• April 25, 2024, 09:42:26 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Enable Advanced DNS Service  (Read 38053 times)

jason1722x

• Level 3 Member
Enable Advanced DNS Service
« on: May 17, 2009, 05:56:58 PM »

Just noticed something people may shed some light on. When I enable Advanced DNS service in Manual setup it changes the Dynamic IP (DHCP) addresses but are greyed out text,not bold like other settings on the WAN screen.
Now on the Network settings screen in manual setup under Primary WINS IP and Secondary WINS IP the ip has not changed like it has under the STATUS screen and why is it greyed out on the WAN screen?

Dose this affect anything?
« Last Edit: May 17, 2009, 07:36:36 PM by jason1722x »

DustoMan

• Level 1 Member
Re: Enable Advanced DNS Service
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2009, 07:49:34 PM »

Enabling Advanced DNS Service sets you network to run DNS requests through a service called OpenDNS.  Unchecking it will instead use your ISPs DNS servers or you can specify other DNS servers to use.  OpenDNS offers some filtering and reporting features that can be helpful.  Check out www.opendns.com to learn more.

Disable Advanced DNS Service and DNS Relay and Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:03:02 PM by FurryNutz »
Dusto

DIR-655 - 1.31 Firmware
DAP-1555

Msradell

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2009, 09:05:26 PM »

Is it normal for openDNS too slow down your system?  In checking my network speed (router to the Internet) I saw a drop of over 50% when I turned an their servers.  This obviously is totally unacceptable to me or a most everyone else.  If this is normal I don't see how they exist!  Are there any tricks in using this service without losing network speed?

DustoMan

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2009, 08:40:05 PM »

In most cases, no.  Your speed shouldn't be affected.  There are some anomalies that can occur since you are reaching out to a DNS server that might not be local to your area.  (They have six server locations positioned across the country.) I know of some problems with sites like YouTube because of the way that site handles server loads.  In my experience, stick with the "goto" speed testing sites like speedtest.net or your ISP's own speed testing servers. And run multiple tests since it might be a problem with how your packets are getting routed.
Dusto

DIR-655 - 1.31 Firmware
DAP-1555

efishinsea

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 12:45:17 PM »

This might be helpful to someone.

I just installed this router (DIR655) and after the standard setup, everything was working except for local-network machine-name resolution.  I first noticed when my web applications were not able to connect to the database server:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'
[DBNETLIB][ConnectionOpen (Connect()).]Specified SQL server not found.

Pinging a local machine-name would return errors like:

Name resolution for the name [machine-name].hsd1.or.comcast.net timed out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.

So it was obvious the routing was sending my requests *out* to the ISP.

After digging around I found that "Advanced DNS Service" was enabled, (Setup > Internet > Manual Internet Connection Setup > Advanced DNS Service) which I presume was by default since I just set this up.  Disabling "Advanced DNS Service" solved my problem, and I was once again able to connect to local network machines by name using Remote Desktop, and via web applications using SQL Server connection strings that used server names.

I also learned through this process that between my old DLink router and this one, that DLink has changed their customer support to some overseas provider. After 4 separate phone calls, I was unable to get 1 person who could clearly repeat back to me the problem I stated to them, repeatedly. ("I can't connect to another machine on my network, by name")  Each of the heavily-accented people I spoke with seemed ill-equipped to help with anything more complex than "How do I plug this thing into my computer?" sort of questions.  So, good luck if you ever have to call them for help.