• March 28, 2024, 05:32:54 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Backup or Raid1  (Read 2364 times)

arf1410

• Level 1 Member
Backup or Raid1
« on: March 21, 2010, 12:57:19 PM »

I have just purchased the DNS-323, and 2 Seagate 1.5 TB drives (89.99 each at frys).  My original thought was was to setup in RAID1 (I am a newbe here), which I think just instantly mirrors one drive to the next?  This way, if one drive has a physical failure, I am protected?  However, can a drive get a virus which is mirrored to mess up both drives?  What about if I do something stupid?  then it will instantly happen to the other drive? Would I be better off copying from Drive 1 to Drive 2 every night, or every couple of days?  Is there some way to tell the 323 to do this automatically?  I looked at the owners manual, but wasn't as detailed as I would like.  I would think a file by file copy, rather than a compressed  bunch would be best?

gunrunnerjohn

• Level 11 Member
Re: Backup or Raid1
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:12:22 PM »

You instincts are sound, RAID of any level is NOT backup!

Truthfully, I'd install that second drive in your computer and do the backups to a different physical box.  That way a power supply glitch or other disaster happening to the NAS doesn't affect both copies of the data.
Microsoft MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
Remember: Data you don't have two copies of is data you don't care about!
PS: RAID of any level is NOT a second copy.