• April 26, 2024, 03:21:47 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: 2 x 1.5T Seagates showing as RAID 1 AND JBOD  (Read 11410 times)

Energata

• Level 1 Member
2 x 1.5T Seagates showing as RAID 1 AND JBOD
« on: July 27, 2009, 01:32:48 PM »

Just setup two Seagate 1.5T 7200.11 HDs as RAID 1 on ext2 as the file system......after it completes it shows up on the D-Link admin and through the D-Link Easy Search utilities as 2 volumes. Volume_1 is the RAID 1 setup @ 1498 GB . Volume_2 is a JBOD setup with 2671 GB.

In the Search utility, I can map to either the RAID 1 (Volume_1) or JBOD (Volume_2). I also upgraded to the 1.08 Beta firmware (today) and before that nothing seemed to work...I could format the drives, but could NOT map to them.

Both volume_1 and volume_2 seem to work fine by themselves. Is this standard, if I want to use the drives as RAID 1, just map to Volume_1 or if simply as JBOD map to volume_2 ??????? Or does this sound off?

Any help is appreciated......getting frustrated!!! LOL.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
Re: 2 x 1.5T Seagates showing as RAID 1 AND JBOD
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »

Something is not right there.

2 x 1498GB RAID1 = 2996GB of space, plus 2671GB of JBOD, gives you a grand total of 5757GB - not possible with 2 x 1.5TB drives.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

Energata

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2009, 07:43:21 PM »

Something is not right there.

2 x 1498GB RAID1 = 2996GB of space, plus 2671GB of JBOD, gives you a grand total of 5757GB - not possible with 2 x 1.5TB drives.

I couldn't agree more. It's as if it is BOTH a RAID 1 and a JBOD exist at the same time.

I formated it twice earlier, once in ext3 and last time in ext2...so I have no idea what the h*ll to do next...

Energata

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2009, 08:36:34 AM »

It's weird. It is as if this product does not want to work WITHOUT the 1.08 BETA firmware!

PHYSICAL DISK INFO :
Slot   Vendor   Model                 Serial Number        Size
1   Seagate   ST31500341AS   9VS29GYB           1500 G   
2   Seagate   ST31500341AS   9VS0BLMR           1500 G   

These are the drives. I was under the impression that 1.5TB drives work, and the 1.08 firmware was adding support for 2TB drives...? So, as it stands, I'm not exactly getting full, reliable functionality here......  >:(

creacom

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 05:19:31 AM »

Have you tried to configure it as JBOD?  I have a 1.06 and a 1.07 each with a pair of 2T drives and they work perfectly as JBOD.  (I have not tried them as RAID since I am using them to mirror another RAID array.) 

If you do not need the RAID, you might at least get the system to work with your drives in JBOD. 

Is it possible that it has not selected the format yet?  Have you selected the configuration under the Tools/RAID tabs?  (Where it says "Set RAID Type and Re-Format".)  What happens if you do it again?

Since it cannot do both JBOD and RAID and since there should only be one volume, I think it is waiting for you to choose one.  Try writing some files to the volume that matches the configuration you want.  After a reboot of the NAS, it may remove the other volume.  (I'm guessing, obviously.) 

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009, 07:06:21 AM »

Please be aware of the risks involved in using JBOD - if either drive fails, you can expect to lose access to your data even if that data is contained entirely on the surviving drive - in this case the data will remain available upto the first time the unit is rebooted, after that, good luck.

Because of the increased risk of data loss when a drive fails I would suggest that JBOD and RAID0 be avoided.

Energata

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009, 09:54:56 AM »

Please be aware of the risks involved in using JBOD - if either drive fails, you can expect to lose access to your data even if that data is contained entirely on the surviving drive - in this case the data will remain available upto the first time the unit is rebooted, after that, good luck.

Because of the increased risk of data loss when a drive fails I would suggest that JBOD and RAID0 be avoided.

Good advice fordem.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009, 12:48:52 AM »

i was running jbod and its not the hard drive issue that you will run into its the dlink will corrupt the hard drive in jbod so avoid jbod

i run two separate volumes and still have all kinds of bt access issues but my data is safer

i wish we could see some decent firmware to run this thing!
DNS-323  2x1.5TB Seagate Drives Separate Volumes
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
Various computers and hardware, Win xp, Win 7,
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2009, 05:20:45 AM »

i was running jbod and its not the hard drive issue that you will run into its the dlink will corrupt the hard drive in jbod so avoid jbod

How did you reach that conclusion?

Energata

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2009, 07:20:46 AM »

i wish we could see some decent firmware to run this thing!

coxwin, I couldn't agree with you more. In a very long time, I have not been as disappointed with a products so-called release features... especially seeing the firmware versions up to 1.07. Firmware 1.08 should have been released LONG ago....

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2009, 09:49:55 AM »

How did you reach that conclusion?

Lets see, two drives in JBOD, then have to turn the drive off unplug, reset to factory settings to get the directory back, every few days.

Now removed JBOD and set up as two separate volumes and keep getting the BT to hang the web interface.  I must turn off and unplug the power cable to get the system back

Sorry,  this dlink makes a lot of great claims but cant deliver on them.

I have had for 7 months and cant go one week without having to reset the system.  Also if I don't use it then I don't have a problem which makes no sense to not use it.
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2009, 10:02:13 AM »

Sorry,  this dlink makes a lot of great claims but cant deliver on them.

I have had for 7 months and cant go one week without having to reset the system.

What claim would that be?  I've had my DNS-323 for over 30 months and the one thing that has given trouble is the ext3 file system, everything else works.

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2009, 10:51:40 AM »

FROM THE DLNIK WEBSITE, it looks like they removed the itunes conectivity from their marketing data.

Features
D-Link Green Verified Product
Secure and Share Your Digital Files
Insert Either One or Two Internal 3.5” SATA Hard Drives without Using Any Tools or Attaching Any Cables1
Protect Your Important Files with Mirrored Hard Drives Using RAID 1 Technology2
Access Stored Files over The Internet

Description
SAFELY SHARE DIGITAL FILES LOCALLY AND OVER THE INTERNET
The D-Link® 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure (DNS-323) when used with two internal 3.5” SATA drives1 enables you to share documents, files, and digital media such as music, photos, and video with everyone on your home or office network. With the built-in FTP server3, you can access your files remotely over the Internet from anywhere in the world and keep data safe by only giving rights to specific users or groups. When configuring the DNS-323, you can create users and groups and assign them to folders with either read or read/write permissions.

This is ideal for an office environment with employee-specific sensitive data or for the home where you can ensure your children will only have access to age appropriate material. With the built-in USB print server port, you can add a USB printer to your network without a dedicated computer so anyone can print from anywhere on the network.

D-Link DNS-323 Special Features:

SATA Drive Support
Internet Access via FTP
UPnP AV for Storing and Streaming Media Files
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Port
USB Print Server Port
Built-In Fan Included

STREAM DIGITAL MEDIA CONTENT TO UPnP™ AV COMPATIBLE MEDIA PLAYERS
The DNS-323 includes the latest BitTorrent® software support so you can access and store digital media from the Internet without the need for a dedicated PC to be turned on or connected. The DNS-323 connects directly to your home or office network and acts as a media hub for BitTorrent-enabled content. The DNS-323 also acts as an UPnP™ AV media server that streams media to a compatible player (such as those found in D-Link’s MediaLounge™ product line).

PROTECTION, PERFORMANCE, AND FLEXIBILITY
Four different hard drive modes (Standard, JBOD, RAID 0, RAID1) enable you to choose the configuration best suited to your needs. Standard mode creates two separately accessible hard drives. JBOD combines both drives in linear fashion for maximum space efficiency. RAID 0 combines both drives in a ‘striped’ configuration, which provides the highest performance. RAID 1 causes the drives to mirror each other, providing maximum protection. If one drive fails while configured as RAID 1, the unaffected drive continues as a single drive until the failed drive is replaced. The new drive will then be remirrored, returning full protection to both drives after it has been mirrored.

SIMPLIFIED MANAGEMENT
The DNS-323 can automatically back up your data regardless of your computer’s operating system (Windows®, Mac®, or Linux®). For Windows users, the included feature-rich backup software can help you create schedules and rules including real-time full or incremental backups and storage quotas for specific users and groups. The DNS-323 also features a built-in FTP server3 to access files through the Internet, enabling you to manage your files from anywhere in the world.

The 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure (DNS-323) is a high performance, cost-effective solution that provides protection, performance, and flexibility along with simplified management and gigabit connectivity, perfect for your home and small business data storage needs.

WHAT THIS PRODUCT DOES
The D-Link 2-Bay Network Storage Enclosure (DNS-323) when used with internal SATA drives1 enables you to share documents, music, photos, and video across the network and on the Internet so family members, friends, or employees can access them. This network storage enclosure creates a central network point for backing up valuable files and the built-in RAID 1 mirroring technology1 protects these files from drive failure. You can also use this device to stream photos, music, and videos to UPnP AV compatible network media players4.

ROBUST SOFTWARE INCLUDED
The included CD contains the D-Link Easy Search Utility. This utility allows access to the DNS-323 from anywhere on the network. A feature-rich backup software is also included. You can backup valuable files from a computer to the DNS-323 in real-time, manually or on a schedule. Real-time backups are a great way to safeguard against unfortunate accidents that may result in the loss of precious files.
Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware

ECF

• Administrator
  • Level 11 Member
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2009, 12:01:10 PM »

coxwain

You are have an issue with all of these features?
Never forget that only dead fish swim with the stream

coxwain

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2009, 12:21:12 PM »

Case #DCA1537956, had to reformat the drives and remove JBOD to single drive volumes

I am not getting updated directory listing via my PS3 and dlink323 as media server
I use the ps3 media server program on another computer that the ps3 connects to without any problem

I have to unplug the 323 once every couple of days to reset the webclient so I can access the unit through the web browser

conceptually this is a great product, but performance is just not there.

I used a wired network on a gigabite switch and get lag in frame selection fromthe ps3 or complete freeze.

Why havent we seen any firmware upgrade since january (other than the hard drive upgrade of 1.07)

I think this product should have 300-500meg drives to keep the burden of heat and access time to a minimum.

Volume1
Volume2
Playstation 3 80gb
1.07 firmware
Pages: [1] 2