• March 28, 2024, 02:57:41 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DIR-855 Discontinued? - YES  (Read 23279 times)

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
DIR-855 Discontinued? - YES
« on: August 26, 2008, 01:59:44 PM »

I know of three major distributors that have received them over the last week.

I just went on a hunt to find if ANY sites had this router available for purchase.  I found none.  And then I found a site which stated:

Quote from: mwave.com
NO STOCK - Estimate arrival on 12/8/2008

This gives me very little hope that this is still a viable product.  But the more concerning find was this:

Quote from: CDW
This product has been discontinued
as of Tuesday, July 29, 2008.

Is this true??  Are there issues which has caused the product to be discontinued??  :'(

What are we not being told?  Of course, since we haven't been told, I don't presume that I'll really find out here....but I'm hoping.

If this isn't true then why aren't these making it to major retailers?  Something just seems very odd with this "relaunch".  ???
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 11:37:09 AM by FurryNutz »

aleicgrant

Re: DIR-855 Discontinued?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 03:32:54 PM »

hey my friend, your said exactly whats been on my mind since January.....

aleicgrant

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:35:40 PM »

and I notice just about every other product has beta drivers which means they are pressing to improve the product.

Yet the MOST EXPENSIVE Platinum products have none of that.

I for one not happy after spending several hundred dollars (2 DAP-1555, 1 DAP-1522 and the 855) and this is the treatment we get.

Not fair.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 08:27:59 AM »

There is new beta code for the 855 and I'll make it available when it's ready.
As for the turn around, there was issues with the orignal unit, we've sorted those out and the a2 versions are going to distibution.

SANhacker

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 12:17:56 PM »

Buy.com had the A2 versions in stock last week.
At least that is when I received mine.
That doesn't sound "discontinued" to me.   :D

skypx

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 03:24:17 PM »

There is new beta code for the 855 and I'll make it available when it's ready.

Thanks.... waiting patiently.....  ;D

DVDKingdom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:25:42 PM »

Buy.com had the A2 versions in stock last week.
At least that is when I received mine.
That doesn't sound "discontinued" to me.   :D
One possible reason someone would say the router was discontinuued.
The DIR-855 is not available for purchase through DLink.com online store.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 08:27:34 PM by DVDKingdom »

azz710

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 06:16:36 AM »

Folks,

I've been waiting for a DIR-855 for months, just as most of the rest of you have been.  Finally, I managed to pry a new A2 model out of Sparco and, aside from the fact that my laptop doesn't deal with its 5GHz signal well (and this was expected as it's an old IBM T-41 Centrino with an internal antenna optimized for only 2.4GHz and I'll be buying a D-Link PCMCIA N adapter soon), all is well.  This is a product that lives up to my high expectations so far.  I've purchased many, many D-Link products for myself, friends and family since I bought my first DI-704 four-port router back in 1999 and I've always been happy, this in distinct contrast to my experiences with Netgear (makers of the most foul Pre-N router ever "designed"), LinkSys (with its idiotic lack of DHCP server supplied address persistence), Belkin and Buffalo, all of which appear to spend more time marketing than designing.

And, over the years, D-Link customer service has been excellent, until now.

D-Link no longer answers my e-mail.  And since I've tried all of my many e-mail addresses (a couple of main ones and Yahoo!, Hotmail, Gmail, etc.), I can only assume that D-Link has been ignoring most if not all of its customer service requests coming in via e-mail.

When that failed, I started phoning.  On other forums (this is the first time I've tried this one since discovering it this morning), there were raging arguments this Spring regarding the availability of the DIR-855.  When CDW officially dismissed it as a discontinued product, the arguments regarding the viability of this product started.  Someone claimed that he had absolute proof that the DIR-855 was discontinued as he'd called D-Link in April and that was what he was told.  So, I called D-Link Customer Service and was treated to a shocking lack of competence.

First, I was told that the DIR-855 never existed.  Then, when I pointed out that it was still listed on the D-Link site, the guy changed his tune and said simply that he'd never heard of it.  I asked him to check and, after about five minutes on hold, he returned to tell me that, indeed, it was officially discontinued.  I called back repeatedly over the next few weeks and was always given a different story, including a fantasy concocted by one D-Link mischief-making representative who told me (whilst refusing to divulge his name; perhaps he was the janitor or something) that millions of A2s had been shipped and that the lack of availability of the DIR-855 is a distributors' conspiracy.

D-Link Customer Service is still being singularly unresponsive and is clearly in a state of extreme disarray.

D-Link should learn that the fact that it produces the very best home networking products on the market, and some of the best commercial networking products as well, is not enough.  D-Link must also respond to requests for information and help.  This is an absolute requirement that, if ignored, as D-Link has been ignoring it for at least a year or two, will certainly lead to D-Link's ultimate downfall.

Jeff Broido

Cranium

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 06:30:42 AM »

D-Link should learn that the fact that it produces the very best home networking products on the market, and some of the best commercial networking products as well, is not enough.  D-Link must also respond to requests for information and help.  This is an absolute requirement that, if ignored, as D-Link has been ignoring it for at least a year or two, will certainly lead to D-Link's ultimate downfall.

Agreed!

marciorr

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 06:56:21 AM »

I also sent several emails to DLink regarding problems with my 855 and they didīt respond. I never had this kind of treatment from DLink. Looks like they are ignoring the 855 users.

azz710

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 07:42:40 AM »

Flash!  I just received a note from thenerds.com to the effect that they have just received two (2) of them.  These must be made by hand on Midway Island by retired Swiss watchmakers or something.

FromAtoN

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2008, 08:46:08 AM »

You're only going to find the DWA-652 for cardbus and it only does 2.4GHz.  I truly believe they will never make another cardbus adapter.  I had to settle for a DWA-160 rev B which has disconnect issues with the DGL-4500.  I used to have a rev A but returned it for a rev B.

rlcronin

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »

See http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=681 for info about the new DIR-825, a cheaper version of the 855 with no OLED display, but otherwise very similar. Could this be the replacement?

thetoad30

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2008, 09:45:56 AM »

Why, oh why, are people moving BACK to two antennas???

The whole point of N was to have multiple signals. Three antennas with three transmit/receive antennas ensures throughput.

Two antennas... well I'd think they'd just cause more of an issue... am I wrong? If so, please let me know because I don't like not being informed. Thanks!

rlcronin

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2008, 10:12:08 AM »

See the article at http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/30568/100/ for a brief overview of the 825. I mis-remembered about the antennas. It does indeed only have two (although there are three antenna connectors internally, only two are cabled out).

Bob
« Last Edit: September 06, 2008, 10:27:02 AM by rlcronin »
Pages: [1] 2