• April 23, 2024, 08:49:27 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: I lost all of the recent files on DNS. Old files are still there. Please help.  (Read 3559 times)

fmark

• Level 1 Member

Hello,

I've got very strange problem with my DNS323. Yesterday I suddenly lost access to my DNS.
I manually rebooted DNS and when it finished booting I can see only my old files.
All of the most recent files are gone. It looks like I lost all the files from the last two years.

My DNS firmware is 1.05. I have two 500Gb disks setup in Raid 1.

Could someone please advice how to get my recent files back ?

Thank you!

Mark

JavaLawyer

• Poweruser
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic

Were these newer files all located in the same directory? And if so, is it possible you accidentally deleted the parent directory?
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

dosborne

• Level 5 Member

Disk failure would be my guess.
3 x DNS-323 with 2 x 2TB WD Drives each for a total of 12 TB Storage and Backup. Running DLink Firmware v1.08 and Fonz Fun Plug (FFP) v0.5 for improved software support.

fmark

• Level 1 Member

Were these newer files all located in the same directory? And if so, is it possible you accidentally deleted the parent directory?

No. 100% not accidentally deleted. The most recent files just disappeared. The 'Root' folder structure remained the same. I have 'MyData' folder in the 'root'. This folder is still there. However the most recent sub-folders of 'MyData' and files are gone.

I'm not familiar with EXT2 file system, but may it be that HDD's file allocation table reverted back to some old version (probably backed up somewhere on the disk) ? If yes, how can I switch back to a different file allocation table on EXT2 hdd ?

Thanks.

fordem

• Level 10 Member

As I understand it, the ext2 file system does maintain multiple copies of the file allocation bitmap, however, since this a mature and well tested file system, I think it unlikely that these would be out of sync and the unit would suddenly revert to an older version.

What I suspect is more likely is that your RAID1 subsystem may have been out of sync for some time, and you're now looking at the disk structure of the older disk - the DNS-323 does have a reputation for some level of "flakiness" as far as RAID is concerned.

My suggestion for dealing with this is to remove one disk at a time from the enclosure and see what the individual disks show - if you remove one disk you will get warnings about a degraded volume, however you should be able to access data from the remaining volume.
RAID1 is for disk redundancy - NOT data backup - don't confuse the two.

fmark

• Level 1 Member

@fordem:
I guess you're right about RAID1 failure.
I took one disk out of the DNS and it seems defective. Another disk shows my old files.
It seems that whatever I lost was on the defective drive. Now question is
how to retrieve data from that disk.

When I boot DNS with defective drive only, it shows nothing and
Web UI asks to format this drive. When I connect it to my computer through USB enclosure and use
DiskInternals Partition Recovery tool, it takes 10-15 minutes to just recognize the drive and when I start Partition scan it just sits there forever with no progress.

Any advise please ?

Thank you.

As I understand it, the ext2 file system does maintain multiple copies of the file allocation bitmap, however, since this a mature and well tested file system, I think it unlikely that these would be out of sync and the unit would suddenly revert to an older version.

What I suspect is more likely is that your RAID1 subsystem may have been out of sync for some time, and you're now looking at the disk structure of the older disk - the DNS-323 does have a reputation for some level of "flakiness" as far as RAID is concerned.

My suggestion for dealing with this is to remove one disk at a time from the enclosure and see what the individual disks show - if you remove one disk you will get warnings about a degraded volume, however you should be able to access data from the remaining volume.