• April 23, 2024, 05:32:15 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure. (Error Code:107)  (Read 13049 times)

phguk

• Level 1 Member
Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure. (Error Code:107)
« on: August 29, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »

I'm running FW 1.08.

Intending to move from a RAID-1 configuration to two independent disks, I removed one of the pair and rebooted. While originally the device was running in RAID-1 degraded mode (which made sense) after a hard reset and firmware refresh, it now prompts me after logging on, to format the disk - but that fails (with message as above). The disks [Samsung 1TB] have no errors.

Now I'm wholly regretting starting on this course of action.

Any help appreciated.  Thanks Paul

phguk

• Level 1 Member
Re: Hard Drive(s) Formatting Failure. (Error Code:107)
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2010, 05:27:02 PM »

Poor form to reply so soon to my original post but I since swapped the disk from the right (as you look at the unit) bay to the left bay. The DNS still thinks it's running in RAID-1 degraded mode.
I don't need the data on the disk - thankfully I've copied it off from the remaining pair.
So my questions are:

1. How to persuade the DNS to forget about RAID-1 ?
2. How to reformat for standard/independent mode use ?

Thanks Paul

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2010, 05:36:50 PM »

Take the drives out of the DNS-323 and use the Disk Manufacturer's diagnostic to format them.  They'll appear to be fresh disks and the DNS-323 will format them to any specification you desire.

You may be able to simply connect them to a Windows machine and remove the partitions with Disk Manager, haven't actually tried that, but I think it would work and be quicker.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

phguk

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2010, 06:08:35 PM »

Thanks for the speedy response. Would you mind clarifying a couple of items ?

1. What is causing this problem ? Is the DNS format code complaining because there are pre-existing partitions on the disk ?

2. When you say use the manufacturers' diagnostic - are you referring to a low-level format or simply overwriting the previous DNS-created partitions ? If it's the latter then presumably a small FAT/NTFS partition is sufficient ?

2.1 Having deleted the original partitions (and have created a small FAT partition), I'm now seeing an error code 114 from the DNS during format - any ideas ?

3. Assuming this works (for the first disk) . Can I then simply insert the second half of the original RAID-1 pair into the other bay and access my data ? I would much prefer not to have to format it also [because I've got data on it which is backed up but on another system].

Thanks again, Paul

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2010, 05:18:18 AM »

Do NOT create a new partition, you want the disk to have NOTHING on it.  I was actually referring to the disk manufacturer LLF, it also assigns any pending spare sectors and does a complete surface check.

If you try with just removing the partitions, do that, but do not create a new partition, that's what is causing your problem.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.

grixx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 03:09:56 PM »

Paul, I guess you are running funplug, do you?
I had exactly the same issue. After disabling funplug and a reboot of the DNS-323 I was able to reformat without any problems.

Cheers, grixx

derek_c_lee

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »

I had the same error and followed the advice to disable fun_plug.
That worked. Thanks!

uraniborg

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2013, 01:57:20 PM »

Ditto, I was getting the error code 107 when trying to rebuild my RAID 1 array with WD 500GB Caviar SE16 drives.  Progress failed at 1% reformat.  I used SSH (which I previously setup when installing Fonz fun_plug) and renamed the file "fun_plug" to "fun_plug_OFF" and rebooted the NAS.  Now the reformat is working...

I still have no idea WHY my drive failed in the frist place.  It reported the RAID 1 array was degraded but both HDD lights were blue (but one would not blink indicating no disk activity).  I took them out and tested and they both passed SMART and short drive self diagnostic and a bad sector scan with no errors at all...