• March 29, 2024, 12:14:01 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DIR-825 Loses wireless connection  (Read 9417 times)

just8laz3d

• Level 1 Member
DIR-825 Loses wireless connection
« on: December 31, 2009, 09:30:31 AM »

Hello. My DIR-825 used to work flawlessly until one morning I woke up and had no wireless signal. I did a simple reset, then all wass good. Since that time though, i can not run more than one wireless device at a time. I have 2 laptops and a xbox running wireless. If I use both laptops or laptop and xbox at the same time, my wireless signal drops out for bout 30 seconds and turns back on. This is constant. If I only run one wireless device then i get no dropouts at all. Does anyone have a solution for this problem. Please help. These drop outs defeat the purpose of me having a dual band router.

Thanks in advance.

kamshah

• Level 1 Member
Re: DIR-825 Loses wireless connection
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 03:29:48 PM »

I had a similar problem. I spoke to D-link and it seems that people there are also not so knowledgeable about it. They could not tell me what to do pinpointedly and bitting around the bush is not my style. However, I figured out that if I disable "Auto Connect" on my Laptop ( and this issue is only when  I used the 5GHz. network. It works fine with 2.4 otherwise) and started connecting manually after my Laptop boots up. And this seems to be working properly after then. I have been using like this for a couple of months and not did I have encountered the same problem. I hope Dlink fixes this bug in their updated firmware.

Also after I changed the position of the router and hung it as high as I could, the connectivity has been very stable and I am able to get like 30% signal strength and 165Mbps speed and it goes as high as 35% signal strength and 246Mbps at times.....It means that if you hang your router as far and as high as possible from your modem/pc, it renders at a good speed and signal strength.......However, I am still not satisfied with it giving me only 30% signal strength.....70% is lost.....and I know there are a no. of factors afftecting it.....but at this strength and speed I m able to stream HD content from Net without interruptions and so I am OK for the time being....

just8laz3d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 10:44:55 AM »

Thank you for the response. My problem is a little different. It doesn't matter what band i'm on.... if more than one device is running that requires wireless, then it randomly shuts off. If i'm just using one wireless device on the network, then it is fine on either bandwidth. When I first bought this router I ran all my wireless devices at the same time flawlessly. Now I can only run one wireless device at a time or the wireless signal shuts off and restarts every 5min or so. hard wired connects do not suffer from this, just wireless.

I must say it is a little frustrating that NO ONE from d-link can offer at least a response to this. What is this forum for? Is it for end users to figure out there problems with other end users? If so....this is sad. I must say at this point i'm feeling like D-link tech support doesn't exist.

Thanks again for trying to help Kamlesh.

rickm1350

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 11:07:44 AM »

I notice from your original post that you said your DIR825 used to work perfect.  I'm just wondering if maybe you have tried doing a hard reset on it?

just8laz3d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2010, 11:18:49 AM »

Thanks for the response. Yes I have tried the hard reset, still same results. When one wireless device is running only, I have no problems whatsoever. But if my laptop is on, and then I turn my xbox or my other laptop or both of them, then I get drops every 5min or so, sometimes more often. If I just leave the xbox on and turn off the laptops then no problem either. Basically I can only run one wireless device at a time to get no dropouts. Signal strength is 5 bars, and my laptop is 3 inches from the router. Also I run my one laptop at "N" 5ghz and the xbox at 2.4, and the other laptop at 2.4. So basically the devices aren't even on the same bandwidth. its almost like the router just cannot handle multiple wireless devices anymore and it used to with no problems. I am so fed up with wireless, I think i'm gonna just switch back to Powerline adapters. And by the way my hard wired devices do not suffer from this problem.

Thanks for your response Rick

just8laz3d

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 11:03:51 AM »

Ideas? Anybody?

gogge61

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2010, 01:14:48 PM »

I just bought my 825 and it has only been problems so it's going back.

The main problem is that we loose internet 4 times every hour and my boys told me to switch back to the old DIR-624 that worked much better. I hoped to get some support from D-link but after 1h on their phone I gave up and I also sent in through their new support function twice but when I look at my entries there are none so most of what D-link is doing right now is not working and they claim to be the best of what they do...

My internet supplier guaranties that there have been no hick ups in their modem/router. I can second that because all machines that I connect directly to this router works without problems.

I wonder if Force are making dual band router now adays?

petz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 06:26:14 PM »

Ideas? Anybody?

A problem with a lot of adaptors is that, by default, the DIR-825 changes channels when it thinks the signal isn't good. Uncheck the checkbox next ot "Enable Auto Channel Scan :."

Then you can pick a channel. Just about everything seems to default to 6, so I would avoid that one.

This trick worked to get the DIR-825 to work with a Hawking repeater. Before I unchecked the box, it would drop connection several times a minute.

Petz

rickm1350

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2010, 12:17:29 AM »

I agree, it seems like all the manufacturers default their routers to channel 6.  I changed mine to channel 1.  I live out of town in the country and still have 3 other routers around me all on channel 6.

My DIR-825 never disconnects from the internet, and I'm using both bands, 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz at the same time.  Works great.