• April 18, 2024, 04:52:16 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Totally Lost  (Read 4554 times)

shadowjetjockey

Totally Lost
« on: January 29, 2008, 07:24:47 PM »

I just bought a DIR625 router (Version C) and DWA130 network adapter to install a wireless network at home. I'm using WinXP on my router and WinXP Professional on the other computer that I am trying to connect to the network. The router is working fine, I have "tone", and access to the Internet. I have tried everything these last two days to get the two machines to talk to each other. They are sitting right next to each other so that I can easily configure one to match up with the other.  Signal strength is excellent, I've tried using both the WEP and WPA encryption modes, entered keys that were generated for me to use, and at this point am getting ready to give up on the whole thing. I need someone to lead me through some basic steps so that I can get connectivity. If anyone can offer me some advice here, I'd be really grateful.

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Totally Lost
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2008, 10:19:39 AM »

If they are both online the easy method would be to from each computer do the following:

Start
Run
cmd
ipconfig (write down the IP address and make sure they both have the same subnet mask and gateway)

then from each computer and type \\[IP address of the other machine] and tell us if this works.
non progredi est regredi

shadowjetjockey

Re: Totally Lost
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2008, 07:09:02 PM »

How do I do that?

In another thread ("remote connect to another computer"), someone wrote:

"Make sure the Server machine has a static IP in the same range as the client machine, make sure you get ping working between those IP address. After getting ping to work verify that the service is running on the server."

How do I change the static IP on the client machine as it is different from the server IP?  Wouldn't it make more sense for the client machine to have an IP address in the same range as the server IP? Kinda like the tail wagging the dog....