• May 07, 2024, 03:41:58 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: How to get CinemaNow & NetFlix, working on LG BD390  (Read 16404 times)

hpdsolo

• Level 1 Member
How to get CinemaNow & NetFlix, working on LG BD390
« on: June 12, 2009, 04:58:28 PM »

Has anyone had any Luck on getting NetFlix or CinemaNow to stream from the DGL-4500. I have the LG BD390 and I'm unable to get it to work on the D-Link. I can switch back to my ole Belkin Pre N and it works fine.

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
Re: How to get CinemaNow & NetFlix, working on LG BD390
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »

Has anyone had any Luck on getting NetFlix or CinemaNow to stream from the DGL-4500. I have the LG BD390 and I'm unable to get it to work on the D-Link. I can switch back to my ole Belkin Pre N and it works fine.

Hi hpdsolo,

There have been problems with the LG BD390 working and streaming media properly through the router.  However, it has still yet to be addressed with firmwares as recent as 1.12 and up I believe.  It might possibly be a LG problem.  However, if you keep posting here, and mentioning it to them, it may get fixed!

hpdsolo

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2009, 05:38:59 PM »

Thanks for the reply, I really don't ...want to return it, but not having Netflix is a deal breaker for me. Keeping my fingers crossed. Just puzzled that my old router works fine, and this new router has issues?

Reinvented

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2009, 05:44:52 PM »

Yeah, that's what happens sometimes.  Hardware incompatibility.  Not much you can do about it, except see if you can find updates for either device to make it work properly.

I have an XBox 360, and a subscription to XBox Live, just so I can watch Netflix on it.  Not quite the same, but I haven't had any problems with it thus far.

Maybe that could be a quick fix for you until there's a work around, or a permanent fix for the issue.

ramcats

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2009, 10:00:29 PM »

I had the same problem, ontil I called support twice and got a hold of some one that knew what to do. He told me to set the bd390 to a static IP 192.168.0.99 and the DNS 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 in the network setup. I am now watching netflix with out a problem. I hope this helps

woolf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 05:23:29 PM »

I just purchased a LG BD390 and have experienced the same issues as everyone else.  The 'check connection' screen says I am connecting to my DLink DIR-655 router and also to the Internet but when I try to use Netflix, CinemaNow, or Youtube I almost always get the "You are not connected to the Internet" error message.  I am, but I am not. 

I have been able to watch one movie via Netflix but it never connected again.  After an hour on the phone with LG support, I successfully rebooted the entire system several times, even though I told them I had already tried this before I called. Of course, this never fixed anything.  Then she told me that my connection speed was not fast enough to use Netflix.  But it is.  I can stream a Netflix movie on my laptop in the same location that the BD390 is located just fine.  And when I went to the website she suggested to check my speed I had a speed 6-7 times faster than what they said was the minimum I needed.  Then she suggested I mail in the unit so that they could fix it.  I replied that I would just return it to Best Buy since I purchased it that same day and she hung up on me.

So, today I go the replacement unit.  Which seemed to be worse.  On the first unit at least I could download the software update via a cable connection.  The second unit took more than 10 tries before it would download the update (while I was on the phone with customer service again).

Of course they ask me to do the entire reboot thing.  Which I did but does nothing.  The second support person was nicer than the first and offered to keep looking for a solution.  First she suggested that Netflix was down.  But I reminded her that I could not connect to CinemaNow or Youtube either.  Plus, I could connect and stream Netflix from my laptop computer.  So it did not seem down on my end. 

I told her that even though the connection check always said I COULD connect to the Internet, when ever I tried Netflix, CinemaNow or Youtube, it always said I was not connected to the Internet.  Then she suggested I call my ISP to see if there is a problem connecting to the Internet.  I replied that there is not a problem with my ISP as all three of my computers and my Wii could connect to the Internet without a problem.

She then suggested that the only way that the BD390 would connect to the Internet was if all other networked devices were turned off.  I said this simply was not true.  I have enough bandwidth to support multiple connections.....but even when they are all turned off and the only connection is the BD390, it still will not connect properly. 

This is when she asked me to send in the unit for repair.  I told her I was fairly certain that there was not a physical problem with the BD390 but rather a software issue with DLink routers as I have noticed other DLink users say they are also having issues with the BD390.  She asked if I could try a different brand of router.  I would, except I don't have one.  And I really don't want to buy another one as the DIR-655 is fairly new and I have no other issues with it.  If I had another router I would at least give it a try  just to verify that the problem was indeed the DLink router.

At this point she said there wasn't really anything she could do to help other than offer to have me mail it in to get it fixed.  I agreed but asked her to at least include in the comments that there seems to be a connection issue with DLink routers.  This way, if enough DLink users call and write in that they are having issues, the company will realize there is a real problem and fix it in the next firmware upgrade.

I just upgraded the firmware for the DIR-655 to 1.31.  Maybe this will help a little.  I will continue to try to play around with the setting to see if anything helps (as mentioned in one post above, but did not specifically help my situation).

If anybody finds a solid answer to the LG BD390 DLink router problem please post it here!

• Turn off Advanced DNS Services if you have this option under Setup/Internet/Manual or under Setup/PARENTAL CONTROL/Set to>None: Static IP or Obtain Automatically From ISP.
  • Enable or Disable Use Unicasting (compatibility for some ISP DHCP Servers) and test under Setup/Internet/Manual. Disable may help with speed performance on higher speed ISP services.
  • Turn on DNS Relay  under Setup/Networking. Link>Finding Faster DNS Addresses using Name Bench and input new DNS addresses under Setup/Internet/Manual.
  • Setup DHCP reserved IP addresses for all devices ON the router. Setup/Networking. This ensures each devices gets its own IP address when turned on and connected, eliminates IP address conflicts and helps in troubleshooting and maintain consistency for applications that need to connect as well as mapped drives.
  • Ensure devices are set to auto obtain an IP address.
  • Set Firewall settings to Endpoint Independent for TCP and UDP under Advanced/Firewall. Enable or Disable SPI to test.
  • Enable uPnP and Multi-cast Streaming under Advanced/Networking. Disable uPnP for testing Port Forwarding rules.
>Router Troubleshooting Suggestions and Tips
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 09:32:57 AM by FurryNutz »

woolf

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2009, 06:19:37 AM »

As an update:  I purchased a Lynksys wireless router and now the LG BD3900 works without any issues.  So clearly the LG BD3900 really does have a problem with DLINK wireless routers.

Also, I read on another board where someone was able to get their DLINK router to work by assigning the LG BD390 to the one DMZ slot in the DLINK router.  That would not work for me as I already have my VOIP phone line using the one DMZ slot since it also had an issue with DLINK routers.  I don't have to use the DMZ at all with the Lynksys router.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 06:23:30 AM by woolf »

fovea1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:41 AM »

DIR 655 user, got a BD 390 yesterday and was struggling last night.

Here's the fix I just found: 
1) Go through Setup with Dynamic IP mode
2) If the connectivity test passes, write down all the IP, Gateway, and DNS addresses that were dynamically chosen
3) Immediately re-run Setup in Static IP mode, and hand-enter the dynamically chosen addresses.

This worked for me.

BTW - the BD 390 streams SD and HD video faster than a Roku, but the Roku remote is a paragon of simplicity and ease - it's better laid out for fast-forwarding and chapter-seeking. The Roku was easier to deploy with a Harmony One remote, since it is a separate device from the Blu-Ray player I had in my living room.  But my LCOS screen only has 2 HDMI ports, and I had to give up my HTPC with a standalone Blu-Ray and a Roku.  I'm sure I'll find a simple stratagem on the Logitech site to set the remote up more elegantly.

DS

dena808

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2009, 08:32:17 AM »

I had the same problem, ontil I called support twice and got a hold of some one that knew what to do. He told me to set the bd390 to a static IP 192.168.0.99 and the DNS 4.2.2.2 and 4.2.2.3 in the network setup. I am now watching netflix with out a problem. I hope this helps

I want to thank you for this post!  It completely solved my issue.  I was having issues with streaming Netflix and You Tube, and even downloading a firmware update.  I changed these settings and now it works perfectly. 

ktratman1988

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2010, 05:09:51 PM »

AWESOME FIX!!  Don't waste your time with LG or D-Link support.  Go right through the static IP and DNS settings.  I spent all morning with LG and D-Link support doing various shut downs, restarts, Port Opening settings, all NO LUCK.  The fix above worked in less than 3 minutes!!