• June 02, 2024, 06:57:55 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Another Shareport DIR 655 Victim  (Read 18269 times)

tfkrato

• Level 1 Member
Another Shareport DIR 655 Victim
« on: December 26, 2009, 09:40:40 PM »

Running DIR-655 HW A4 and FW 1.32NA, and Shareport 1.1.0 R1.  Having similar problem others have reported - printer gets acquired, no print starts, and then Shareport goes into a loop of trying to acquire the printer. 

I've gotten this working perfectly a few times now with one hardwired Vista PC, and two wireless Win 7 PCs, and an Epson RX500 printer.  Then it will fail after varying periods of time.

Found now I can get it working by changing USB setting in router to WCN, rebooting, changing back to Shareport, and rebooting again.  Works fine until the next failure.  Nexttime I'll try just rebooting the router.

Any other ideas out there on a permanent fix?  May have to return this router and go another direction without a fix soon.

tfkrato

• Level 1 Member
Re: Another Shareport DIR 655 Victim
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:21:21 AM »

As noted above I tried printing again this morning from the Vista and one of the Win 7 PCs and it works flawlessly.  I expect it will begin to fail sometime later in the day.

In the hopes someone is monitoring this forum and passing information onto the D-Link developers, I wanted to pass on another observation.

When this fails I observed the "Enable auto connect" option in the Shareport utility Optional setting became unchecked and the "Auto Printer Connect can be used" lost the green check.  When I checked the "Enable auto connect" and clicked on Connect I got the message about insytalling drivers and the "Cancel" light - the process never completes with Cancel changing to OK like it does when this works.  I had to stop the Shareport untility because clicking Cancel does nothing.

Then, when I did the USB change / reboot sequence in my posting above I go back to the same PC, open the Shareport Utility, look at the Optional setting tab and everything is back to normal with "Enable auto connect" checked and the "Auto Printer Connect can be used" checked green.  Everything works until next failure.

tfkrato

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 11:43:01 AM »

All was working fine again for about a day.  Tried to print and it appeared to work, but as I was going to check the printer I noticed Shareport trying to acquire the printer again.  Found under Shareport Optional setting "Enable auto connect" was still checked, but "Auto Printer can be used" was yellow, not checked green.    Tried to change "Auto Printer can be used" but it failed with usual message about installing drivers.

This time I only rebooted the router.  Went back into Shareport on the same PC and was able to successfully enable "Auto Printer can be used".  Everything is now working fine again from all 3 PCs.

So, at least I can get this working with a simple router reboot but obviously this is not the solution.  Need D-Link to come up with a fix.

tfkrato

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 08:22:12 AM »

When print failed this last time I just cancelled the print job, stopped Shareport Utility to get it to stop trying to reconnect to the printer, rebooted the router, restarted Shareport, then reran the print.  Everything working fine again - until the next failure.

Wish D-Link would at least post a status update and prognosis.

satcomranger

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:59:15 AM »

I am right there with you  ..  when they first came with the latest shareport release I provided feedback on it .. and right now it appears to have just fallen by the wayside.... i for one would like to see a new shareport AND firmware  that honestly works  ..  all the reset ... reloads reflashes  .. reconfig ...etc  ...etc...has helped my shareport OR router work for more than 2 days without bombing out in some way or another ..

Ozzed5

• Level 1 Member
  • Hrrp://ozzed.net
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2010, 01:13:41 PM »

If anyone figures out an answer to this question, please post.

tfkrato

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2010, 06:09:57 PM »

Figured I had nothing to loose so I uninstalled Shareport from my Vista desktop and 2 W7 laptops and replaced it with Silex SX Virtual Link v.3.4.0.  Worked fine for a couple days then had to reboot the router to get it working, just like with Shareport.  So, with Virtual Link I have to reboot the router every 2-3 days and with Shareport I had to reboot after less than a day.

I was hoping SX Virtual Link solved my problem after working for about 3 days initially without a reboot, but then the identical failure occurred.

Wonder if D-Link is even working this issue?  Why the hell does this work perfectly then suddenly fail to work?  It works perfect, then all PCs are put to sleep or turned off, then one PC is brought up and it work perfect again, then turn PC back off, then turn one on the next day and BOOM - same failure and the router must be rebooted - the everything starts working perfectly again after the reboot. 

Does D-Link or anybody have a suggestion?

PeaveyAxe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2010, 07:02:40 PM »

MY GOD, someone must have been able to figure this out by now!!  I too, along with thousands of other people, have been suffering with this problem. D-LINK, where the hell are you??  You haven't released a new version of firmware or shareport for over 6 months (betas don't count).  Hurry up and fix this mess.

#John

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 02:40:50 AM »

Sigh. I too am a victim. I also tried Silex SX, but with the same results. I've had to resort to plugging my shared resources (printer, backup drive) into one of my computers and just leaving it on all the time.
regards
#John

Tyrone Biggums

• Level 2 Member
  • Don't look no further! Ya Found em!
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 04:07:34 PM »

From My experience I disable the auto-connect for the device because I think it will auto connect regardless. Doesn't make sense but it works.
I smoke rocks!

Sek

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2010, 11:40:14 PM »

heh, I just replied in another thread about this same issue, and I am glad to find that others are having this issue with their 655.  Well, not glad its a problem, just that its not isolated to myself and a few others.

Earlier tonight, I went to the DIR-655 product page, and found that 1.33NA firmware is now released and available.  I just upgraded about an hour ago, and will observe this issue overnight.

Maybe if enough of us get to making noise, D-Link will take a look, because this bug renders the Shareport feature as useless, and its a problem in their firmware for the 655, not the utility or our OS's.

tvorgitch

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 07:06:49 AM »

I'm eager to hear your results, but this doesn't look promising:

Firmware: 1.33NA
Date: 01/28/10

1. Fixed:  Correct HNAP issue.
2. Fixed:  DNS relay issue ( WAN Slowdown )
3. Added:  Advanced DNS descriptions

rick0325

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:31:55 PM »

This worked for me

DIR-655 Router with 1.33NA firmware  SharePort 1.1.0r1 Software

Windows 7 64 bit

Login to your router (type 192.168.0.1 in a web browser)

Go to Setup Tab, click USB Settings in left pane
Make sure USB Type is set to Shareport (if not set it and save)

Go to Advanced Tab, click Advanced Network in left pane
Go to bottom and make sure Enable Multicast Stream is checked (if not check and save)
If you had to change it will ask you to reboot, go ahead and let it reboot

Now in windows, click Start, Control Panel, System Security, Windows Firewall
Click Advanced Settings in Left pane
Click Inbound Rules in left pane
There will be 3 rules you need to change
2 are both called SharePort Utility and the 3rd is SXUPTP
Highlight the inbound rule and click properties
Click the Advanced Tab and make sure both public and private boxes are checked
Hit apply and ok
Do this for all 3 rules listed above

Open the SharePort Utility software
Click on the options button (looks like a wrench)
Click on Search for Device Servers Tab
Check the box by Enable Broadcast Addresses
Type 192.168.0.255 and hit add
Hit apply and OK

That should do it, good luck
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 05:50:44 AM by rick0325 »

PeaveyAxe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2010, 01:16:54 PM »

Where can I download Shareport utility 1.1.0r1?

PeaveyAxe

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2010, 01:22:58 PM »

Never mind, I found out that's the latest one on the main site.
Pages: [1] 2