The Graveyard - Products No Longer Supported > DIR-885L

DIR-885L Phoning Home

<< < (2/6) > >>

LarryNOTtheCableGuy:
> Not too sure about the google requests unless you have an android device or any google home/assistant products.

There is one android phone in the house, and it's pretty chatty all on its own. Regardless, from my perspective that doesn't explain why the router needs to query  google.com when you access it's web interface.

Larry ....

GreenBay42:
Well again the pi hole is on the LAN side of the router so it is not reporting outgoing traffic from the router to the Internet. The requests have to be from a device on the LAN and/or from the Internet to a device on the LAN. The router still inspects incoming traffic and then will send it to the pi hole. Does the pi hole report if it is incoming vs outgoing?

Netrunner4Pizza:
Maybe help shed light on this as i also run a PiHole, my topography is this:

Modem > DMZ > Dlink Router > everything else

Router pulls IP and Subnet via DHCP from Modem
Router points to PiHole for DNS
DNS is set to Cloudflare and DNS.WATCH
Router only has DHCP running for half of my subnet with itself as the DNS server.

Everything on my network runs though my PiHole and I've never seen a single call home from dlink since i started this up last year. Im on 1.20, Thu 28 Sep 2017 Firmware about to update to 1.21B03 I also have SecurityOnion on a passthrough on my modem & router (use my modem as a security layer for guests) decrypting and sniffing/logging all traffic. I am 100% confident the router is not calling home.

edit: clarification of SecOnion

FurryNutz:
Link>Welcome!

* What region are you located?
* What ISP Modem Mfr. and model # do you have?

--- Quote from: Netrunner4Pizza on October 27, 2018, 09:20:28 AM ---Maybe help shed light on this as i also run a PiHole, my topography is this:

Modem > DMZ > Dlink Router > everything else

Router pulls IP and Subnet via DHCP from Modem
Router points to PiHole for DNS
DNS is set to Cloudflare and DNS.WATCH
Router only has DHCP running for half of my subnet with itself as the DNS server.

Everything on my network runs though my PiHole and I've never seen a single call home from dlink since i started this up last year. Im on 1.20, Thu 28 Sep 2017 Firmware about to update to 1.21B03 I also have SecurityOnion on a passthrough on my modem & router (use my modem as a security layer for guests) decrypting and sniffing/logging all traffic. I am 100% confident the router is not calling home.

edit: clarification of SecOnion

--- End quote ---

LarryNOTtheCableGuy:
> Well again the pi hole is on the LAN side of the router so it is not reporting outgoing traffic from the router to the Internet.

You're absolutely correct. And I'm the first to admit I have no idea about what's happening on the outgoing side of the router; thus my original comment regarding the installation of a packet sniffer between the modem and router (which I hope to get to in the fullness of time). I will also admit that I may have been somewhat "over-dramatic" with some of my wording.  ::)

> Does the pi hole report if it is incoming vs outgoing?

The Pi Hole is a forwarding DNS server, which simply intercepts all DNS lookup requests from devices on my network (including the router), and "blocks" any associated with ad servers, malware sites, etc. The remaining requests are passed through to my ISP's DNS servers. So all I'm seeing are DNS lookup requests; nothing else. And to the best of my knowledge, it's telling me that the router is requesting DNS lookups for the listed domains. But I have no idea what the router is doing after that.

I'm certainly not a networking expert, and have never done this for a living. Although I've been at it for about 15 years; everything I know about networking is self taught. I probably know just enough to be very dangerous.  :D

Larry ....

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version