• April 27, 2024, 03:25:44 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: Beta firmware 1.21 Beta (3rd phase)  (Read 66295 times)

Ru-Fi-Oh

Re: Beta firmware 1.21 Beta (3rd phase)
« Reply #45 on: October 23, 2009, 03:56:09 PM »

The only problem that I still have with this router is when I try to use PS3 remote play over the internet the router keeps turning my PS3 on please fix this please!!!!!!!!!!

How is the router turning your PS3 on? Please elaborate on your setup. What are you doing exactly when this happens?

Ru-Fi-Oh

« Reply #46 on: October 23, 2009, 03:56:54 PM »

Ru-Fi-Oh, with this new build my wireless on the 5Ghz N band is horrible! My laptop is 20 feet from the the router and it gets 28% signal strength. If i switch to the 2.4 N band I get 100% signal. I never had this problem with any of the other firmwares. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What hardware version is your router?

aerylexa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #47 on: October 23, 2009, 04:08:18 PM »

A1.

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
« Reply #48 on: October 23, 2009, 10:42:24 PM »

Omg Someone please explain this to me and should i do this to my router (I wish Ru-Fi-Oh would reply to this) Read the quote for more information, its talking about a black metal shield shorting out on the shild cause the leads on the router what, what?

Seeing as there has been really good results from the beta 3 firmware, I got my router out today and updated the firmware. After I did this, I went into the configuration menu and set a few items including passwords, and wireless configuration. Once I was done, I gave it to one of my neighbors who I knew could use it seeing as he is into WoW.

emilanderson,

One thing you might want to do is remove the Black metal shield from under the circuit board. It seems that with the A1 units they may have a problem with the leads on the bottom of the circuit board shorting out on the shield.

I removed mine early on and I noticed that there were some scratches on it from the leads on the bottom of the circuit board. It did seem to help alleviate some of the problems.

There are two screws located on the bottom of the unit under the rear rubber feet. After these screws are removed, turn the unit right side up, then squeeze the top edge along the back of the unit just above the wide band about a couple of inches from the sides, prying up at the same time like you're trying to get something stubborn open. After the first time, it becomes easy to repeat.

But as it is, I am satisfied with my NetGear WNDR3700
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

sphinx99

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #49 on: October 24, 2009, 02:30:04 AM »

New poster here but lurker for a long time.  I too have had terrible results with this router, but am noticing some performance improvement with this firmware.  However I just had my first reboot after about 2 days.  So the rebooting problem seems to continue, just takes 2 days instead of 1.  I have the A1 version and am pretty much fed up at this point and will get the Netgear / file with BBB.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 02:41:14 AM by sphinx99 »

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #50 on: October 24, 2009, 07:54:06 AM »

Master860,
               The metal leads I'm talking about is the wire leads from the components sticking through the circuit board where they are soldered on the bottom. Some of the leads are longer than others and the circuit board is sitting directly on top of the black anodized metal plate with no shielding material to prevent shorts.

The metal plate is light enough that you might think it is plastic, but it's not. Any scratches on the surface of this plate from the wire leads can cause shorts which can change the behavior or the router.

I'm not saying all the routers have this problem, but I did notice that my A1 had this problem and once the plate was removed, some of the problems cleared up. Other problems though (firmware related) remained.

I found out about this problem early on cause I was frustrated enough with my DGL-4500 to open it up and take it apart to see what was what with the inside and that was how I found out about the problem with the metal shield under the circuit board.

After I found out about this problem, I did post about it back then as Puffnstuff and a few other ought to be able to confirm.
So I do not know if D-Link corrected this problem with the A2 units or not.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

UserCookie69

• Level 1 Member
    • My X-Fire Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 24, 2009, 08:08:07 AM »

things are solid now it seems shareport is still bsuted and wireless still drops packets like no other but 24-48 other rebbot seems to be gone as of right now

LookIntoMyEyees

• Level 5 Member
  • Let me lend you a hand & solutions shall follow.
« Reply #52 on: October 24, 2009, 09:39:40 AM »

Dragonslore,

Ty very much for your reply :). Infact i also have a a1 unit with firmware 1.02, I am in warrenty so i do not know if i should take mines apart and do this to it? Everything is working fine with mines but if this causes issues i would like to remove it.
Did I Help? If So, Say So! ShHHhh!, Just LookIntoMyEyees! No one is perfect, we all make mistakes.

Legionx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #53 on: October 24, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »

Dragonslore,

Ty very much for your reply :). Infact i also have a a1 unit with firmware 1.02, I am in warrenty so i do not know if i should take mines apart and do this to it? Everything is working fine with mines but if this causes issues i would like to remove it.

I would not take it apart unless your warranty is up since it will most likely void it if you do. Should really be more testing on that to see if it does cause problems. Pretty much if you don't have a problem i would not remove it because unless you slamming router on the ground or shaking it you are not going to move the circuit board so it touches the anodized plate let alone scratch it. But i can see if people had this issue it would most likely occur the first day they got it instead of just happening over time. But seriously Dragonslore you should not be giving someone this advice i can see reporting the problem but telling someone to open the router which will void there warranty is not really good advice.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 12:43:05 PM by Legionx »

Dragonslore

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #54 on: October 24, 2009, 12:51:36 PM »

Believe me, it does touch the anodized metal plate as there is no insulating material between the circuit board and the plate.

As to shaking and or banging the unit, you don't need to do this for there to be problems.

From the point of manufacture, to the shipper, to the store, to the time you get the router setup, there is plenty of opportunity for the router to be shook up and or banged enough to scratch the metal plate to cause any possible shorts.

Like I said, all units may not be affected by this, but it is a flaw in the manufacture of the unit.
- Excuse the writing, I've got a Dyslexic Keyboard

Legionx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #55 on: October 24, 2009, 01:14:52 PM »

Believe me, it does touch the anodized metal plate as there is no insulating material between the circuit board and the plate.

As to shaking and or banging the unit, you don't need to do this for there to be problems.

From the point of manufacture, to the shipper, to the store, to the time you get the router setup, there is plenty of opportunity for the router to be shook up and or banged enough to scratch the metal plate to cause any possible shorts.

Like I said, all units may not be affected by this, but it is a flaw in the manufacture of the unit.

Yes it is a flaw in the manufacturing of the unit but sadly the way almost all them work you put matters into your own hands they kinda reward you by taking your warranty away even if you find a problem. If its touching not sure if its a manufacturing error or all of them are like that or were damaged during the shipping process and maybe that's why some routers work and some don't but yea something to look into. Yea if someone else does decide on there own terms to take the router apart to see if they have the same problem take pictures of it. Would really be nice to see the differences between the A2 and A1 because maybe they changed that.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 01:30:45 PM by Legionx »

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #56 on: October 24, 2009, 09:32:51 PM »

Seems perfectly fine with the original settings that I had with GameFuel rules, as well as DNS Relay.  I currently have 10 days of uptime so far.

Legionx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #57 on: October 24, 2009, 09:42:41 PM »

Seems perfectly fine with the original settings that I had with GameFuel rules, as well as DNS Relay.  I currently have 10 days of uptime so far.

I'm up for 5 days on mine which is an A1 with game fuel activated, Wish activated, with no DNS relay. But enabling it now and seeing how everything goes. Overall everything working well but for anyone who does use this firmware it's best to build your configuration from scratch instead of reloading your old configuration file. 
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 09:49:12 PM by Legionx »

Legionx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #58 on: October 24, 2009, 10:04:02 PM »

So is this firmware safe to download? Have the issues of rebooting/slow as hell, wireless dropping packets finally been fixed? What's the overall opinion? I don't want to update until I am for sure it is fixed.

It is safe and being going well for a lot of people including myself. Wireless will still drop packets but there is not a wireless connection that does not drop packets. Rebooting has being fixed for the majority of people just make sure you rebuild your configuration by scratch instead of importing a saved configuration file.

For wireless the amount of dropped packets depend on a lot of things. Were your router is for one, how far your wireless device is from the router, whats between your walls, electrical lines and other wireless devices can also effect a connection. Overall as long as your not getting over 20% packet loss you should be fine but no matter what a physical cable is always better then wireless.    
« Last Edit: October 24, 2009, 10:06:13 PM by Legionx »

OtilioDJ

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #59 on: October 25, 2009, 02:27:02 PM »

I've been reading and posting on this forum for a bit, and I read your post awhile ago on this very topic! Since my " ORIGINAL UNIT " was under warranty I just took note of the situation. I was one of the few who received a replacement A2 unit. Most of the problems that y'all were having, I too was Having. With the replacement unit most went away EXCEPT the random and inexplicable self reboots and disconnects. After rereading your post I did some exploratory surgery, like you mentioned the anodized heat sink / grounding plate had some pretty bad scratches and dimples from long leads of various components. I would say that there is some really bad QA and bad manufacturing.
    I've made my mind up, as far as I'm concerned I'll never purchase another D-Link product again!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 02:29:44 PM by OtilioDJ »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9