• March 28, 2024, 02:27:34 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Accidentally installed an older version firmware, and camera light stays red  (Read 6462 times)

yygan

• Level 1 Member

Hi guys,

Whilst trying to find a solution to the latest java issue which has caused disrupted live feed, I accidentally updated an older version firmware of v1.0.3 as opposed to the newer version firmware of v1.0.6 that was preloaded when I bought the camera recently.

Now the LED light stays red, and I have no way of reaching the camera to reinstall the newer version firmware. I've tried hard resetting it using the small pinhole at the back but to no avail.

Anyone has any advice on how to fix this?  :(

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic

Can you access the camera directly by entering the IP address of the DCS-5020L in a web browser from a PC on the same LAN as the camera?
DCS Network Cameras - How to Install Firmware in My DCS Network Camera
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

yygan

• Level 1 Member

I obtained the IP initially using the setup interface. However after loading the older firmware, I am not able to run the setup interface to detect the IP anymore. I also went into my router to check on devices connected to it, and couldn't find the camera amongst it.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Is the camera connected to your router using a wired connection?

yygan

• Level 1 Member

Yup both my laptop and camera are connected using the ethernet cable. Everything was fine before I accidentally loaded the older firmware. The hardware is still the same - A1 I think, not sure why the camera LED wouldn't turn green.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Things to try: (1) Power down the router and DCS-5020L; (2) Power-up the camera; (3) power-up the router; (4) try accessing the DCS-5020L via IP (reference the IP through your router connected device table) from a PC on the same LAN.
Also, make sure you use this procedure to perform the factory reset: DCS Network Cameras - Factory Reset Procedure

yygan

• Level 1 Member

Hi there,

I've tried all that

1. Power down both camera and router
2. Power up camera then router
3. Use cable for both camera and laptop. I even swapped cables to ensure the cables are working fine.

4. I've tried the hard reset.

To no avail. The camera power light still stays red.

Anything else I am missing here?

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

In what country did you purchase the camera?
When did you purchase your DCS-5020L?

yygan

• Level 1 Member

I bought it in Malaysia, barely a month plus ago around Jan 7th.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Do you have the option to exchange the camera at the vendor where you made the purchase?

I can't speak for Malaysia, but the D-Link warranty period in the U.S. is 1 year from the date of purchase, during which time a defective product can be returned (with an approved RMA) for a replacement at no cost.

yygan

• Level 1 Member

Hi there, called up the shop where I bought the camera from and they mentioned that the policy is for me to return it and wait for repair...which is in 4 to 6 weeks apparently.

Too bad it takes such a long time, but I guess that's the only option that I have for now. Thanks so much for your assistance.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

From what I know of these cameras, when they are rendered inoperable due to a corrupt/bad FW upgrade there is no FW stored in ROM for recovery. This means that home users or third parties can't fix the issue unless they have the wherewithal to access the camera from the back-end to restore the firmware. Cameras faced with this scenario typically have to go back to D-Link.

yygan

• Level 1 Member

Seems like it. Well, I managed to call Dlink hot line and found that I can do a RMA for the product.

Real happy with the after service given by Dlink, will be sure to continue using and buying the products. Thanks so much for your help again.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic

Glad I was able to help. Post back and let us know how your replacement works out!
I've been using my DCS-5020L for well over a year without any issues. ;)