• April 24, 2024, 11:51:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: USB NAS on DIR-655  (Read 7925 times)

edjm

USB NAS on DIR-655
« on: August 13, 2007, 03:12:53 PM »

Is there any word on whether D-Link will be enable the USB for NAS? (Like the newer Apple Airports support Airport Disks.) I would love to see this.

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
Re: USB NAS on DIR-655
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 04:26:53 PM »

I doubt they would do that.  although it the dir-655's hardware could totally handle the workload
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 09:42:25 AM »

It may be added to later models based on the DIR-655. However, at this point it is purely speculation.

GJones

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 08:59:37 PM »

ok, what is that USB port for? I can't get it to do a thing.

GJones

edjm

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2007, 05:53:18 AM »

ok, what is that USB port for? I can't get it to do a thing.

Apparently, the only thing D-Link currently allows you to use it for is to copy some wireless settings from Windows XP. It uses a Microsoft format called WCN (Windows Connect Now). Useless IMO.

As D-Link is still promoting the DIR-655, I am hopeful they will enable the USB port to be useful via firmware updates.

ottawadave

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2007, 09:03:29 AM »

If D-Link had plans to eventually add NAS functionality into the firmware, they probably would not post plans in the forum.

However, if one were to vote on having such a capabilty, I would like to see it, along with rsync support. 

I noticed the USB connector and bought the router thinking that I'd be able to hook up a HD, but alas, it's not possible.

Rory1

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 09:33:52 AM »

Same,

I'd love to be able to use the port for something that would actually be useful.
I love my unit. Cept the feeling of when I look at the USB port and wonder WHYYYYY....

• Codex Borgia
  • Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2007, 09:57:01 AM »

If we are wishing about the USB port. I would like to connect my Sprint EVDO Phone to the USB to get WAN access, like a DIR-450.
The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either.

<script src="http://serverfault.com/users/flair/25583.js?theme=clean" type="text/javascript"></script>