• March 28, 2024, 06:55:52 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Author Topic: DCS-825L - Firmware Wishlist  (Read 103096 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: DCS-825L - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2014, 04:11:39 AM »

Wow thanks JavaLawyer. When can we expect to see the update?

This firmware wishlist is a community maintained list of wants/desires and may not necessarily reflect FW/app changes implemented by D-Link. D-Link does however visit these boards, so this type of centralized list provides D-Link with visibility to the features/functionality everyone is looking for.

Dont forgot to turn off recording from SD Card :)

Added...
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2014, 04:12:45 AM »

The following DCS-825L Firmware Wishlist contains the collective contribution of the DCS-825L D-Link forum community. This wishlist contains firmware suggestions provided by the forum community and may not reflect actual changes to current or future D-Link firmware releases. If you would like to contribute to this list, please post your suggestions as a reply to this thread.

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DCS-825L Wishlist

• General - Web UI interface similar to other D-Link Cloud cameras
  • Image/Video - Portrait display support
  • Mobile App - Control to disable temperature sensor
  • Mobile App - Option to configure email notifications from the mobile app (i.e. multiple emails for different events and ability to add snapshots)
  • Notifications - Enable push notification when mobile app is on in the background
  • SD Card - Option to disable recording
  • SD Card - Option to record on a schedule
  • Settings - NTP - Option to specify alternate NTP server
  • Settings - NTP - Synch date/time with NTP server

Wishlist Items Addressed by D-Link (Thank You!)

• Mobile App - Landscape mode contains UI inconsistencies (e.g. When "Apply" is selected in the Events screen, users must scroll to top of screen to see the "Saving" popup, otherwise there is no feedback from the app indicating the action was completed)

pri77y

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2014, 01:23:31 AM »

Here are some of my wishes to a future firmware update:
- Push notifications on my Ipad/Iphone if I'm not into the app or if the device is locked...
- Be able to get the volume louder when we quit the app to hear the sound in the baby's room
- Correct the delay of 2 secs on the sound...
- Correct the language traductions on "myDlink baby monitor" app (when I set the lang of my ipad/iphone to french I get strange messages like variables)
- Correct an issue that seems to not allow adding the camera to mydlink space from ipad/iphone

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2014, 04:34:03 AM »

Here are some of my wishes to a future firmware update:
- Push notifications on my Ipad/Iphone if I'm not into the app or if the device is locked...

Already in list

- Be able to get the volume louder when we quit the app to hear the sound in the baby's room

Please elaborate. If you quit the app, where is the sound coming from?  ???

- Correct the delay of 2 secs on the sound...

The sound and video are out of sync?

- Correct the language traductions on "myDlink baby monitor" app (when I set the lang of my ipad/iphone to french I get strange messages like variables)

Added to the wishlist...  :)

- Correct an issue that seems to not allow adding the camera to mydlink space from ipad/iphone

I don't see this as a wishlist item since the mobile app already support adding DCS-825Ls to mydlink. I'm not sure what the issue is with your particular account/camera.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2014, 04:37:57 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2014, 04:37:11 AM »

The following DCS-825L Firmware Wishlist contains the collective contribution of the DCS-825L D-Link forum community. This wishlist contains firmware suggestions provided by the forum community and may not reflect actual changes to current or future D-Link firmware releases. If you would like to contribute to this list, please post your suggestions as a reply to this thread.

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DCS-825L Wishlist

• General - Web UI interface similar to other D-Link Cloud cameras
  • Mobile App - French language translation contains some seemingly random symbols/characters
  • Mobile App - Option to configure email notifications from the mobile app (i.e. multiple emails for different events and ability to add snapshots)
  • Notifications - Enable push notification when mobile app is on in the background

• Mobile App - Landscape mode contains UI inconsistencies (e.g. When "Apply" is selected in the Events screen, users must scroll to top of screen to see the "Saving" popup, otherwise there is no feedback from the app indicating the action was completed)

DavidAu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2014, 04:28:18 AM »

I agree with the others that say the Hardware is excellent, but the device is being let down by the Software.

This is my list of requests from what I've noticed using the DCS-825L with latest FW: 1.02b3427 and with the myDlink Baby App (v1.02.01 on Android) over a few days (some are already added, so just consider them a +1!):

• Complete config capability from LAN Web UI http://<cam-ip>/eng/mainFrame.cgi (should not have to use myDlink Cloud or App Settings dialog). Currently only shows: Wi-Fi AP Client settings and SD-card files, Firmware upgrade and Info. Should be able to set things like: Resolution, Brightness, Speaker Volume, Boot-up music (on/off/vol), Day/Night/Auto mode, Event detection (level/range/sensitivity), Lullaby timer, LED light (on/off).
  • LAN Web UI page (as above) should be accessible via a redirect from web root http://<cam-ip>/[font], and should also provide shortcuts to the other key LiveView or Admin URLs: http://<cam-ip>/video/mjpg.cgi, rstp://<cam-ip>:554/play1.sdp, http://<cam-ip>/cgi/admin/telnetd.cgi?command=on, etc.
  • LAN Web UI page (as above) should provide maintenance of the Wi-Fi 'Ad-Hoc' AP SSID etc.
  • Push notifications on Android App (when running in foreground or background).
  • Ability to 'Exit' the Android App (currently have to close via Task Manager).
  • Secondary user accounts for 'guest' access to live mjpeg/rtsp streams only (vs full admin with config).
  • Event recording on/off (or schedule-based).
  • NFS or FTP services to camera sd-card filesystem.
  • Custom lullaby music on sd-card.
  • Noise cancelling processing to prevent feedback loops between cam/phone speakers and cam mic.
  • Using a core of GPL open-source libraries (linux/lighttpd/busybox/ffmpeg) on this very impressive hardware device is fantastic and it could really blow the competition away if the device sources were made more accessible to a dev community who can directly provide firmware fixes to improve, patch and harden flaws in the device now and into the future. NOT doing this introduces a risk (or at least a worry) that your customer's devices may be compromised by researchers or less-friendly hackers (e.g. as occurred with the DCS-2121 http://archive.hack.lu/2013/ipcams-research-falcon-riva.pdf)
  • An addendum to the above. Don't try to pretend this device is like mainstream baby-monitors that are super user-friendly and dumb. Set an expectation through documentation or labelling that this is a feature-rich Linux-enabled device, firmware updates will be expected and required for optimal functionality. This simple measure might avoid the device receiving terrible feedback/returns from customers that are expecting a different experience.

I think that's enough for now, I'll let you know if I can think of any others! ;)
DCS-825L Baby-cam Owner

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2014, 05:26:21 AM »

I agree with the others that say the Hardware is excellent, but the device is being let down by the Software.

This is my list of requests from what I've noticed using the DCS-825L with latest FW: 1.02b3427 and with the myDlink Baby App (v1.02.01 on Android) over a few days (some are already added, so just consider them a +1!):

• Complete config capability from LAN Web UI http://<cam-ip>/eng/mainFrame.cgi (should not have to use myDlink Cloud or App Settings dialog). Currently only shows: Wi-Fi AP Client settings and SD-card files, Firmware upgrade and Info. Should be able to set things like: Resolution, Brightness, Speaker Volume, Boot-up music (on/off/vol), Day/Night/Auto mode, Event detection (level/range/sensitivity), Lullaby timer, LED light (on/off).
  • LAN Web UI page (as above) should be accessible via a redirect from web root http://<cam-ip>/[font], and should also provide shortcuts to the other key LiveView or Admin URLs: http://<cam-ip>/video/mjpg.cgi, rstp://<cam-ip>:554/play1.sdp, http://<cam-ip>/cgi/admin/telnetd.cgi?command=on, etc.
  • LAN Web UI page (as above) should provide maintenance of the Wi-Fi 'Ad-Hoc' AP SSID etc.

This was already on the wishlist under General - Web UI interface similar to other D-Link Cloud cameras. I'll clarify and expand on this line item a bit to be more comprehensive.

• Push notifications on Android App (when running in foreground or background).
  • Ability to 'Exit' the Android App (currently have to close via Task Manager).
  • Secondary user accounts for 'guest' access to live mjpeg/rtsp streams only (vs full admin with config).
  • Event recording on/off (or schedule-based).
  • NFS or FTP services to camera sd-card filesystem.
  • Custom lullaby music on sd-card.
  • Noise cancelling processing to prevent feedback loops between cam/phone speakers and cam mic.

Added to the wishlist...

• Using a core of GPL open-source libraries (linux/lighttpd/busybox/ffmpeg) on this very impressive hardware device is fantastic and it could really blow the competition away if the device sources were made more accessible to a dev community who can directly provide firmware fixes to improve, patch and harden flaws in the device now and into the future. NOT doing this introduces a risk (or at least a worry) that your customer's devices may be compromised by researchers or less-friendly hackers (e.g. as occurred with the DCS-2121 http://archive.hack.lu/2013/ipcams-research-falcon-riva.pdf)
  • An addendum to the above. Don't try to pretend this device is like mainstream baby-monitors that are super user-friendly and dumb. Set an expectation through documentation or labelling that this is a feature-rich Linux-enabled device, firmware updates will be expected and required for optimal functionality. This simple measure might avoid the device receiving terrible feedback/returns from customers that are expecting a different experience.

I'll add this, but keep in mind that this is a wishlist, not a fantasy list! The underlying firmware is very similar in functionality as the base firmware on the entire Cloud camera line, so I don't think that they will be opening this up to the public.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #52 on: March 05, 2014, 05:33:22 AM »

DCS-825L Wishlist

• General - Web UI interface to modify network, video, image, administrative, and general camera settings similar to other D-Link Cloud cameras
  • General - Open source firmware
  • Audio - Noise Cancelling processing to prevent feedback loops between camera speakers and microphone
  • Events - Support for scheduled recording
  • Lullaby - Option to save custom lullaby to SD card
  • Mobile App - French language translation contains some seemingly random symbols/characters
  • Mobile App - Option to "Exit" the app (rather than closing via Task Manager)
  • Mobile App - Support for multiple guest accounts with access limited to viewing live video streams
  • SD Card - FTP support
  • SD Card - NFS support

DavidAu

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #53 on: March 05, 2014, 08:48:13 PM »

Thanks JavaLawyer. Very appreciative that you're maintaining this list providing feedback to D-Link! ;D

• Boot-up music (on/off/vol): probably needs it own line. It was added in the 1.02b3418 Firmware, but currently is not configurable. See comment from Angainor on that page (it wakes her baby).
  • Add a rolling Web Log (username/IP/date/time/url) of access requests to camera config or stream.

Opinion/Philosophisation/Debate/Rant:
I agree that I'm asking a bit, but as a software engineer and tech hobbyist it seems funny to include all this 'open' tech and then not go all the way to make it available to enthusiasts to improve its capability.
Also, I am appreciative of 'cloud' for email and data/image hosting on my terms, but I'm not a very 'cloud' kind of person when it comes integrated into proprietary hardware devices. Just as it was for my new HP 'cloud' wi-fi printer, it seems completely unnecessary (and a dangerous, untrusted, vulnerable attack-vector) to have remote internet web-access to my printer or baby cam on my home network, especially where that software is not 'open' and able to be critically analysed. So I'm glad you can opt-out from this service, but in doing so, such devices have an obligation to operate on private LAN just as well. It is elementary to port-forward pages/streams remotely through an internet router if that is desired. Adding 'cloud' services to devices for such marginal benefit is a disturbing new trend sneaking up on the social networking generation, but it seems more like customer phishing to me. So I thought at least I should add a new feature request for access logs...
DCS-825L Baby-cam Owner

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #54 on: March 06, 2014, 04:39:58 AM »

Thanks JavaLawyer. Very appreciative that you're maintaining this list providing feedback to D-Link! ;D

• Boot-up music (on/off/vol): probably needs it own line. It was added in the 1.02b3418 Firmware, but currently is not configurable. See comment from Angainor on that page (it wakes her baby).
  • Add a rolling Web Log (username/IP/date/time/url) of access requests to camera config or stream.

Thanks! Added your additional items to the firmware wishlist...  ;)

Opinion/Philosophisation/Debate/Rant:
I agree that I'm asking a bit, but as a software engineer and tech hobbyist it seems funny to include all this 'open' tech and then not go all the way to make it available to enthusiasts to improve its capability.
Also, I am appreciative of 'cloud' for email and data/image hosting on my terms, but I'm not a very 'cloud' kind of person when it comes integrated into proprietary hardware devices. Just as it was for my new HP 'cloud' wi-fi printer, it seems completely unnecessary (and a dangerous, untrusted, vulnerable attack-vector) to have remote internet web-access to my printer or baby cam on my home network, especially where that software is not 'open' and able to be critically analysed. So I'm glad you can opt-out from this service, but in doing so, such devices have an obligation to operate on private LAN just as well. It is elementary to port-forward pages/streams remotely through an internet router if that is desired. Adding 'cloud' services to devices for such marginal benefit is a disturbing new trend sneaking up on the social networking generation, but it seems more like customer phishing to me. So I thought at least I should add a new feature request for access logs...[/size]

Security reasons aside, D-Link has an array of other networked devices, such as NAS, NVR, routers, and more products to come. Providing a solution to provide for integrated remote access between all of these related devices is an appealing proposition. There are just some kinks that needs to be worked out, as their Cloud solution did not even exist two years ago.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #55 on: March 06, 2014, 04:47:44 AM »

DCS-825L Wishlist

• General - Web UI interface to modify network, video, image, administrative, and general camera settings similar to other D-Link Cloud cameras
  • General - Open source firmware
  • General - Option to configure the boot-up music (i.e. enable, disable, change volume)
  • Audio - Noise Cancelling processing to prevent feedback loops between camera speakers and microphone
  • Events - Support for scheduled recording
  • Log File - Maintain log of user login attempts with username, IP, date, time, URL)
  • Lullaby - Option to save custom lullaby to SD card
  • Mobile App - Option to "Exit" the app (rather than closing via Task Manager)
  • Mobile App - Support for multiple guest accounts with access limited to viewing live video streams
  • SD Card - FTP support
  • SD Card - NFS support

DidierVl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #56 on: March 13, 2014, 09:14:53 AM »

I wish we could shut down/start up the camera via the app/web interface.

DidierVl

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #57 on: March 13, 2014, 09:19:17 AM »

Please optimize mobile app for tablets!!!

For example, I own a Samsung Nexus 10 (android 4.4.2) and the button layouts are horrible. Buttons are missing, text is missing, buttons on the wrong location, buttons are in front of selectable text.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #58 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:37 AM »

I wish we could shut down/start up the camera via the app/web interface.

Added to the wishlist...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #59 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:52 AM »

Please optimize mobile app for tablets!!!

For example, I own a Samsung Nexus 10 (android 4.4.2) and the button layouts are horrible. Buttons are missing, text is missing, buttons on the wrong location, buttons are in front of selectable text.

Added to the wishlist...
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6