• April 27, 2024, 07:21:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Lag Spikes / Delays when playing online  (Read 12229 times)

rcoloma

• Level 2 Member
Lag Spikes / Delays when playing online
« on: September 30, 2010, 03:34:57 PM »

Hi,

Well, im having lag spikes while playing online thats is driving me crazy!! Specially "Heroes of Newerth", the spikes are huge.

It used to happen with 1.33NA and still happening with 1.34 firmware. And its not ISP problem, because ive tested wired connection and works fine.

DIR-655 has a lot of advanced setup and i dont know what to do anymore.

My current config is:

Firmware Version :1.34NA,  2010/04/16
Connection Type :DHCP Client
QoS Engine :Inactive
Cable Status :Connected
Network Status :Established
Advanced DNS :Disabled
DHCP Server :Enabled
Wireless Radio :Enabled
802.11 Mode :Mixed 802.11n and 802.11g
Channel Width :40MHz
Channel :6
Secondary Channel :2
WISH :Inactive
Wi-Fi Protected Setup :Disabled

Please help me...
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 04:34:06 PM by rcoloma »

marmoduke

• Level 3 Member
Re: Lag Spikes / Delays when playing online
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 05:25:01 PM »

I am a poor one to reply as I have never in my life played a computer game.  However, looking at the info you have supplied and knowing some general rules may indeed help you.

Latency can have many causes.  The ususal suspects are the security encryption complexity, excessive useless traffic on your network, and incorrect settings.  My advice to you, until a gamer helps you more profoundly would be to:

Try other method of encryption if on wireless.

Turn off anything and everything you don't need such as unicasting, multicasting, Upnp, etc.

Turn on QOS since that is designed to help prioritize and eliminate latency.

Change the wireless channel...6 and 11 are usually default channels and are almost always crowded.

Make an application rule according to the help instructions for your particular game.

use AUTO for channel width

Comb through your NIC card driver and settings carefully and adjust them. Unnecessary protocols or protocols bound in poor order...NIC not set to full duplex
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 07:13:15 PM by marmoduke »

rcoloma

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »

Thanks for the tip, but i think QoS would make a difference only in a saturated connection, wich is not the case...

What about ALG and NAT firewall setting?

EDIT:

ive found what the problem was. Im using DWA-140 USB adapter on my desktop , and thats the problem, not the DIR-655.

DIR-655 + Desktop + DWA-140 = lag spikes

DIR-655 + Dell Notebook = perfect connection.

Now i know the problem is the DWA-140, what can i do? Its already running the latest drivers available.

EDIT 2:

Im sorry, but OMFG !!!! The most ubelieveble think just happened. I was trying every kind of driver available for DWA-140 at DLink and Ralink websites. When unistalling Ralink driver, the program asked for a reboot, and for my surprise, when Windows 7 came back the DWA-140 was online and working perfectly. No lag spykes at all, the connection looks like wired.

Ive checked for the driver and its ok. Maybe itīs a Microsoft driver for this kind of adapter, because theres no sign of Ralink and Dlink drivers on my computer.

What the hell just happened? Can someone please try to explain?

Im very pleased now thats working, but how come Dlink and Ralink developers cant make it right?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 05:29:27 AM by rcoloma »

marmoduke

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 06:04:10 AM »

Great news.  I have a DWA-142 that I use sometimes.  I don't use d-link driver for that, I use Marvell driver.  Best if you don't have d-link connection manager even installed on your computer.

Never, never use d-link connection manager.

In general, try not to use USB NIC's at all, unless it is the only game in town.  USB's buss's have a finite speed and if you have a USB Mouse, USB drive, and USB keyboard, there won't be much performance for the NIC.  Also, old PC's with USB 1X ports are only useful in that you can hook up keyboard and mouse to the 1X and add a 2x multiport PCI card for the NIC.  Remember though, if you have a USB drive and your USB NIC on the PCI card, your performance will suffer in proportion to the drive use.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 06:30:40 AM by marmoduke »

rcoloma

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 06:14:04 AM »

i think the issue with Dlink and Ralink drivers is the connection manager.

Dlink doesnt give you option to install just the driver, but Ralink does. Ill try to install just Ralink driver and see what happens.

thecreator

• Level 6 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 09:34:57 AM »

i think the issue with Dlink and Ralink drivers is the connection manager.

Dlink doesnt give you option to install just the driver, but Ralink does. Ill try to install just Ralink driver and see what happens.

Hi rcoloma,

If it is working with Windows 7 installed drivers, why not leave it alone?

To Install the D-link Drivers without the D-Link Connection Utility, just unpack the downloaded drivers. Do not run the Setup Utility.

Go to the Device Manager. Locate the USB Network Adapter. Open up Properties. Click Drivers. Click Update Driver.

Dot, No, not this time. Click Next.
Dot Advanced. Click Next.
Dot Search.
Check Include.
Click Browse and Browse to the location, where you unpacked the drivers at. Pick the correct operating system drivers to click OK.

This simple.
thecreator - Running a Verizon FIOS / Fios-G1100 Router into a D-Link DIR-859 Router Rev. A3, Firmware 1.03 and a D-Link DWA-552 Wireless Network PCI Adapter Card. OP Sys: Win 10 Pro - DNS-323 with Firmware 1.10

rcoloma

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 10:06:35 AM »

Thecreator,

Im not fully satisfied with the connection. I said above that the link was perfect, "like wired connection", but it was a very short moment of happiness :)

I was playing now and the connection got lag spykes again, much shorter and lighter then the others, but still enough to irritate me. I didnt bought DIR-655 and DWA-140 to experience that kind of problem.

Im considering buying a PCI Wifi adapter. Does anybody recommend one?

EDIT:

Could it be some kind of Windows 7 configuration? Ive read something about disabling "computer browser" service at services.msc

Is there something i can try changing at the adapter properties?

EDIT 2:

ill try this:

- disable IP6 support
- disable NDIS filter

If doesnt work, ill go for this:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Troubleshoot-network-connection-problems

it looks like theres a kinda of autotunnig and dataflow control on Windows 7 and Vista

« Last Edit: October 01, 2010, 10:38:59 AM by rcoloma »

marmoduke

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2010, 07:24:13 AM »

Visited a friend the other night who had latency problems on a computer his wife uses for gaming.  I examined the computer and the problem was a somewhat full/fragmented disk.  Apparently some of the more complex games take up a lot of overhead on your local computer, so, you may want to run a "disk cleanup" then a "defragment."

As a routine maintenance, I have always found it to be wise to do this periodicaly:

Scandisk /F or equivilent
Disk Cleanup including deleting obsolete restore points
Defrag

rcoloma

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 06:56:07 AM »

as i suspected, its not DIR-655 problem. Its related to DWA-140 adapter.

Heres a suggested fiz/repair, that turn off SSID scan:

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=11119.0