• March 28, 2024, 06:59:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19

Author Topic: DCS-942L - Firmware Wishlist  (Read 517144 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
DCS-942L - Firmware Wishlist
« on: October 28, 2011, 04:09:54 AM »

Please post the features and bugs you would like to see corrected in the next DCS-942L firmware update.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2012, 09:20:59 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-942 - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2011, 04:11:21 AM »

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue. Items fixed in the latest firmware update are striked out.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-942L Wishlist

• TBD

Wishlist Items Addressed by D-Link (Thank You!)

• TBD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:24:29 AM by JavaLawyer »

DAMNYANKEE

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 11:00:48 AM »

First, from the perspective of the camera itself:

1. The zoom preset on all your cameras appears to be upper left extreme. That needs to be changed to a out-of-box default of "dead center."

2. The ability to control all lights at the camera. In other words, the camera should be able to be set to "all indicator lights off" this would allow for the camera to be placed in such a way as NOT to reveal its absolute location. For anyone that thinks that putting the light on the back is the answer, its not. Covering it is not either.   Red light indicator for night illumination. Do I understand that this camera does not actually use infra-red? If it does, no more red light indicators please, IR can be undetectable.

4. A clip molded on the base of the unit, allowing the wire to be captured and thereby taking the torque/stress off the wire and the all too loose head lock-up.

5. The plastic arm coming out from the camera (the white one with the "ball" at the end" cannot be shipped as is. It must be somehow made fast, right now its threads can easy back out with a 5 degree rotation....and does.

6. All sorts of clinking and sound static. Either correct the hardware microphone selection, rewrite the sensitivity buffers, or DEFAULT to viewing within a. SmartPhone b. MYDLINK and c> M-DVIEWCAN as OFF.
I have heard the 942 feedback loop within 5 seconds of startup. This problem is well documented on-line and a true "purchase killer" for many.

7. The ability to "stack" cameras in a permanent order, as we would wish. In other words...a) SmartPhone b)MYDLINK, when we start up the app have the phones list stack in OUR preferred order top to bottom.

8. MYDLINK . Here I would like the ability to not only setup a guest list, but assign individual cameras to be viewed by that guest list. In other words, I want access granted BY CAMERA to the guest list. Some cameras should be able to be denied.

9. Motion detector setup, honestly, I have yet to find it. One clearly does not stumble across the means to utilize this feature.

10. Smart phone app that allows for "cycling through" all your cameras. THis would instead of return, select, pause, view, return....repeat.

11. Ok, I give up...is there a speaker? Can one not just listen but talk as well? No idea....

12. We need a night vision unit produced with PTL that is for this family of products.

13. We need an exterior NV unit produced with PTL that is for this family of products.

14. Alarm option. I would like to know if any of my cameras are being accessed by others while I am infront of it. In other words, a hard switch option on the camera that would send a distinctive chirp if requested that would inform me that one of my cameras is active in a room im in.

thanks.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2011, 04:45:21 AM »

Thank you for your thorough input. I've added a subset of your items to the firmware wishlist. Unfortunately, since some of your suggestions are hardware changes, I was unable to add them to the firmware Wishlist.

1. The zoom preset on all your cameras appears to be upper left extreme. That needs to be changed to a out-of-box default of "dead center."

Added.

2. The ability to control all lights at the camera. In other words, the camera should be able to be set to "all indicator lights off" this would allow for the camera to be placed in such a way as NOT to reveal its absolute location. For anyone that thinks that putting the light on the back is the answer, its not. Covering it is not either.   Red light indicator for night illumination. Do I understand that this camera does not actually use infra-red? If it does, no more red light indicators please, IR can be undetectable.

Added.

4. A clip molded on the base of the unit, allowing the wire to be captured and thereby taking the torque/stress off the wire and the all too loose head lock-up.

Hardware change.

5. The plastic arm coming out from the camera (the white one with the "ball" at the end" cannot be shipped as is. It must be somehow made fast, right now its threads can easy back out with a 5 degree rotation....and does.

Hardware Change.

6. All sorts of clinking and sound static. Either correct the hardware microphone selection, rewrite the sensitivity buffers, or DEFAULT to viewing within a. SmartPhone b. MYDLINK and c> M-DVIEWCAN as OFF.
I have heard the 942 feedback loop within 5 seconds of startup. This problem is well documented on-line and a true "purchase killer" for many.

Added.

7. The ability to "stack" cameras in a permanent order, as we would wish. In other words...a) SmartPhone b)MYDLINK, when we start up the app have the phones list stack in OUR preferred order top to bottom.

Can you please clarify this firmware wishlist item? I'm not sure what you are referring to.

8. MYDLINK . Here I would like the ability to not only setup a guest list, but assign individual cameras to be viewed by that guest list. In other words, I want access granted BY CAMERA to the guest list. Some cameras should be able to be denied.

This feature is already included on the mydlink Feature Wishlist, here: http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=41091.0

9. Motion detector setup, honestly, I have yet to find it. One clearly does not stumble across the means to utilize this feature.

Motion detection can be configured in the web interface by navigating to SETUP -> Motion Detection.

10. Smart phone app that allows for "cycling through" all your cameras. THis would instead of return, select, pause, view, return....repeat.

I added this feature to the mydlink feature wishlist (which more closely fits this request).

11. Ok, I give up...is there a speaker? Can one not just listen but talk as well? No idea....

Need other users to validate/replicate any issue regarding speaker functionality before I can add this item.

12. We need a night vision unit produced with PTL that is for this family of products.

What is PTL? Please clarify this request.

13. We need an exterior NV unit produced with PTL that is for this family of products.

What is PTL? What is NV? Please clarify this request.

14. Alarm option. I would like to know if any of my cameras are being accessed by others while I am infront of it. In other words, a hard switch option on the camera that would send a distinctive chirp if requested that would inform me that one of my cameras is active in a room im in.

Hardware change.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2011, 04:46:25 AM »

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue. Items fixed in the latest firmware update are striked out.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-942L Wishlist

• General - Ability to disable all LED lights, including the rear of the DCS-942L
  • Audio - Fix intermittant clicking/static
  • Audio - Set default audio to OFF for mydlink, mobile devices, and D-ViewCam
  • Audio - Fix feedback loop during thee first 5 seconds of startup
  • Night Mode - Use IR illuminator that does not emit light in the visible range
  • Zoom - Change default zoom to center of image (rather than upper left corner)

• TBD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:24:18 AM by JavaLawyer »

Tom Peterson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2011, 02:55:06 PM »

Three items:

1 - The ability to turn off just the IR ilumination but still keep the automatic color mode/bw mode.
Why needed : I'm using the camera behind glass and I use a separate small iluminator ($5 on ebay) to avoid reflection back on the camera. I taped the 4 leds for now but would be better I can just turn them off.

2-  The ability to send the 6 snapshots in one email. Just like 932L
Why needed : it declutters the inbox and makes it much easier to go thru emails. That is my favorite feature with 932L

3 - The test button for email and FTP. Just like 932L
Why needed : that is invaluable to set it up. I actually used another 932L to test those settings then copy/past them them 942L.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2011, 05:31:32 AM »

Three items:

1 - The ability to turn off just the IR ilumination but still keep the automatic color mode/bw mode.
Why needed : I'm using the camera behind glass and I use a separate small iluminator ($5 on ebay) to avoid reflection back on the camera. I taped the 4 leds for now but would be better I can just turn them off.

2-  The ability to send the 6 snapshots in one email. Just like 932L
Why needed : it declutters the inbox and makes it much easier to go thru emails. That is my favorite feature with 932L

3 - The test button for email and FTP. Just like 932L
Why needed : that is invaluable to set it up. I actually used another 932L to test those settings then copy/past them them 942L.

Your three items are added. Thanks!

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2011, 05:31:52 AM »

DNS-942L Wishlist

• General - Ability to disable all LED lights, including the rear of the DCS-942L
  • Audio - Fix intermittent clicking/static
  • Email Notification - Ability to send 6 snapshots in one email (similar to the DCS-932L)
  • Email Notification - Add an email test button (similar to the DCS-932L)
  • FTP - Add an FTP test button (similar to the DCS-932L)
  • Night Mode - Ability to disable IR Illuminator while the camers is in Night Mode (i.e. to enable application of a third party IR Illuminator)

• TBD
« Last Edit: November 10, 2011, 06:24:07 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2011, 06:23:54 AM »

DCS-942L Wishlist

• Email Notification - Ability to send 6 snapshots in one email (similar to the DCS-932L)
  • FTP - Add an FTP test button (similar to the DCS-932L)
  • Night Mode - Ability to disable IR Illuminator while the camers is in Night Mode (i.e. to enable application of a third party IR Illuminator)
  • Security - Ability to disable broadcasting of video/audio feed (i.e. to prevent potential hijacking of feed)
  • Security - Support for secure broadcasting of video/audio feed (SSL, HTTPS)

• TBD

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 09:59:20 AM »

DCS-942L Wishlist

• FTP - Add an FTP test button (similar to the DCS-932L)[/color]
  • Night Mode - Ability to adjust the light level required to trigger the transition between Day and Night Modes
  • Night Mode - Ability to disable IR Illuminator while the camera is in Night Mode (i.e. to enable application of a third party IR Illuminator)
  • Security - Ability to disable broadcasting of video/audio feed (i.e. to prevent potential hijacking of feed)

• TBD
« Last Edit: November 12, 2011, 10:04:37 AM by JavaLawyer »

boybill29

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2011, 11:42:58 AM »

I believe that #10 in DAMNYANKEEs list

can be accomplished with tinyCam Monitor FREE. I use this with my Android phone and my DCS-942L. Video is ok, no audio. I don't know the audio URL, or if there's another issue. The app has a setting for camera sequencing, although I can't try it since I don't have multiple cameras.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2011, 11:53:48 AM »

I believe that #10 in DAMNYANKEEs list

can be accomplished with tinyCam Monitor FREE. I use this with my Android phone and my DCS-942L. Video is ok, no audio. I don't know the audio URL, or if there's another issue. The app has a setting for camera sequencing, although I can't try it since I don't have multiple cameras.

There are several desktop apps that have that functionality as well. I didn't include that request in the firmware wishlist since it's client based (e.g. mydlink or a third-party monitor app).

boybill29

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2011, 12:54:08 PM »

I have updated to firmware 1.01. Here are some things I noticed.

FIXED: General - Ability to disable all LED lights, including the rear of the DCS-942L. This is in maintenance, device setting (very bottom) Now the only time the light comes on is when plugging in. It stays on for a couple of seconds then no lights anymore. Power/Link, Flicker, Off are options.

FIXED: Zoom - Change default zoom to center of image (rather than upper left corner). Now the 2x and 4x zoom focus on whatever was in the center of the view previously at 1x.

FIXED?: Email Notification - Ability to send 6 snapshots in one email (similar to the DCS-932L). The choice is there to send 6 snapshots, although it doesn't specify whether they are in one email or 6. I tried it, got 1 pic per email, 6 emails in 6 seconds, and 30 seconds between email bursts. My last camera sent 6 in one zipped file.

Probably a hardware issue: Night Mode - Use IR illuminator that does not emit light in the visible range. This may require a more expensive parts. Not visible IR LEDs can be used but they could need a better receiver circuit for them to be powerful enough.

I would like to see the record time settings have more range. This includes recording video for longer than 10 seconds max and not having to wait 30 seconds between snapshot bursts. I can do this with 3rd party software but it seems like it could be done in the firmware.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2011, 01:25:50 PM »

I have updated to firmware 1.01. Here are some things I noticed.

FIXED: General - Ability to disable all LED lights, including the rear of the DCS-942L. This is in maintenance, device setting (very bottom) Now the only time the light comes on is when plugging in. It stays on for a couple of seconds then no lights anymore. Power/Link, Flicker, Off are options.

FIXED: Zoom - Change default zoom to center of image (rather than upper left corner). Now the 2x and 4x zoom focus on whatever was in the center of the view previously at 1x.

FIXED?: Email Notification - Ability to send 6 snapshots in one email (similar to the DCS-932L). The choice is there to send 6 snapshots, although it doesn't specify whether they are in one email or 6. I tried it, got 1 pic per email, 6 emails in 6 seconds, and 30 seconds between email bursts. My last camera sent 6 in one zipped file.

Thanks. . . I'll update the wishlist accordingly.

Probably a hardware issue: Night Mode - Use IR illuminator that does not emit light in the visible range. This may require a more expensive parts. Not visible IR LEDs can be used but they could need a better receiver circuit for them to be powerful enough.

My bad. . . shouldn't have been on the list to start with.

I would like to see the record time settings have more range. This includes recording video for longer than 10 seconds max and not having to wait 30 seconds between snapshot bursts. I can do this with 3rd party software but it seems like it could be done in the firmware.

Will add this to the list as well.

Thanks for your input!  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2011, 01:33:07 PM »

DCS-942L Wishlist

• FTP - Add an FTP test button (similar to the DCS-932L)[/color]
  • Night Mode - Ability to adjust the light level required to trigger the transition between Day and Night Modes
  • Night Mode - Ability to disable IR Illuminator while the camera is in Night Mode (i.e. to enable application of a third party IR Illuminator)
  • Recording Video - Increased range for record time settings (i.e. recording video longer than the current 10 second maximum and eliminating the need to wait 30 seconds between snapshot bursts)

• General - Ability to disable all LED lights, including the rear of the DCS-942L [FIXED!]
  • Zoom - Change default zoom to center of image (rather than upper left corner) [FIXED!]
  • Email Notification - Ability to send 6 snapshots in one email (similar to the DCS-932L) [FIXED!]
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19