• April 16, 2024, 11:10:22 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: DNS-327L - Firmware Wishlist  (Read 77484 times)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
DNS-327L - Firmware Wishlist
« on: October 22, 2013, 08:16:11 AM »

The following DNS-327L Firmware Wishlist contains the collective contribution of the DNS-327L D-Link forum community. If you would like to contribute to this list, please post your suggestions as a reply to this thread.

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-327L Wishlist

• TBD

Wishlist Items Addressed by D-Link (Thank You!)

• TBD
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:16:07 AM by JavaLawyer »
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

froad

• Level 2 Member
Re: DNS-327L - Firmware Wishlist
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 09:29:54 AM »

Not sure if it's a firmware wish - but I think so.  Have 2 942L camera's that record correctly on my 327L. 2 things need to either set up - or easily set up.  1)  be able to access the "my surveillance" whrough the mydlink.com site and 2) be able to have the ftp function work with the camera's automatically so you can have the camera's record as AVI/MP4 files to the hard drive so they can be easily accessed remotely foir copy/transfer or whatever

Thanks

Dave

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:50:00 AM »

Not sure if it's a firmware wish - but I think so.  Have 2 942L camera's that record correctly on my 327L. 2 things need to either set up - or easily set up.  1)  be able to access the "my surveillance" whrough the mydlink.com site and 2) be able to have the ftp function work with the camera's automatically so you can have the camera's record as AVI/MP4 files to the hard drive so they can be easily accessed remotely foir copy/transfer or whatever

Thanks

Dave

The first item sounds like a mydlink request, but I'll put it here for now...
For the FTP function, what do you mean by having the " ftp function work. . . automatically"?

froad

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »

The camera's I use (942L) have an option to send the video stream (when motion is detected) to a FTP.  The 327L can be set up as a FTP.  Followed what I think is the process but when I "test" the ftp setup in the camera setup - it fails.  Not sure if it's the 327L - the camera (942L) or maybe something on the router (845L).  Or just a plain old UBF  (user brain failure).  The 327L allows you to record the camera(s) within it "my surveillance" application - where and how is a mystery - it does it - as you can play them back - but using explorer or other file manager will not find the file on the network storage device (327L) - but I know it's there - just don't know exactly where.  The problem using this option is that I can not access it with mydlink (any of the my surveillance mode) again... maybe a failure on my part.  This is one of the reasons I want to use the 327 as a ftp - then the camera's would send the video clip as a avi or mp4 (my choice) which I can access through the mydlink portal.  It may take me a bit of time to reply as I am going into an "internet free zone" for a couple weeks so thanks in advance

thunder_2000

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2013, 12:26:27 AM »

Hi!

I've got 2 more points, i'd wish my dns327 would have.

• App like pyLoad - to download from One Click Hoster
  • User restrictions for Folders on Volume_1: I mean, that a new User can just see one folder of Volume_1

Just set up my new 327L yesterday, so maybe more wishes to come. :)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2013, 12:28:38 PM »

The camera's I use (942L) have an option to send the video stream (when motion is detected) to a FTP.  The 327L can be set up as a FTP.  Followed what I think is the process but when I "test" the ftp setup in the camera setup - it fails.  Not sure if it's the 327L - the camera (942L) or maybe something on the router (845L).  Or just a plain old UBF  (user brain failure).  The 327L allows you to record the camera(s) within it "my surveillance" application - where and how is a mystery - it does it - as you can play them back - but using explorer or other file manager will not find the file on the network storage device (327L) - but I know it's there - just don't know exactly where.  The problem using this option is that I can not access it with mydlink (any of the my surveillance mode) again... maybe a failure on my part.  This is one of the reasons I want to use the 327 as a ftp - then the camera's would send the video clip as a avi or mp4 (my choice) which I can access through the mydlink portal.  It may take me a bit of time to reply as I am going into an "internet free zone" for a couple weeks so thanks in advance

Both items are added. . .  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2013, 12:31:42 PM »

Hi!

I've got 2 more points, i'd wish my dns327 would have.

• App like pyLoad - to download from One Click Hoster

Added...  ;)

• User restrictions for Folders on Volume_1: I mean, that a new User can just see one folder of Volume_1

You can configure the DNS-327L to restrict access to specific directories using group and user policies

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2013, 12:32:31 PM »

The following DNS-327L Firmware Wishlist contains the collective contribution of the DNS-327L D-Link forum community. If you would like to contribute to this list, please post your suggestions as a reply to this thread.

Below is a summary of everyone's input thus far. Please let me know if I over-generalized, misrepresented, or missed anyone's concerns and I'll refresh the list with updates. Recent items are highlighted in blue.

If any items in the wishlist were fixed by the latest firmware, please post and I'll update!

DNS-327L Wishlist

• App - My Surveillance - Option to access app through mydlink
  • App - My Surveillance - Option to automatically use FTP to save Cloud camera video feeds as AVI/MP4 files accessible for copy/transfer
  • App - New App - Add app similar to pyLoad to download from Once Click host

• TBD
« Last Edit: November 26, 2013, 05:15:53 AM by JavaLawyer »

johnny.lau

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 05:04:11 PM »

Feature: Auto-Refresh on uPnP Server
-------------------------------------
Navigation: Management (Tab) > Application Management > Multimedia Services > UPnP AV Server Settings

Notice that 'uPnP server' does not have auto-refresh option. As a result, new files added into shared folder cannot be seen until manual refresh i.e. Files added on Transmission folder do not appear on TV using UPnP network Protocol.

This is not convenient as user will need to ask administrator to login and do manual refresh on DLINK NAS.

*click on manual refresh on Volume 1 and 2 button on that same page.

Having said that, the 'iTune server" has the option (check-box) for auto-refresh content.

Please provide same functionality so that user does not need administrator to go and manually refresh the content to be visible.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 06:14:02 PM by johnny.lau »

lsmart

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2013, 03:14:59 PM »

Added...  ;)

You can configure the DNS-327L to restrict access to specific directories using group and user policies

Yes. That is correct and the access restrictions do work.
The goal however should be that when a user with restricted access logs into his share he shouldn't be able to move up in the directory tree and browse (view not enter) all the other users shares and also Volume_1.
If i am not wrong in windows systems this behavior can be controlled with the policy setting "bypass traverse checking".
There are other NAS brands that allow "advanced share privileges" as:
-disable directory browsing
-disable modification of existing files
-disable file downloading
but i am not sure if this is what we are looking for.

Another useful addition would be the possibility to set quotas for a shares.
I know we can set quotas for users and groups but if for instance i have a Public share with all accounts access rights and want to limit it's size i don't know how to do it without a share quota setting.

Thanks

« Last Edit: December 09, 2013, 02:49:18 AM by lsmart »

Freccia

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2013, 05:57:09 PM »

[MySurveillance] ability to BACKUP to other locations instead of just within dns-327L volume, example USB drive on PC, Skydrive etc...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2013, 05:14:38 AM »

Feature: Auto-Refresh on uPnP Server
-------------------------------------
Navigation: Management (Tab) > Application Management > Multimedia Services > UPnP AV Server Settings

Notice that 'uPnP server' does not have auto-refresh option. As a result, new files added into shared folder cannot be seen until manual refresh i.e. Files added on Transmission folder do not appear on TV using UPnP network Protocol.

This is not convenient as user will need to ask administrator to login and do manual refresh on DLINK NAS.

*click on manual refresh on Volume 1 and 2 button on that same page.

Having said that, the 'iTune server" has the option (check-box) for auto-refresh content.

Please provide same functionality so that user does not need administrator to go and manually refresh the content to be visible.

Added to wishlist. . .  ;)

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2013, 05:14:55 AM »

[MySurveillance] ability to BACKUP to other locations instead of just within dns-327L volume, example USB drive on PC, Skydrive etc...

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2013, 05:18:10 AM »

Yes. That is correct and the access restrictions do work.
The goal however should be that when a user with restricted access logs into his share he shouldn't be able to move up in the directory tree and browse (view not enter) all the other users shares and also Volume_1.
If i am not wrong in windows systems this behavior can be controlled with the policy setting "bypass traverse checking".
There are other NAS brands that allow "advanced share privileges" as:
-disable directory browsing
-disable modification of existing files
-disable file downloading
but i am not sure if this is what we are looking for.

Just to be clear, are you saying that a user with privileges to access a specific shared directory can access their share as as starting point and navigate up the directory tree to access other directories for which he/she does not have privileges?

Another useful addition would be the possibility to set quotas for a shares.
I know we can set quotas for users and groups but if for instance i have a Public share with all accounts access rights and want to limit it's size i don't know how to do it without a share quota setting.

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2013, 05:18:29 AM »

DNS-327L Wishlist

• Account Management - Option to set Quotas for specific shared shared directories (rather than by user)
  • App - My Surveillance - Option to access app through mydlink
  • App - My Surveillance - Option to automatically use FTP to save Cloud camera video feeds as AVI/MP4 files accessible for copy/transfer
  • App - My Surveillance - Option to backup to external storage (e.g. USB) or remote storage (Cloud) locations
  • App - New App - Add app similar to pyLoad to download from Once Click host
  • UPnP - Auto-refresh option for UPnP server (to automatically discover newly added shared files)

• TBD
Pages: [1] 2 3 4