D-Link Wireless Access Points For Business > DAP-2695

DAP-2695 Band Steering?

(1/4) > >>

bmax1985:
I have a DAP-2695 which per the spec sheet is capable of 'band steering'.  The manual makes no mention of this.

Based on my research, band steering will automatically push a 5GHz capable device to the 5GHz radio after it connects.

I have both radios enabled, I can connect to each individually (if I change one of the SSID's).  With both SSID's set identical and no authentication of any kind, all of my devices connect and stay at 2.4 GHz.

Does band steering only happen if the 2.4 Ghz becomes saturated?

I called support and the guy was quite clueless.  I had to explain to him what band steering was.

Here's the article about it on D-Link's site:  http://www.dlink.com/uk/en/technology/band-steering

FurryNutz:
Link>Welcome!

* What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
* Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
* What region are you located?
I recommend that you might change the SSIDS between the two radios to be different, at least as test.

I presume that the steering and connections are dependent upon if the wireless devices is both 2.4 and 5Ghz supporting.

This "Band Steering" is new to me as well.  :-\

bmax1985:
Hardware version:  A1
Firmware:  1.00
Region is USA

Based on the D-Link support page there are no downloads for the product.  It doesn't even have a selector for hardware version so I assume A1 is all there is at this time.

If I set a different SSID for the 5GHz band I can in fact connect so I'm sure that it's not a compatibility issue with the radio.  Perhaps a compatibility issue with 'band steering' but support has been little help.  Their last response was:

'It is enabled automatically if or when the SSID of both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz is set the same.'

I of course have tried it with SSID set to the same and different at this point.

FurryNutz:
Well I think this model is a newer model so it's new to the world. I'll ask and see if I can get some info about it from D-Link.

;)

bmax1985:
Thanks.  That's what I figured.  Unfortunately I'll be deploying it to a customers site and the band steering functionality was the cardinal selling point.

Otherwise I'm impressed with the unit.  Ordering one for home too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version