• April 24, 2024, 05:13:21 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 802.11G network, and its just not capable  (Read 3044 times)

d0rkiishchris

• Level 1 Member
802.11G network, and its just not capable
« on: August 24, 2009, 08:45:10 PM »

ok wierd problem.

Just before I begin, I wanna let responders know I'm cisco certified, so I know quite a bit about networking.  I may have gotten certified before wireless was apart of the test, but still lol.  Anyways I have a landlord that has a linksys 802.11n router.  Unfortunately its not in N mode.  Its stuck on the 20Mhz single band.  WEP encryption is turned on.  (can't have wep and 802.11n)  so the router is not transmitting or receiving in N.  Just with the evidence I looked over on the router page, theres no way it can be running 802.11N from what I know about "N".  I got the DWA-552 because I thought matching an N card to the router would be a good idea... so far I'm pissed that I payed extra for this thing. 

This thing has 3 antennas.  My laptop doesn't really have much of an antenna at all.  My laptop has some generic intel chipset wifi 802.11g adapter built in.  With my laptop I can achieve speeds from speedtest.net of about 11 Mbps down and 2 Up.  And to do the test I placed my laptop on the floor and further from the router  than my pc (which is located about 25 feet away through walls). 

When I run the test with this card on my pc.  (which by the way is a core 2 quad at 3.4 ghz, 4 gigs of ram... etc etc the pc is not the cause of a bottleneck)...anyways when I run the test on my pc with this card, I'm struggling to get 3 Mbps down, and 1.5 up.  So theres something obviously wrong.  Do 802.11n cards not run in G networks very well?  I payed a lot of money for this card, (while there were many cheaper options) and really all I payed for was a gimmic that can only be used if no other devices in the house are 802.11g or b.  And not many will be able to say that because lots of people have xbox 360s with G adapters, or ps3s. 

I was getting better speeds with laptop sharing its connection via ethernet.  And that says a lot. 

So long story short, if you don't want to read all that, when you have an "N" router running in G band mode, do N cards suffer?  Or can something be changed?   If not I'm going back to compusa, they are going to get this thing back, and I'll pick up some cheap 802.11G card.  (preferrably somthing with a wire to increase the antenna's location height)

**also:  I read about this everywhere, about how the adapter can report the speed its getting.  This was in the "acheiving 300 mbps" stick: 3) The channel width needs to be set to 20/40Auto, if it is not, the adapter will report a connection speed of 130Mbps.    What reports this speed, I didn't get any dlink program that will do this. 
« Last Edit: August 24, 2009, 08:50:14 PM by d0rkiishchris »