• April 28, 2024, 02:33:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: wndows xp sp3 notebook will not conect  (Read 7153 times)

Rap89431

wndows xp sp3 notebook will not conect
« on: November 29, 2008, 09:28:31 PM »

I bought the dir 825 and my Vista connects but the Windows XP sp3 will not connect.  Tech support on the phone won't help anymore.  Please help!!!!  Thanks

funchords

• Level 3 Member
Re: wndows xp sp3 notebook will not conect
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2008, 01:04:58 AM »

If you are using WPA or WPA2 security (you should), but you've failed to successfully connect, then one side may blacklist the other and connections are prevented. 

To rectify this and try again, unplug power to the router and reboot the XP machine.  Restore power to the router.   If they continue to lock one another out, then go into the wireless network settings on the XP machine and erase any saved wireless profile information you've saved (it may be incorrect or corrupt).  Reboot both again. 

Rap89431

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2008, 04:37:54 PM »

Thanks for your reply.  It turns out that it was the WPA Personal security issue.   For some reason windows xp sp3 will not connect with this.  When the security mode was changed to WEP then it connected.  I use the 5ghz band and the WPA Personal security on the laptop with Vista and it works fine.  Thanks again.

xmetal

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2008, 09:25:36 AM »

Note that you might be limited to only 54Mbps if WEP is used.

sgip2000

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2008, 03:01:24 PM »

Does your XP installation contain the WPA/WPA2 patch?

curriertech

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2008, 01:06:23 PM »

I'm on XP SP3 using WPA2 and I connect just fine to both the 5GHz and 2.4 GHz radios, so I wouldn't chalk it up to just being a basic compatibility issue.