• March 28, 2024, 08:55:50 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Switching between cameras as baby monitor  (Read 2652 times)

mhurley131

• Level 1 Member
Switching between cameras as baby monitor
« on: January 02, 2016, 07:01:33 AM »

I'd like to use DLink cameras as baby monitors to replace a Motorola system that is on its last leg.    DLink seems to advertise a few cameras specifically for this functionality.

The issue I have is that we have two babies, and would need to automatically switch between the cameras throughout the night so that we can hear if one of them is crying.  This is a pretty basic function of a baby monitor, and our Motorola system switches between the cameras every 10-15 seconds.

From what I can tell, the DLink Cloud app does not support this, correct?    Is there another way to accomplish this?   

Without that functionality, these cameras have a real limitation.    The only way I can monitor my two children is to have two ipads in our room...which isn't practical. 

Sean2a

• Level 1 Member
Re: Switching between cameras as baby monitor
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 01:50:31 PM »

I have a DNR, which records. Using that, I am able to watch both cameras live on my phone or app, unlike the mydlink app that I believe you have to click on the camera to get a feed/ update it. Though I don't believe you get sound that way. I believe the PC access of that device (DNR-202) had a mode that auto switches back and forth between cameras. Though if you will only be using as a baby monitor/ have no need to record, that's probably not a practical purchase - in which case the two tablet thing might be your best option.  As a side note, if your camera supports it you could set it to "'detect sound and motion" and there may be a way to send you notifications  on your mobile device when either is detected. Just a thought

oldsniper

• Level 1 Member
Re: Switching between cameras as baby monitor
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2016, 02:41:05 PM »

MHurley: No, No. Even though Dlink software is not too smart, you can be. This method is using IE on W7.
Just set up two (smaller, side-by-side) windows on your laptop. Call them 1. and 2.
1. Log in to MyDlink and select the 1st camera. AOK here so far. You have "Live View" on camera 1. Now
2. Login to MyDlink on the second window (you are already logged in so you will be connected at once), BUT...
   the second window must be switched to the 2nd camera. HOWEVER...
   the second window will not connect under 2nd camera "Live View". So just click on "Settings", go to the
   the "advanced" unprotected, invalid certificate webpage and watch the 2nd camera (live) under "Live Video". 
   *** make sure the Time Stamp display at the top is running! ***  This can be a fooler.

Actually, you can just watch both cameras under the "advanced Settings" "Live Video". I haven't tried 4-6 cameras.

Done.