• April 22, 2024, 11:45:40 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: DNS-343 - What HDDs Are You Using?  (Read 4336 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
DNS-343 - What HDDs Are You Using?
« on: November 15, 2011, 03:09:10 PM »

With the release of many new HDDs (and the discontinuation of many of the HDDs on the legacy compatibility list), I'm putting together a list of HDDs the member community is using in their DNS-343s.

Please post:

• HDD Make, Model, and Capacity
  • Configuration (Standard Volume, RAID 0, RAID 1, RAID 5, JBOD)
  • Length of time using the HDD
  • Experience (e.g. issues encountered)

Thanks for your support!  :)
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

afilep

Re: DNS-343 - What HDDs Are You Using?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 07:57:07 PM »

4 X Western Digital Caviar Green WD10EACS-00D6B1 1TB
RAID 5 configuration
In use for about 2 years, no problems encountered.

blairblends

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 12:41:58 AM »

4 x Seagate ST31000528AS (1 TB) hard drives.

They're in RAID-5, been in use since November 2009.

I've been very happy with the read speed (often 40-50 MB/s).  The write speeds are acceptable (about 10-12 MB/s).  For my purposes (backup, and some music serving for my sitting-around-the-house mode), it's great.

I bought two from one location, and two from another (when they were on sale).

I'm neurotic about trying to space out my hard drive purchases just to help from ever being bit by a bad batch or something.  I know, OCD.  :)

I've had no issues until recently with the 1.04 firmware.  It appears to just be bugs with the firmware itself, and nothing that affects the unit or the data.  I know a lot of people have had some "middle of the road" and bad experience with the DNS-343, but I have to say...mine has been really quite great.  (With the understanding, of course, that I probably don't demand as much from my unit as others might.)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:13:05 AM »

I bought two from one location, and two from another (when they were on sale)

I've had no issues until recently with the 1.04 firmware.  It appears to just be bugs with the firmware itself, and nothing that affects the unit or the data.  I know a lot of people have had some "middle of the road" and bad experience with the DNS-343, but I have to say...mine has been really quite great.  (With the understanding, of course, that I probably don't demand as much from my unit as others might.)

It's good to hear from another long-term user (with four DNS-343s nonetheless) with positive things to say about their experience.  For the price to performance ratio, the DNS-343s perform as advertised, providing secure data storage at a relatively low cost (albeit with middle-of-the-road R/W performance).
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

blairblends

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:48:24 AM »

Agreed, and I usually have a lot of trouble with technology.  The doom and gloom stories I've seen from some angry online reviews simply haven't materialized for me.

I often find that the most outspoken people on either side (good and bad) often don't represent the experience of the majority of people.  For me, it's performed great considering I've moved it cross country once, then moved it three other times, and used it in less than ideal conditions a few times.

All in all, I'd say it's held up remarkably well over time.  The cost of the unit and HDs over two years has been MORE than worth it, even with the minor irritation of the unit locking up once or twice.  Stuff happens!