• April 18, 2024, 07:03:55 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: wireless connection starts & stops  (Read 2643 times)

jeff109

• Level 1 Member
wireless connection starts & stops
« on: December 04, 2011, 08:46:08 AM »

I'm using a dlink network adapter(6 months old) on my pc, have always gotten an excellent signal. Main pc in house is hooked up to dir-615 router & works fine. I had some bsod's recently & decided to reformat xp. Loaded the driver for the adapter, got an excellent signal, but couldn't access the net. The signal shows 4 green bars for about 20 seconds, then all white bars for a few seconds, then back to green. It keeps dropping the signal over & over. The network card shows its working properly. I did an ipconfig, and it says "media state disconnected" & shows no addresses. If the dlink adapter is faultly then i'm assuming it wouldn't work in the first place. I'm thinking its some setting not right in the pc. The reformat went fine, loaded all the drivers in the right order. I only have IE for a browser which i need to access the net with to load firefox & all other programs plus service pack 3 & other xp updates back on with. When i loaded the driver for the dlink adapter, i used a different workgroup/name than the network name originally used to set up the dlink router if that means anything. I can't figure it out. I've read about resetting the winsock which i'm going to try, but i would think that wouldn't be it since i just reformatted the pc. Any help MUCH appreciated.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:51:29 AM by jeff109 »

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
Re: wireless connection starts & stops
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2011, 12:27:15 PM »

What Hardware version is your router?
What Firmware version is currently loaded?

What ISP Service do you have? Cable or DSL?
What ISP Modem do you have? Stand Alone or built in router?
What ISP Modem make and model do you have?
If this modem has a built in router, it's best to bridge the modem. Having 2 routers on the same line can cause connection problems.

Ensure DNS IP addresses are being filled in under Setup/Internet/Manual?
Turn off QoS options.
Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual.
Turn on DNS Relay under Setup/Networking.
Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices on the router.
Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP.

What wireless modes are you using?
Try single mode G or mixed G and N?
What security mode are you using? WEP, WPA or WPA2? Preferred is WPA-Personal. WPA2/Auto TPIK and AES.

Do you get internet connection if you connect up wired to the 615 router as a test?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.