• April 19, 2024, 01:18:05 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Moving JBOD Disks from DNS-321 to DNS-320L  (Read 4636 times)

MisterG

• Level 1 Member
Moving JBOD Disks from DNS-321 to DNS-320L
« on: February 11, 2016, 01:40:32 PM »

Here we go  :)

I have two HD's configured as JBOD which were previously in an older DNS-321 - which has now died.

I have purchased a new DNS-320L and I need to move these drives into it without losing any of the files on these disks - now how can I bypass the "Install Wizard" and get them running so I can retrieve the files off these Drives?

MisterG

• Level 1 Member
Re: Moving JBOD Disks from DNS-321 to DNS-320L
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 12:12:28 PM »

How about moving a pair of JBOD Disks from a DNS-321 into a DNS-323 - will that work?

ivan

• Level 8 Member
Re: Moving JBOD Disks from DNS-321 to DNS-320L
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 03:14:57 AM »

NO.

You need to backup all your data first but since your DNS-321 is dead than that won't work.

If you need the data on the JBOD set then you will need a USB/SATA adapter/caddy and some recovery software (R-Studio appears to work with JBOD sets) and enough disk space on your computer to build the virtual disk set.

When you have recovered as much of your data as possible put the disks in the new unit and format them as STANDARD disks (JBOD sets are fragile and you can lose all your data if one disk dies) and copy the data from the virtual disk set to the new unit - you have to decide what data goes on which disk.

You can make another JBOD set but you MUST be sure to make regular backups if your data is valuable to you.