• April 27, 2024, 11:35:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Static Address Setup  (Read 3714 times)

Glennr

• Level 1 Member
Static Address Setup
« on: September 30, 2010, 10:05:01 AM »

I want to assign a device a static address on the device itself; not a reserved address in the router.  The reason is that the device (vonage) sometimes has a problem with trying to renew its address.  Even though I assign a reserved address in the router, it looks like the device occasionally tries and fails to renew (even though the address is reserved).  I am dealing with the LAN wired ports.  So, I have a couple of questions.
1.  A reserved address in the router should be inside or outside of the DHCP range?
2.  A static address set on the device should be inside or outside of the DHCP range?
3.  Does the DIR-655 have any know issues doing this?

I ask number 3 because I have seen a few blogs where people have said they have had issues setting up static IPs and the answers have always been to set of reserved addresses instead.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
Re: Static Address Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:11:10 AM »

Hi Glennr,

Assign a Static IP Address on the Vonage Router, itself.

Then assign that same Static IP Address on the D-Link DIR-655.

This is done exactly the same way for NAS Storage Units, as well, like the D-Link DNS-323 Storage Unit.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

Glennr

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 09:20:26 AM »

I see no place in my DIR-655 to assign a static IP address.  I only see a place to reserve a DHCP address.  I have seen other routers which allow you to assign a router port to a particular static IP address.  So are you saying that I should reserve the static address assigned in the device so that DHCP does not ever attempt to give that address out?
This is why I asked about what address to use as the static address, inside the DHCP scope or outside of it???

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 09:36:41 AM »

I see no place in my DIR-655 to assign a static IP address.  I only see a place to reserve a DHCP address.  I have seen other routers which allow you to assign a router port to a particular static IP address.  So are you saying that I should reserve the static address assigned in the device so that DHCP does not ever attempt to give that address out?
This is why I asked about what address to use as the static address, inside the DHCP scope or outside of it???

Hi Glennr,

http://192.168.0.1/Basic/Network.shtml

The range to use is from 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199

Inside the DHCP scope.

thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

mpdion

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 09:41:46 AM »

Glennr,

A reserved address is within the DHCP range and shows up in the DHCP Reservations List (Setup/Network Settings). You do not have to 'assign' a static address in the router for your network devices, it just has to be outside the DHCP range. If your DHCP range is set to 192.168.0.100-199 then you can assign any static IP address from 192.168.0.200-255 to your device. I am using a DIR-655, three network devices with static IPs (outside my DHCP range) without any issues.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2010, 10:40:09 AM by mpdion »