• April 16, 2024, 02:50:15 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't Map to DNS...Help!  (Read 11776 times)

QS

• Level 1 Member
Can't Map to DNS...Help!
« on: August 06, 2009, 05:39:02 AM »

Hi. I have two DNS-343 boxes. One is already mapped and works beatifully. My second refuses to be mapped. Can you help?

1.  Windows XP3
2.  When I try to map, I get this msg "\\mydns is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permission. The network path was not found"
3.  Tried NET USE X: \\<IP address>\<sharename>  and I got, "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found"

But I can do the following with my second box:

1.  Ping it
2.  Use my browser to log in as admin
3.  Use FTP program to copy and move files

Tried Add New Network...no joy. My Network Places displays the second box but nada. Disabled my AV...  still nada.   Suggestion? Thanks.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
Re: Can't Map to DNS...Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 08:32:45 AM »

What firmware?

Running any anti-virus or personal firewall software?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 07:01:22 PM »

What network services are you running on your network?  You may need to flush your DNS/WINS resolver caches.

Also double check your WORKGROUP, IP address, Subnet, Gateway on the DNS to make sure you didn't accidentally transpose a value or something.

HTH,

QS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 11:42:52 PM »

What firmware?

Running any anti-virus or personal firewall software?
1.03. Disabled my anti-virus prog. XP firewall is off.

QS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 11:45:59 PM »

What network services are you running on your network?  You may need to flush your DNS/WINS resolver caches.

Also double check your WORKGROUP, IP address, Subnet, Gateway on the DNS to make sure you didn't accidentally transpose a value or something.

HTH,
How do I flush the DNS/WINS?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 10:40:29 AM »

From a command prompt on a workstation:

DNS:

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS   <press ENTER>

WINS:

NBTSTAT -R     <press ENTER>
NBTSTAT -RR   <press ENTER>

If you are able to map to one of your DNS-343's from the same workstation, I suspect that it is not a firewall issue.

It would be very helpful if you could provide some details about your network configuration.  For example, are you connected to a router, if so which model, what is your internal IP range, subnet, etc.  The more information you can provide, the more likely other members will try and assist you in isolating the issue.

HTH,

QS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2009, 04:11:21 AM »

From a command prompt on a workstation:

DNS:

IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS   <press ENTER>

WINS:

NBTSTAT -R     <press ENTER>
NBTSTAT -RR   <press ENTER>

If you are able to map to one of your DNS-343's from the same workstation, I suspect that it is not a firewall issue.

It would be very helpful if you could provide some details about your network configuration.  For example, are you connected to a router, if so which model, what is your internal IP range, subnet, etc.  The more information you can provide, the more likely other members will try and assist you in isolating the issue.

HTH,

I have been away for ten days to try out what a D-Link technician suggested. As such, I have done the following:

1. Backed up my files...2.5TB (took this long via FTP!)
2. Reset DNS-343 to factory settings
3. Re-created the RAID5 array

Still the same problem...one box works beautifully, this one refuses to expand in My Network Places to reveal its Volume_1 folder.

I have flushed DNS and WINS but same result.

More details on my home network:

1. No domain...just workgroup
2. 10.0.0.0/24 with 255.255.255.0 subnet mask
3. Router is D-Link DSL-G604T, our DHCP Server (range: 10.0.0.138 - 10.0.0.254)
4. Both of my DNS-343 boxes are configured on the router with static IP and their MAC addresses   

I am guessing that my box is not "advertising" its Volume_1 folder. Samba or something like it not working on the box perhaps? It worked beautifully when it was running firmware 1.01. It now has 1.03...perhaps an issue with it?  Would anyone know where I can download 1.01?

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2009, 10:02:28 AM »

I'm running two DNS-343 and two DNS-323 with no issues on the same network.  In a previous post, you indicated that you can map to the device by IP Address and not by name resolution.  If this is the case, there appears to be an issue with NetBIOS resolution on your network.

Few things to try:

1. Remove the statically assigned IP/MAC entry from the router.
2. Restart the router, shouldn't be necessary but just to eliminate that variable
3. Change the DNS-343 'WORKGROUP' name to something else - ex: MYDNS343
4. Restart the DNS-343
5. Look at the OLED IP Address, confirm the router allocated the IP in DHCP, perform a PING on the IP
6. Change the DNS-343 'WORKGROUP' name back to what it was - ex: WORKGROUP
7. Restart the DNS-343
8. Look at the OLED IP Address, confirm the router allocated the IP in DHCP, perform a PING on the IP

Post your results again ... see if we can get to root of the problem.  If you decide to move up the firmware, I noticed the 1.03b75 is out; if you step back, 1.02 should be fine ... that's the revision I am running on my DNS-343's.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 10:05:37 AM by hilaireg »

QS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:59:38 AM »

I'm running two DNS-343 and two DNS-323 with no issues on the same network.  In a previous post, you indicated that you can map to the device by IP Address and not by name resolution.  If this is the case, there appears to be an issue with NetBIOS resolution on your network.

Few things to try:

2. Restart the router, shouldn't be necessary but just to eliminate that variable
4. Restart the DNS-343
5. Look at the OLED IP Address, confirm the router allocated the IP in DHCP, perform a PING on the IP
7. Restart the DNS-343
8. Look at the OLED IP Address, confirm the router allocated the IP in DHCP, perform a PING on the IP

Post your results again ... see if we can get to root of the problem.  If you decide to move up the firmware, I noticed the 1.03b75 is out; if you step back, 1.02 should be fine ... that's the revision I am running on my DNS-343's.

Cheers,

1.02 didn't help. I'll try 1.03b75 and see. I have requested for an RMA, hopefully D-Link can help fix or replace. Many thanks.

QS

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 06:42:52 AM »

Few things to try:

4. Restart the DNS-343
7. Restart the DNS-343

Cheers,

Hi hilaireg. Just to clarify. I can FTP to this box with no problems. I can use HTTP to log in to the box using either its IP address or its name. I think I mentioned before that my second DNS-343 works perfectly. I can map drives to the second box with no problems. Seems that my first box refuses to reveal its Volume_1 folder in My Network Places, NET USE, or UNC attempts. Quite a baffling problem I'd say. Since my second DNS-343 works perfectly, I've ruled out issues with AV, Firewall, router, etc.

Suggestions? Thanks.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2009, 05:14:20 AM »

Hi QS,

Sorry for the late reply ... experiencing some ISP issues connecting to forums.dlink.com - having to connect via a different ISP to see the site.

To recap,

• You tried the last series of tests that I posted and obtained the same results.
  • You can connect to the device using IP but not NetBIOS.
  • You performed the tests from the same workstation that you use to connect to the other DNS-343 that you own - which is not having the issue.
  • You reset the unit to factory settings and still no luck.
  • You updated the firmware to 1.03b75 and still no luck.

Your last description continues to elude to a NetBIOS related issue somewhere on the network; based on what you have tried and your described network configuration, I'll agree that this is a most baffling problem.

I can only think of two other suggestions to try to see if resolves the issue; they are:

1) Reconfigure your internal IP network from 10.x.x.x to 192.168.x.x.
2) Factory reset your router and manually rebuild the configuration - i.e. don't restore a config.

If you happen to have another router handy:

• Configure the temp router for 192.168.x.x (don't worry about WAN side since this is just a temp test)
  • Enable DHCP
  • Power down a workstation
  • Power down the problematic DNS-343
  • Move them over to the temp router
  • Power up the workstation and DNS-343
  • Confirm that IP's are obtained from the temp router DHCP
  • Perform connectivity tests

You've exhausted all of the "quick" resolutions I can think of, so now we're down to drastic measures.  If other members can share some insights, I'm certain it would be most welcomed.

Cheers,
« Last Edit: August 20, 2009, 05:11:32 AM by hilaireg »

skutnar

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2009, 10:36:04 AM »

Some info that might help with the issue:
I just installed my 343 yesterday, and set it up with the name "dlink01", keeping the default description of "DNS-343".  My gateway computer runs ClarkConnect 4.3 and it's the DHCP/DNS server for the internal network.  After setting up the 343, I was able to access its web config page using the DNS name of dlink01.  For some time, this name continued to work, but at some point it quit working.  Checking on the ClarkConnect box, I noticed the lease had been renewed with the name "DNS-343", instead of "dlink01".  Sure enough, using dns-343 in the web browser worked.  Could there be a bug in the DHCP renewal process on the 343 that uses the incorrect name for registration?  BTW, firmware version is currently 1.02, but I plan to go to beta at some point soon.

hilaireg

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 04:17:35 PM »

Interesting ...

I recall reading in either the DNS-323 or DNS-343 release notes about a fix pertaining to Device Name - for the life of me, now I can't find it.

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2009, 03:43:33 PM »

QS

Have you tried it from another PC yet?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

NFN_NLN

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2015, 07:37:23 PM »

Rebuilt RAID-1 from failed drive.  System came back online but I could no longer mount CIFS shares.

Same message:

3.  Tried NET USE X: \\<IP address>\<sharename>  and I got, "System error 53 has occurred. The network path was not found"

----

This finally worked:

Advanced -> Network Access -> Network Access Settings (box) -> Click "Reset Network Access List"

Problem solved

Pages: [1] 2