• April 26, 2024, 10:34:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Unable to open a management connection to my NAT/PAT wireless access point.  (Read 5254 times)

xx32racer32xx

• Level 1 Member

I have sent a tech support message to D-Link asking about my problem and have not received any kind of response. I have also attempted to contact the tech support hot-line but they seem untrained and inept, because all they can respond with is "I'm afraid I cannot help you with your problem", thank you Debbie for not being able to help and also for being scared to attempt. I guess I should have expected as much from people who are being paid to help people with their problems to be afraid of the fact that they are clueless about the products that their employer makes.

Anyways I guess I would be best off asking you guys if you can point me in the right direction here at least we can all read and write here on the forum.

Here is the third letter I have sent to D-Link about my problem.

I believe that my router has failed on me, or possibly I have some settings turned off, or possibly the software I have is a release candidate version. I have attempted multiple times to get help for my problem through this online support and have received no response. I have also tried getting help over the phone but the lady named Debbie told me she could not help me with the problem with the "Router" (NAT/PAT/Wireless Access Point). When I try to telnet or SSH in order to configure my router the router does not respond. THIS IS UNACCEPTABLE. I cannot have the issue of hoping that the settings that my router has automatically decided upon out of the box are going to keep me secure on the world wide web, there are thieves, criminals, pirates, hackers, and child molesters out there who would not think twice about hurting my children. I want to check my access control lists and ensure that unnecessary protocols which would be security risks are not enabled on my equipment yet I cannot even configure a static IP to a MAC Address. THIS IS LIKE SELLING A MICROWAVE OVEN WITH A WALL PLUG, BUT WITHOUT ANY BUTTONS OR READOUTS. Tell me would you sell someone a microwave oven with no buttons readouts knobs or switches?
I am attempting to open the telnet or SSH connection to my router to configure my router but apparently my router is broken (or my head is and im just doing it wrong)
 I would be content with a mere show run to be able to see what in the world my router is doing, even if I cannot ever change the settings on my broken router. It does however seem to route just fine, I just do not have a clue what its doing what security issues i need to account for in my firewall/operating system configuration nor am I able to do any simple basic things that all routers should allow me to do like Static IP addressing bound by MAC Addr and setting up port access control lists.

Thanks a bunch guys and,
    Save me Obi Wan Kenobi you are my only hope.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member

You don't telnet into this router. Just open your Web Browser and you configure it through there.

If everything is still at defaults, type 192.168.0.1 into the address bar to get to the configuration page.  The default logon is admin with no password.

xx32racer32xx

• Level 1 Member

wheres the console hiding in all theses gobbledygook tabs and sub tabs and menus? I want to do a show run to see my configuration so i can save it in handy notepad for reference. is it in advanced or tools or network configuration or somewhere else?

xx32racer32xx

• Level 1 Member

it shouldn't take me 30 minutes to find the page for the console in this website on my router. why do I even need a website for my router... it should be routing packets not blogging, tabbed browsing and arranging my commands in a aesthetically pleasing yet entirely impossible to navigate maze with secret passages in the form of

• main top tabs
    • sub tabs located on the left and
      • occasionally gray box links to other hidden places
        • i wonder if what im looking for is in this grey box? NO IVE BEEN ATTACKED WITH WIZARDRY AGAIN
          • mabye i should go back and make sure it wasnt in one of those other grey boxes which i dont anymore remember the location of because this site is so poorly laid out
            • no that's not right, maybe i should just update the firmware with a blank text file to eliminate this irritating website and all of this secrecy inside of the little white box that handles all of the firewalling, NAT/PATing, wireless access, PPPoEthr, Mac Security, and "routing" wait no it doesnt actually do routing unless i missed the static routes page not to mention the RIP and OSPF pages also.

sorry about the horrible bullet pointing but that's the closest thing i could get to the desired effect of the click to show text nested 20 times to get to all of the information with many duplicate click to show text options in each most of which have no information worth looking at.
(this i forgive D-Link for, after-all this is not only a BETA but also FREE!!! good effort, and great initiative! I think that the forum is a powerful asset to hardware companies in order to both have users help you with tech support and users help you with improving your product also. This is a huge step forward towards your path to recovery as a networking hardware company (no offense meant, you guys are better off than ALL of the home networking hardware companies already despite your flaws, at least this device doesnt overheat and reboot like my netqwear and twinksys equipment did))
(the other companies are in much deeper holes than you guys, im glad ive got this semi functional, yet feature rich and stable device instead of a malfunctioning device that when configured DMZ blocks all ports to that device (netqwear) or deciding to forward packets sometimes as long as its not too busy trying to start a fire (twinksys) im serious that thing if you tried to download a torrent it would overheat stop forwarding intermittently for 15 minutes the reboot)

is there a printable poster size map for navigating this complex and ease prohibitive layout? If so maybe I should be contacting D-Link about me doing it for free for them in exchange for telling me where the console prompt is hidden in there.

And why is this whole thing focused around attempting to trick me into allowing it to commence destroying my setup with wizardry and other such nonsense. Presto Poofo... uhoh there goes my Network-o. Wasn't that quick to change all my settings without me knowing what the heck happened.

xx32racer32xx

• Level 1 Member

i especially like the connectivity diagnostics page, it has ping and the other option of not ping. Great to tell me how the plug is wired wrong, the wire is too long to function, that there is a duplex issue, that there is an issue with negotiating port speed or DHCP. grand effort, grand. you guys seriously need to hire a CCNP to tell you what tools you need to employ to provide diagnostics, ping can be run from the computer atop that it wont help any user that knows what it does because they have already done that and it failed that's why they're diagnosing the router.

well enough of my ranting for a little while, im going to install linux on my 655 or at least learn why i cannot through means of research.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member

This ia a typical home router and not very hard to set up.

You can't install anything onto the router it is a propriatary operating system embedded into it.  

Don't need to be Certified to set this up, it really isn't that difficult.

Again, there is no console command for this router and the config file is encrypted so you wouldn't be able to read it anyways.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 09:48:29 PM by davevt31 »

xx32racer32xx

• Level 1 Member

I am certified, but not in navigating hidden menus and mazes. it would be nice to at least have a legacy support even for an outdated version of a console management system.
Cisco proprietary os embedded (no gui at all except for a few select models most of which are not actually cisco products they just have a cisco sticker)
Juniper open source FreeBSD used as a hardware management interface between their proprietary router software (also no gui at all) and the pc equipment thats inside (yeh the junipers are pcs u can install a normal os on it (no video output tho) and you can install juniper os on any computer also.
oh well I guess im just gonna have to live with it, it does work well when im not lost in the maze of a website. Xtremely well (except for the horrible wifi antennas, but i dont care about wifi anyway (although using a 1 inch peice of wire dipole with one pole effectively sheilding the other is not a great method of transmitting information through the air.) I have a 50Mbit down and a 20Mbit up (FiOS) and this things capable of connecting to 5000ish remote computers and download at 50Mbits/s without having packet dropping overheating or nonfatal congestion problems. id just like to take a look around whats really going on or have some kind of diagnostic tools that i could run on the thing to give some use to the diagnostic page that they decided to leave completely empty there.

davevt31

• Level 9 Member

If you are so passionate about having a console interface, why wait 2 years before coming on here and asking for it?