• April 28, 2024, 03:37:00 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Gigabit Switch Network: Getting very slow speeds with the DNS-323  (Read 9911 times)

jcpose

• Level 1 Member

Hello All,

I am new to this forum, having just purchased the DNS-323.   I am having problems with my very slow speed copying large files to the device across my network.   Inside the device are 2 1 TB Samsung drives.
I have updated the firmware to 1.06.   

I have a gigabit switch, the Dlink DGS-1008D with CAT 6 connecting the DNS-323, and 2 computers on my network.   All three devices are setup with static IP Addresses.

Using Windows Explorer:

- When I transfer a 8 GB file from Computer A to the DNS-323 I get 8 Megabytes a second.   
    - When I transfer the same file from Computer A to Computer B I get 80 Megabytes a second.

I don't expect to get 80 MB a second, but is 8 MB reasonable for this device given the above network parameters and hard drive selection (the samsung drives are not the bottleneck)?  If no, what should I look into?

Thanks
Rob

slyder

• Level 2 Member
Re: Gigabit Switch Network: Getting very slow speeds with the DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:02:50 PM »

Using Windows Explorer:

- When I transfer a 8 GB file from Computer A to the DNS-323 I get 8 Megabytes a second.   
    - When I transfer the same file from Computer A to Computer B I get 80 Megabytes a second.

My setup is similiar, I use a dlink 1005D GB switch, deskto and laptop.. I get about 70gb sec between the computers.. but average about 17 to 30gb to the dns.

I've set the jumbo frame to 9000 on all three device interfaces which worked best for me..  My connections are Cat5E but the longest length is only 3 ft for this setup.  I have to difference in performance when locating my laptop about 30 ft away using cat6.

Just make sure the frame sizes are the same for all devices at GBspeeds.. Check the properties of your interface card and set the JUMBO FRame to the same size... for me 9000 works best

Hope it helps

jcpose

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 09:04:56 PM »

Hey Slyder,

Good to hear you have a similar setting and get around 17 to 30 Megabytes (I see you put 17 to 30 gb, but guessing you meant MB?).

Unfortunately I can't do the jumbo frame as my motherboard NIC doesn't provide that option (it's an asus motherboard with the intel PRO/1000 PL that because it's a mobile chipset doesn't support for the JFs )

(see this post if anyone is interested http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=164140 on my jumbo frame issue).

Wonder what else to try really.. sounds like I should be getting at least double what I am getting if you get 17-30 MB :)

Cheers
R

ttmcmurry

• Level 4 Member
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 09:10:04 PM »

That sounds very reasonable and consistent for what the DNS-323 is capable of.  If you look at your transfer rate in terms of megabits, it's about 64mbit/sec.  

With your other transfer rate.... Given it's 80MB/sec = 640mbit/sec, you'd have to be using SATA-II drives @ 7200RPM or better in both computers to achieve that; and you're likely saturating the gigabit switch with that kind of data transfer.

There's a huge difference between the controller in the 323 and a full-fledged computer.  That's why it's called a NAS - Network Attached Storage, not Network Attached Fileserver.  

You will find that with all of the NASes on the home market, they have similar performance and it is the features that really make them unique (I'm sorry but at these transfer rates a 5-10% performance difference is not that significant).  The features, reliability, low energy consumption, and style won me over with the 323.  If you want fast, get a USB or FireWire hard drive.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009, 09:13:39 PM by ttmcmurry »

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2009, 09:29:01 PM »

Transferring a single 8GB file across a jumbo frame enabled network, speeds of 15~18 MByte/sec are possible writing to the DNS-323 and as much as 30Mbyte/sec reading from it.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

jcpose

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 06:37:21 AM »

Hey All,

Thank you for your replies..  in terms of 8 megabytes being reasonable, I guess my original frame of reference was the smallnetbuilder review that tracked the DNS-323 write performance at

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/myincludes/image_page.php?/images_old/2006/11/15/dlink_dns323_1000m_write_perf_big.gif

Where one can see it more or less gets +/- 13.5 MB / second

I do like the DNS-323, and I can live with an 8 MB write speed.   It is a great product (point taken about the NAS, versus NFS), it would just make moving things so much faster if I could get closer to the 13.5 / second performance tracked in the above review.

Any other owners out there who can validate what write speeds they are getting typically?
R

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 07:40:48 AM »

jcpose

Did you a search on this before posting?  There are several other discussions on this topic, including one where I provide a link from which a test utility can be downloaded.

If you haven't I suggest you do so - at the very least, it'll make for some interesting reading.

bripab007

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 07:47:03 AM »

I can transfer a 1.08GB file from the DNS-323 (i.e. read) in ~50 seconds, and transferring that same file to the DNS-323 (i.e. write) took ~64 seconds.

So, that's what, 22.12MB/s read and 17.28MB/s write?  Now, granted, that's with a single, large file, so many, smaller files will always be far slower than this.

bigclaw

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 08:07:47 AM »

A single large file should achieve at least 15-18MB/s with no jumbo frames, transferring to/from a reasonably spec'ed PC, on a gigabit network.

Your 8MB/s figure doesn't sound reasonable to me given the above assumptions.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2009, 08:09:34 AM by bigclaw »

drh

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2009, 08:37:35 AM »

Being a recently new user of the DNS-323 paired with a couple Caviar Green 1TB drives, I've measured the following performance. Curiously, enabling Jumbo Frames on my Gigabit network (under DLink DGS-1008D Switch) actually HURTS performance, vs. enhancing it.

1000Mb (Forced 1000Mbps, FULL Duplex, Jumbo Frames on, set to 9000 bytes):
Running a 200MB file write on drive Z: 5 times...
------------------------------
Average (W):     11.44 MB/sec
Running a 200MB file read on drive Z: 5 times...
Average (R):     13.29 MB/sec

1000Mb (Forced 1000Mbps and FULL Duplex, Jumbo Frames Off):
Average (W):     13.38 MB/sec
Average (R):     12.98 MB/sec

fordem

• Level 10 Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 09:38:51 AM »

I'm inclined to say that anyone who finds that enabling jumboframe hurts throughput needs to investigate why - something has to be wrong with your implementation or your endpoints.

The figures posted immediately above are disappointingly low even for non jumboframe and there are no details of the other end of the connection - jumboframe needs to be enable on both sides, and, it may be necessary to determine by trial and error what the best frame size is for your particular hardware.

Whan I first saw claims of as much as a 50% increase in throughput, I found it unbelivable - most reviewers of this, and other NAS units report much lower numbers - but - I've personally seen in excess of 30MB/sec on a read so I know it is possible.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 09:51:27 AM by fordem »