• April 26, 2024, 10:57:25 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Disappointed with Dlink Hong Kong  (Read 14483 times)

Hong Kong

• Level 1 Member
Disappointed with Dlink Hong Kong
« on: May 24, 2009, 08:15:19 AM »

I am an American National stationed in Hong Kong (China).

I bought the 4500 in Feb from an authorised reseller. I previously used Linksys and had no issues with their products.

After I set up my 4500 one of my older IBM laptops could not detect the wifi signal most of the time and there were times where it would disconnect and not show up on the list of routers. I contacted the store I bought it from and the local support (Dlink Distributor) who asked me to go to the Dlink China Chinese language website....which is in Chinese and I cant read it.

Finally after many calls I was asked to download the new FW 1.20 from the US site and manually upgrade my routers FW to 1.20. I just did that and now it does not work at all. I cannot connect to my ISP.

I called the Dlink distributor again and he said perhaps the firmware was only for North America and laughed. Then he said I could try downgrading or buy a new DGL 4500 from one of his many retailers.

I am quite fed up of this BS so what are my options here. Can I downgrade and get this working or is there any fix for this?

Thanks
« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:32:31 AM by Hong Kong »

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: Disappointed with Dlink Hong Kong
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 02:25:01 PM »

The firmware IS for North America, hence the "NA" in the version....

You bought the router in China, yet you flashed it with the North American version?  Well, that wasn't smart.

Now, in case you didn't know, the Wifi radio channels differ greatly from here in the US.  Japan and China I believe go up to 14.  Some laptops aren't capable of that.

I am sure there are signals that aren't even allowed there as well.

Now, you bricking your router, or causing it not to function isn't D-Link's fault.  It was user error.  Your option is to try and get an RMA, and explain what happened, or simply move on and buy another router.  Or heck, even return it to the store you got it from.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2009, 02:28:56 PM »

I am quite fed up of this BS so what are my options here. Can I downgrade and get this working or is there any fix for this?

No.

Try and see if you can get an RMA. Should have kept with Linksys...

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 06:30:26 PM »

No.

Try and see if you can get an RMA. Should have kept with Linksys...

I did get an RMA..

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 07:53:22 PM »

Well I had a linksys router which was a total pos which is what brought me to d-link and the dgl-4500.  I hope they can sort out the remaining troubles before long.  As for the op he did not read the release notes prior to flashing his non NA router with the wrong stuff.  He trashed his own product and should not be here bashing d-link for his mistake.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 09:08:09 PM »

Well I had a linksys router which was a total pos which is what brought me to d-link and the dgl-4500.  I hope they can sort out the remaining troubles before long.  As for the op he did not read the release notes prior to flashing his non NA router with the wrong stuff.  He trashed his own product and should not be here bashing d-link for his mistake.

Exactly.  Hence why it was user error.  User errors can be costly, and can ultimately void your warranty too. 

Again as I said earlier, I gave you choices on WHAT YOU CAN DO TO FIX THIS.  However, if you keep up that same attitude, you won't get very far - yet alone help from this forum.

anon

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2009, 01:23:27 AM »

I did get an RMA..

You do know I was talking to the op. Unless that is you...

Hong Kong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2009, 04:54:16 AM »

>>>The firmware IS for North America, hence the "NA" in the version....<<

Rubbish . Its the same FW as HK. The only difference is it disables the 3G which I don't need anyway.

I managed to get in touch with the main Dlink distributor here as Dlink does not have an office in HK. Their staff themselves are fed up of complaints about this product and cannot understand why its not fixed or recalled.

They are replacing my router with a new DGL 4500 which I might give to someone I don't like for free. I should have stopped by here before I bought this POS router.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 04:55:47 AM by Hong Kong »

Hong Kong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2009, 04:29:45 AM »

Update:
Had my router replaced and will not be using it. I'm using my old trusty Linksys N.

The staff at Dlink here insisted that there are complaints all over the net about Dlink routers because

1. Its a popular brand and they are fans
2. The R&D makes great products that are more advanced than current "Humans"

I am still trying to figure out wtf he means but either way Dlink lost a customer. I hope you guys get you stuff resolved. IMO its best to buy a new router and move on. These guys don't care about the customer.

marvan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2009, 02:04:54 AM »

Hi Hong Kong,

I'm fully understand your unhappiness experiences.  Even I'm a HK Chinese, I'm also not satisfy to the services level by the HK distributors and vendors especially that they are not good in English which will cause worse services & handling.

Honorsly, I'm quite happy to new D-Link products (generations after 2007, before was crab).  The performance is good and features is very rich and very stable.  Before I used D-Link DGL-4500, I used many Draft-N routers like Belkin which is stylist but 20~40% more expensive (compare to other brand name with the same features).  Also the hotline/support (originally from Belkin) are not much responsive and even dead air after couple replies , in the result is no solution at all.  The big issue for me to black listed the Belkin routers due to the brand doesn't put DHCP reservation in their product lines which is commonly built-in by all other brands.  I also used 2 Buffalo routers (cheaper but no support from the manufacturer), NetGear WNR854T and Linksys WRT-300N.  Both the supports from NetGear and Linksys are very good but these 2 models are always halted every few days (required power recycle)which can't be fixed by the 3~6 newer firmware which I've tried, finally I changed to other brands.

Unforturnately, the latest firmware v1.20 for DGL-4500 (& DIR-655) is buggy and can't be downgraded.  But, it looks like that D-Link now knows the problem and going to release new beta firmware to fix the problems.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2009, 11:31:30 PM by marvan »
two DIR-X5460 v1.11
DCS-8630LH 1.06.01
two DCS-8526LH 1.08.01
HP EliteDesk 800 i7 running Win11 (on 2nd X5640)
Synology DS620slim NAS (on 2nd X5460)
Macbook Pro 13" M1 (on AX WPA3)
Macbook Pro 15" i7 (on AC WPA2)

marvan

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2009, 06:22:05 AM »

>>>The firmware IS for North America, hence the "NA" in the version....<<

Rubbish . Its the same FW as HK. The only difference is it disables the 3G which I don't need anyway.

Dear Hong Kong,

May I know where you obtained the non-NA firmware v1.20 for DGL-4500?  I've discovered around DLink worldwide but only v1.20NA can be found.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2009, 06:33:56 AM by marvan »
two DIR-X5460 v1.11
DCS-8630LH 1.06.01
two DCS-8526LH 1.08.01
HP EliteDesk 800 i7 running Win11 (on 2nd X5640)
Synology DS620slim NAS (on 2nd X5460)
Macbook Pro 13" M1 (on AX WPA3)
Macbook Pro 15" i7 (on AC WPA2)

Hong Kong

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2009, 04:37:40 PM »

@Marwan
There is no 1.20 FW for HK at the moment. The only FW out is the NA(US) version. This works fine with the HK router except that it disables 3G. If 3G is not important the US 1.20 is fine.

FYI the problem with the dealers here is not the English levels but the general FU attitude towards consumers once you have paid them.

Gomnadz

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2009, 02:13:33 AM »

FYI the problem with the dealers here is not the English levels but the general FU attitude towards consumers once you have paid them.

that no bueno!!! that does really suck when you get that attitude after you give them your $$$$.

hopefully a new FM will be out soon which will fix the problems.

philwoz98

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2010, 07:12:44 PM »

You should be able to downgrade, follow the link
http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/r23720820-downgrade-possible-DGL4500-12xNA115

FYI, this model router is not supported or developed for use out side of the USA region.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 11:29:48 AM by FurryNutz »