• April 26, 2024, 02:58:17 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: What it the BEST way to rip DVDs for optimal playback on the DSM 520?  (Read 4134 times)

tccbs

• Level 1 Member

Ok, here goes. Does anyone know the best/correct way to rip a DVD so that it can be played on the 520? I am currently using DVDClonerV, using the movie only option which links all the VOBs into one, and removing all of the audio except the AC3/2ch audio. Had to do that after the movie would switch between languages and director commentary. But, I sometimes still get subtitles and no audio in certain places. I don't care much about music, which is the only thing the 520 does without any issues. I had bought it for my DVD collection to be available in one place, and that seems to be the biggest problem to date. Any help? Using DVDClonerV, TVersity, HP Pavillion with attached external hard drive, wireless N to DLink gigabit router, hardwired LAN to the 520. Also, have AUTO GK available, but don't really want to use 14 programs to get a DVD ripped and played. I'll just put it back in the player if that is the case. Thanks.

mikehd

Not sure what optimal playback means for you, but so far the easiest way I've found is to just rip the movie to one big VOB file. I don't watch the extras, nor do I care about alternate languages or subtitles, so I use DVD Shrink to extract just the movie itself, along with the best surround track available on that disk.

If you're looking for a way to have full DVD menus with all the features, then that will likely be a different media player.

simoncutting

• Level 1 Member
Re: What it the BEST way to rip DVDs for optimal playback on the DSM 520?
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2008, 11:58:20 AM »

I've seen more questions about how to rip DVDs successfully (successfully being defined as not a skinny letterbox picture, sound in-sync with picture and DSM520 will play it) than any others.  After trying all sorts of combinations I've settled on DVDShrink to pull out the main title and AutoGK (with aspect ratio overridden to 4x3) to create the AVI with AC3 6ch sound.  I've found this to consistently reliable.  AUtoGK let's you batch and is pretty quick compared to some other programs.  I leave a batch cooking overnight and the AVIs are ready in the morning.

buzz

• Level 1 Member
Re: What it the BEST way to rip DVDs for optimal playback on the DSM 520?
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:35:47 AM »

I have found that the 520 is picky about how the avi's are done. After much experimenting I use AnyDVD to rip to hard drive on PC then AutoGK. AutoGK take much longer than most converters but for me it works every time.

Setup:
DNS-321
DSM-520