• April 16, 2024, 03:33:34 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Turning off DNS 323 using linux command  (Read 4543 times)

random404

• Level 1 Member
Turning off DNS 323 using linux command
« on: July 16, 2011, 11:15:33 AM »

Right now, the way I turn off the DNS 323 is by walking over to the device and holding the power button down for a couple of seconds, then doing it another two times before the light flashes and it shuts down. Alternatively, I load the web interface, log in, navigate to the shutdown button and confirm the shutdown command.

I'm wondering if there might be a simple linux command I could use to safely shutdown the DNS 323 when logged in using either telnet or ssh? Would a 'shutdown now' command or something like that be safe to execute?

(Btw, does everyone's box take about 3 x 2-second presses of the power button to trigger the shutdown operation, or am I the only one who finds turning off the device to be a hassle, though a slight one?)

47th_ronin

• Level 2 Member
Re: Turning off DNS 323 using linux command
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 12:45:52 PM »

there was some shutdown script mentioned either on wiki or somewhere else, but it didn't work. so i use my android browser if my computer is already shut down.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Turning off DNS 323 using linux command
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 03:42:07 PM »

1 - If you press and hold the power button on the DNS-323 until the power LED starts to flash, it will shut down.

2 - An "out-of-the-box" DNS-323 does not allow you to login using either telnet or ssh - you would have to hack it to get that functionality - making any further discussion of the topic inappropriate for this forum.

Assuming you know how to add that functionality, you will also know the appropriate forum for the question, and yes, it can be done very easily.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.