• April 19, 2024, 12:48:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 2 x 1TB in RAID1 to 2TB RAID1  (Read 5369 times)

STR3T

• Level 1 Member
2 x 1TB in RAID1 to 2TB RAID1
« on: April 17, 2012, 08:22:21 PM »

First, I've been running ver. 1.09 with 2 Hitachi HDS721010KLA330's for a number of years w/out any hiccups.  Been a great little unit for me.

Recently picked up an HD video cam and will be needing a bit more storage.

So leaning toward moving to 2TB drives (maybe WD20EARS) but seeing that I'd need to upgrade to 1.10...and most posts say that 1.10 is basically beta and unstable and don't do it.

Am I better off finding a new NAS entirely since it appears D-Link is done updating this unit?

If not, I also would need some tips re: best steps to swapping out of the 1TB's and into the 2TB's w/out losing data.  Seems I recall doing this can be pretty risky (overwriting the data disk w/ a blank/formatted disk?).

I do not yet have a backup in place for a lot of the stuff on the 323 (tons of photos).  I've got ~650GB used on the 1TB.  Have a little less than that available to me on a 1TB on my main PC. 

STR3T

• Level 1 Member
Re: 2 x 1TB in RAID1 to 2TB RAID1
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 08:38:25 PM »

Ok, nix my support request for the actual steps on moving to 2TB, found my own very old thread re: 500GB to the 1TB's and mig helped out:  http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=3746.0

A few more searches recently and it does not look like things have changed on this front.

Backup first, insert the new drives, enable RAID1, copy data over.  Time consuming but works.

But would like to hear any thoughts re: just bagging out on this idea w/ the 2TB drives and ver. 1.10...

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 02:56:29 AM »

Because you have a RAID 1 setup and no backup your best bet would be to get an SATA to USB adapter or caddy and if you use windows one of the installable file systems that will read the ext2 file system on the drives.

You can then pull the old drives, install the new, updating firmware as necessary, and copy back from one of the old drives in the adapter/caddy.

STR3T

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 06:40:48 AM »

Thanks, ivan

If I understand, grab something like this:  http://www.amazon.com/USB-SATA-5-25-Cable-Adapter/dp/B000YJBL78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335101711&sr=8-1

Remove the current 1TB HD's, plug in 2 x 2TB's and create a new RAID 1 array.

Then plug in one of the old 1TB drives into the back of the DNS-323 via USB port?

Or just simply use any USB port on my main PC (or wherever) to transfer the files back?

What required software is it you refer to (I am using Windows 7 Premium)...

ivan

• Level 8 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 01:09:26 PM »

Yes that will do nicely, we have a dozen of them floating round the repair department.

Correct about removing old drives and setting up new drives as RAID 1, just remember you might have to update the firmware to format the drives - you can go back after without problems.

I'm not sure if you can restore using the built in USB socket - all our DNS-323s are used as print servers and we have enough space to store everything, if necessary, on out ProLiant storage system. 

When we are out on a service call we use an available USB port on the clients computer, we have a CD with various drivers and IFS available.

Since you are using windows read the sticky at http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=41395.0  which gives links to the IFS - just find one that works for you.

Just remember that unless you do something stupid with your old drives, like formatting them - windows will try to do that if you plug into a USB port without the IFS installed, you have two copies of your data safe and backed up.

dounne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2012, 11:13:22 AM »

Hi guys,

I am in trouble ... I hope you will be able to help me to solve this ... I had 2*1Tb (RAID1) on my DNS-323 and I wanted to upgrade my HDDs using 2*2TB (RAID1). If somethings happens to our nas, I read there is (normaly) no problem to read the hdd on a computer through a dock station or similar ... So ... as I had no others HDDs to backup it first, I pulled the 1TB drives out of the dns-323 and i put the 2Tb. I created the RAID1 ... evrything was ok ... with the NAS but not with the drives I extracted  ... :  now It seems I have no access to the folder of the drives I pulled out.
I am actually running Linux and I only have a folder called Backup with a padlock on it ...

Anyone can help  ???... please ...
Thank you !!!  ;)

dounne

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2012, 11:37:43 AM »

Ok, I already get the solution : my problem is maybe I am running on Linux. On Xp, using the famous Ext2 Installable File System for Windows and giving a letter to the partition at the end of the installation (hdd had not maybe b/c of the raid1 and I suppose it is the reason why I was unable to access to it on linux) it has worked directly. So I feel much better now and I may be a good information if one day someone else looks for it ... because I had not find it.

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2012, 11:51:28 AM »

You should be able to mount the drive(s) using linux, in pretty much the same way, as you can using Windows -although you may have to do so at a command prompt, and using the correct syntax.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.