• March 28, 2024, 05:31:16 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Connection issues with Minecraft multiplayer  (Read 36193 times)

Hard Harry

Re: Connection issues with Minecraft multiplayer
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 10:02:20 PM »

Hmmm..well any support site that has spelling mistakes on it....::cringe::

Whats look at what they suggest under "Basic Config"

"If you dont know how to edit the config file then this will give a more easy and safe enviroment for you to setup your server. These may be changed if Notch updates the server. Things will change."

::sigh::

Do you know of any competitent support site that I can read up on how it works? This one is pathetic.

:;Edit:: I found this. I will read it tommorow. Really tired right now.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2011, 10:05:16 PM by Hard Harry »

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2011, 10:16:06 PM »

Yup, no problem. Thanks for the help!

Edit: Just took a look at the logs on the router, noticed things like this popping up when ever I try to get onto the server.
"Blocked incoming TCP packet from 109.169.63.173:25565 to 173.32.215.197:61319 as PSH:ACK received but there is no active connection"

I've added the server IP (109.169.63.173) and port to the Inbound Filter and set the laptop to a DMZ. It seemed to work for a minute before kicking me off again. Only thing I can think of next, is basically going through and essentially adding each port that the log blocks from the server.

Edit2: Added 2 ports listed in the logs to the port forward entry, and so far so good, but we will see what happens
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 01:04:58 AM by Arigas »

Hard Harry

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2011, 09:05:12 PM »

Yea, 25565 is the main port, and the link I sent you before is more for is your hosting the game off your own PC. When you do that, then you have to configure virtual server which is different. But your paying someone to host, so all you have to do is connect to that server just like you would connect to any server. I found this link too that breaks it down

http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Dlink/DGL-4500/Minecraft_Server.htm

Did you find other ports then 25565?

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2011, 04:43:55 AM »

Yea, I found 3 other ports in total so far, so I just added a range to the port forward which should cover the 3 and any others in the future. I can only guess the server uses different ports to communicate to different users, but I really haven't the faintest idea lol.

Edit: So, either I just got really lucky, or my bloody port forwarding has stopped working. I changed the ports to ranges of ports, yet now its back to losing connection -.- I've even added them as UDP and updated the range in Gamerfuel to match the same range in Gaming.

Edit2: This is what I'm getting in my logs, every time I get disconnected. Each port has now shown up within the ranges I've set for port forwarding "Blocked incoming TCP packet from 109.169.63.173:25565 to 173.32.215.197:54851 as ACK received but there is no active connection"
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 06:18:16 AM by Arigas »

Hard Harry

« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2011, 07:28:32 AM »

Well then you want to set the packet type to both TCP and UDP. The server may be switching packet type based on traffic. Also check your firewall, I have my UDP set to Endpoint Independent and my TCP set to Address Restricted. Remeber port forwarding just directs past NAT, not the firewall. Also there is something to do with the ACK thing..trying to remeber..there is some setting that helps with that. I will dig through the forums. Also, you could try opening a ticket with youer server host. Not sure why there are other ports involved, and it would be good to have a actual list.

Hard Harry

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2011, 07:33:31 AM »

Also, are other people having problems with the server? As in can they connect? Also, can you connect to other servers?

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2011, 07:34:55 AM »

Doesn't seem like others have this problem, and when I tried other servers, it seemed as stable as my connection to my server is when it works.

Hard Harry

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2011, 08:19:17 PM »

So you can connect to other servers fine, and you can connect to your server fine, but sometimes it kicks out? That makes me think

A. Your server is having a issue sometime, making it cut out.
B. There is something different with your server then other servers. And thats where the ticket comes in with the company you pay. You need to know if there is some sort of security they enable or specail port.

Also, just to be clear, the game files are local, but you still had to upload some sort of client to the server right? Has that been configured? If so how? This really should be alot easier then this, so I think were missing some crucial info,.

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2011, 05:08:07 AM »

So you can connect to other servers fine, and you can connect to your server fine, but sometimes it kicks out? That makes me think

A. Your server is having a issue sometime, making it cut out.
B. There is something different with your server then other servers. And thats where the ticket comes in with the company you pay. You need to know if there is some sort of security they enable or specail port.

Also, just to be clear, the game files are local, but you still had to upload some sort of client to the server right? Has that been configured? If so how? This really should be alot easier then this, so I think were missing some crucial info,.
According to them, I shouldn't need to use any port forwarding to connect, and they didn't mention anything special needed.

The server was all set up on their end, I didn't have to upload a single thing. All I did was edit some files after the fact, which was related directly to options like pvp, monsters spawning, etc. To my knowledge, there is no way for me to modify connection related things.

HankRiker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2011, 06:59:40 AM »

Hello,

I agree, you shouldn't have to modify any settings on the router to connect to an external Minecraft server, I do it on occasion.

To host my own server, I added a port forward for port 25565 both UDP&TCP to point at the local IP of the machine hosting the server, nothing beyond that though...

Hope this helps,
Hank
My D-Link Hardware:
DIR-825 HW:B1 FW:2.02NA || DIR-825 HW:A1 FW:1.01 || DGS-1016D HW:C1 || DGL-4500 HW:A1 FW:1.02
DGL-4300 HW:A4 FW:1.9 || DGS-2205 || DGL-4300 HW:A2 FW:1.9 || DGL-4300 HW:A1 FW:1.9

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #25 on: January 20, 2011, 11:52:41 PM »

Ok, figured something out about this issue. Turns out if there aren't any players on the server, there isn't a problem. If I try to join when players are there, then I get the issue popping up every time. Earlier in the day I was playing for hours with no issues. Tonight, there are some people online, and I can't get a stable connection for more than 30 seconds.

HankRiker

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2011, 04:04:28 PM »

Ok, figured something out about this issue. Turns out if there aren't any players on the server, there isn't a problem. If I try to join when players are there, then I get the issue popping up every time. Earlier in the day I was playing for hours with no issues. Tonight, there are some people online, and I can't get a stable connection for more than 30 seconds.

While it may not be, this sounds like it might be an issue with the speed of the server or the upstream connection. I've seen both cause issues when trying to host things.

Are you running the server and client as well on your local PC? That might be too much for it, perhaps?

Or it might be something unrelated. Just throwing that out there...

Hope this helps,
Hank
My D-Link Hardware:
DIR-825 HW:B1 FW:2.02NA || DIR-825 HW:A1 FW:1.01 || DGS-1016D HW:C1 || DGL-4500 HW:A1 FW:1.02
DGL-4300 HW:A4 FW:1.9 || DGS-2205 || DGL-4300 HW:A2 FW:1.9 || DGL-4300 HW:A1 FW:1.9

Hard Harry

« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »

No, I think he is just running the client from his PC. The server is running, well..on the server. Have you considered opening a ticket with the server company? I think that might be the next best step. If nothing else it will give us some info to work with. Also, are other people having a hard time connecting to the game when others are playing? It could be a firewall issue between your server and your ISP. Traffic back and forth from your PC and server is fine, but from players>server>your PC is being blocked. Which is where knowing the ports for that traffic come in. Do you play with friends or randoms? Could you invite one of them to this forum so we can get their input?

Arigas

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2011, 12:19:50 AM »

Nope, no one else seems to be having issues. Also, was playing on another server fine for a bit, logged off for a few minutes, and then when I went back on, the issue started happening on that server as well, so I think its not just server specific, just lack of testing on my part  :-X

Hard Harry

« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2011, 06:46:27 AM »

Well don't lose hope, we got your back. I will download Minecraft and test it on my router and see what I get. Havent played in a long time, so it should be fun. Know any good place to find open friendly servers?

What I am thinking is either there is a configuration issue with your router that were missing, or there is something wrong with your modem communicating with the router. We know you don't have the problem with the router out of the loop, so that rules out PC and ISP. We know others arent having the problem, that rules out client and server. So I cant see anything other then router issue or moden>router issue. I will reset to factory, get it working on my router, then send you my config file if you want. That will rule out configuration and narrow it down to hardware or some issue with the connection from modem>router.

BTW, what modem do you have?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 06:52:56 AM by Hard Harry »
Pages: 1 [2] 3