• March 28, 2024, 01:18:51 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't watch some video on the internet  (Read 10885 times)

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
Can't watch some video on the internet
« on: November 24, 2008, 05:31:41 PM »

I am using a DIR-655 router with a DWA-142 (D-Link USB- I can't use a standard adapter).  When I watch a television show on Fox.com, the video freezes for about half a second every 10 seconds.  It makes the video unwatchable.

Are there any solutions to this?  Are there any settings I can change on the router?  I tried shutting down the firewall and antivirus, but nothing works. I tried Cablenut, but that did not work.

kegobeer

Re: Can't watch some video on the internet
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 05:41:12 PM »

What are the specs on your computer?  Do you have USB 2.0, or is it 1.1?  Do you have a lot of USB devices connected?

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 06:35:43 PM »

Windows XP desktop

USB 2.0 ...with 2 other USB devices..Mouse and keyboard.

There is laptop in our network that is able to view the same videos (with a g adapter).  I can watch Youtube videos.

There is desktop hardwired to the router that will not play the videos at all (mine at least run).  That I don't understand at all.  If it is hardwired, I thought that would be a better connection.   If anyone has a solution for that computer, that would work as well.

For the router I am using 1.10 firmware. 1.11 does not work for me (no idea why) and I am hesitant to go to 1.20 because of all the problems people are having.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 06:39:52 PM by kevinla »

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 09:17:19 PM »

My guess is the router is not involved in the problem.  If true, you should be able to connect the affected computer directly to the broadband modem and get the same result (won't work on the one, halts every 10 seconds, or works fine -- just the same as when connected).    If it still fails when the router is bypassed, it is unlikely that any adjustment to the router will improve it.

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:47:54 PM »

I think I might have found the problem, but no solution.

I read something in the FAQ for the video player about CPU usage. It stated that if CPU usage was over 75%, it could cause a problem with video playback. I looked in Windows Task Manager (CTR-ALT-DEL) under "Performance" and my CPU usage is at 100% when playing the video. When I looked under "Processes", over 95% was for iexplore.exe (my browser I assume).  When I am not watching video, iexplore usage is less than 5%.  It seems the browser

I would say that I have too much stuff running, but it is the browser that is taking up all the usage.

If someone wants to be really helpful, it would be great to find out what the CPU usage is on your computer (specifically, the browser under Processes ) CTR-ALT-DEL) when playing the video and if it is choppy.

http://www.fox.com/fod/play.php?sh=tscc
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 11:52:30 PM by kevinla »

funchords

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2008, 11:31:35 AM »

Sorry,

Nothing will run well when the CPU is at 100%.  Basically that means that there is more work to do than there is processor to do it. 

You need to take that up with Fox.  They're running a proprietary viewer that won't run on Linux.  If they want people to be able to help one another in support of their site's features, they should choose standard Internet products.

kevinla

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2008, 01:38:01 PM »

Sorry,

Nothing will run well when the CPU is at 100%.  Basically that means that there is more work to do than there is processor to do it. 

You need to take that up with Fox.  They're running a proprietary viewer that won't run on Linux.  If they want people to be able to help one another in support of their site's features, they should choose standard Internet products.

It might be that my computer is a dinosaur.  I have a Pentium 4 (1.6).  It is the minimum requirment for the video player.  I was hoping there were some adjustments I could make to make it work.

I found the videos on www.aol.televions.com.  The quality isn't great, but oh well.

If anyone has any ideas, that would be great.

arod

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2008, 02:54:57 PM »

It probably wouldn't hurt to do a little upgarde.. parts are cheap now let alone a whole new computer  ;)