• March 28, 2024, 05:25:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Need help switching Router to Wireless 615  (Read 2163 times)

immortalmuffinz

• Level 1 Member
Need help switching Router to Wireless 615
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:38:06 AM »

I dont know how long this is going to be, but if it comes out to be a long read im terribly sorry. So first things first. Right now I had a DSL modem running AT&T SBC Yahoo interwebz through a TP-Link router that was 4 ports. One port going to my Laptop, and one going to a desktop in another room. Problem is, before any of this, I had a D-Link Wireless-N 300 router sitting on the shelf this whole time. Now idk if it ever came with a CD, i cant find any installation booklets, boxes...only the router. Im afraid that if I disconnect the modem from the TP-Link router, and disconnect all the ports and transfer them to the D-link the computers wont recognize them. Also scared that if I see that happening and then try going back to the TP-Link, the connection is not recieved/recognized by any of the computers. Thats the jist of it. Now in my A+ class we skimmed over networking so bear with my knowledge on this. How can I hook up the Wireless router? The wireless router is a D-Link Model: DIR-615. The TP-Link is model: TL-R402M. I have a custom built Desktop and a Asus g53-jx Laptop if that matters.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: Need help switching Router to Wireless 615
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 12:08:23 PM »

What HW version is your router?
What FW version is currently loaded?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.

Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual?
Turn off QoS options.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA2. Auto TPIK and AES.
What wireless devices do you have connected?
Any cordless house phones?
Any other WiFi routers in the area?

Turn off all anti virus and firewall programs on PC while testing.
Turn off all devices accept for one wired PC while testing.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.