• April 25, 2024, 09:41:03 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: REPOST: Fun-plug on 343 with firmware 1.03?  (Read 6034 times)

AlainB

• Level 1 Member
REPOST: Fun-plug on 343 with firmware 1.03?
« on: December 06, 2009, 06:10:51 AM »

Trying again - the thread got hijacked to another subject - would like to see if anyone can help with my original question.  Here it is:

Hello

New 343 user here.  Learning a lot!

I would love to use Time Machine to back up the Macs on my network.  I understand this is not possible out of the box.  Following the instructions for the installation of fun_plug (http://nas-tweaks.net/CH3SNAS:Tutorials/fun_plug).  But when I install the files and reboot the 343, the files don't unpack.  Am I missing something?  anyone seen this before?

Thanks
Alain

« Last Edit: December 11, 2009, 03:26:04 PM by AlainB »

EricNorth

• Level 1 Member
Re: Fun-plug on 343 with firmware 1.03?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2009, 11:44:04 PM »

Good evening all,

I fit into this same category.  I'm attempting to get the 343 set up using my Mac.  Is there some way to create multiple volumes in Mac without having to resort to the web-based interface?  It appears that this interface only allows you to create one volume of a particular size in a given configuration of RAID.  The software that comes on the installation CD only works in Windows as far as I can tell.  I've built a 4.5TB volume using RAID5 with four new-out-of-box 1.5TB Western Digital "Caviar Green."  I've upgraded the DNS-343's firmware to 1.03 tonight.

I'd like some help getting the 343 configured to work with Time Machine.  One of the threads in the FAQ mentioned some steps to follow to mount a volume in Finder; I followed these steps and am unable to see the entire volume, only the first 32Gb of 4.5TB.  I've read elsewhere that Mac is limited to up to 1TB, again, I need some way of creating multiple volumes of 1TB or less so that I can use the DNS-343 with my Mac.  Any suggestions?

There seems to be a good amount of documentation on the DNS-343 for Windows users; what about Mac users?

I've read quite a few posts tonight about users experiencing problems with the DNS-343 such as having to re-boot it several times, system-freeze ups, etc.  What has everyone on this forum experienced?  Keep in mind I'm starting with a fresh set of HDDs so if anyone has unpopular feedback with a similar config as mine please let me know.  I'm still within the 7-day window to return this hardware if it is not going to do what I need it to do using only macs on the network.

Thanks very much for your help,

Eric

bigg_3522

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 02:03:48 PM »

when you look at the status page of the NAS in safari, the total size of the drive, is it what 4.5 TB should look like?  I had a simular issue with 4x 1.5 TB WD green drives, and I needed to update the firmware to 1.3 to correct my issue where I could only format 96 GB, after the firmware update I was able to see the full 4.5 TB.  I am running 10.5.8 as well.

I should note, that after the firmware update, I had to delete the partition, and reconfigure it for raid 5.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 02:05:33 PM by bigg_3522 »

EricNorth

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2009, 10:12:43 PM »

Hi,

I'm seeing approx 4.5TB in Firefox after upgrading to 1.03.  I'm running 10.4.11, there's this whole thing about me wanting to upgrade to Snow Leopard, I've even got the disks.  But first, I want to back everything up to a volume on the NAS, and in order to do that it appears that I need to create a volume that is LEQ 1TB.

Have you had any success creating more than one volume on their DNS-343 using Firefox or Safari on a mac running Tiger?

Thanks,

Eric

jkl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2009, 06:43:49 PM »

I use google chrome when firefox or safari doesn't work for web interfaces.
http://www.google.com/chrome?platform=mac&hl=en-IN

(updated the link)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 06:45:44 PM by jkl »

AlainB

• Level 1 Member
REPOST: Fun-plug on 343 with firmware 1.03?
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2009, 03:29:16 PM »

Trying again - the thread got hijacked to another subject - would like to see if anyone can help with my original question.  Here it is:

Hello

New 343 user here.  Learning a lot!

I would love to use Time Machine to back up the Macs on my network.  I understand this is not possible out of the box.  Following the instructions for the installation of fun_plug (http://nas-tweaks.net/CH3SNAS:Tutorials/fun_plug).  But when I install the files and reboot the 343, the files don't unpack.  Am I missing something?  anyone seen this before?

Thanks
Alain

johnkeye

• Level 2 Member
Re: REPOST: Fun-plug on 343 with firmware 1.03?
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2009, 10:12:14 AM »

The forum you should be spamming is the DNS hacker forum, found here:
http://forum.dsmg600.info/viewforum.php?id=10

To answer the question about why funplug does not work;
1. Open Terminal.app (from /Applications/Utilities/)
2. Change directory to /Volumes
Code: [Select]
cd /Volumes/3. Determine the mountpoint of the DNS-343; this will only appear after you've accessed the drive in Finder.
It'll usually be "Volume_1"
ls4. Assuming it's "Volume_1", change to that dir
cd Volume_15. The nub of the thing: change the fun_plug.sh to be executable;
chmod a+x fun_plug.sh
Anything else: Go to the above URL and register there. There's a lot of people there that are usually quite happy to help, though you should probably use their search function first. There's usually an answer for every problem you might face; including the one I've answered above

AlainB

• Level 1 Member
Re: REPOST: Fun-plug on 343 with firmware 1.03?
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 04:15:53 PM »

Thank you!