• March 28, 2024, 02:25:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Why does the file system show as NTFS?  (Read 5759 times)

mike343

• Level 1 Member
Why does the file system show as NTFS?
« on: December 30, 2008, 07:18:40 AM »

I'm running WinXP.  I created a RAID5 array on the 343 and formatted it as EXT3.  I mapped "Volume_1" and created some folders.  I right clicked to look at the properties and it shows the File System as NTFS.

I know that Windows can't read Linux file systems...I'm obviously confused.  ;D 

Would someone please explain this to me?  Thanks.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: Why does the file system show as NTFS?
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2008, 08:58:54 AM »

In a word - SAMBA

The DNS-343 is running a piece of software called SAMBA that exports the native file structure so that it appears to be NTFS, it is not NTFS and does not map flawlessly as you will discover at some point, things like file attributes in NTFS do not always exist in the ext2/3 linux file systems and permissions in ext2/3 do not always exist in NTFS.

RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

mike343

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2008, 12:18:01 PM »

Thanks, fordem.  So, "middleware" huh?   :-\   I've already experienced two unusual "cannot copy file" type errors while copying about 300GB of data (ongoing as we speak) I've had to restart the process from the last file copied.  Hopefully, I don't experience too many weird errors w/this unit.

Well, I'd imagine that the unit, it's customized OS and firmware underwent rigorous testing before going to market.  The DNS-343 received very good reviews in both Pro and User reviews...that and DLink's support is why I went w/it over anything else.

So, it's not really NTFS.  I guess I won't try to muck around w/individual folder permissions and just stick with whatever the DLink management software provides.

Thank you.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2008, 02:59:51 PM »

Whilst you could describe the firmware as customized, it is pretty much your garden variety linux behind the custom front end, and so it does have all the quirks of linux when it comes to cross platform (linux/windows) operation.

If seamless integration into a Windows environment is important you could always get yourself a "powered by Windows Storage Server NAS", but be prepared to pay a hefty price for that Microsoft license.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

mig

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2008, 09:53:11 PM »

LaCie makes a NTFS native (WindowXP embeded) NAS [2 TB ~$750 USB] http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11202

HP MediaSmart Server EX470 is another NTFS native (Windows Home Server) NAS [w/1 500GB drive for ~$500 USD] http://www.shopping.hp.com/product/desktop/desktop_hp/storage/4/accessories/GG795AA%2523ABA

Perhaps one of these NAS units would better suit your NTFS requirement.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:59:52 PM by mig »

mike343

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2008, 01:58:35 AM »

Thanks for the other NAS suggestions, mig.  The 343 is brand-new to me so I'll stick with it for a little while and see how it works out.

Fordem:  Thanks for the further detailed explanations. :)