• April 19, 2024, 02:32:24 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: WMP 11 AS SERVER, AVI FILES ARE NOT RECOGNISED  (Read 3171 times)

zoulourichard

• Level 1 Member
WMP 11 AS SERVER, AVI FILES ARE NOT RECOGNISED
« on: August 14, 2008, 06:10:26 PM »

After i trown away my lynksys Router (for that bad upnp port fowarding ussies that was preventing the 510 to be seen by Vista) and bought a 2310 as my new router, i started to enjoy my 73 gigs for music, videos and pictures.

I'm puzzled cause, the only thing helping me to see files is Wmp11 (file sharing).. did not even started the Media Server 1.10 i had instaled and A AVI file cannot be readL format not supported it says..
The file proprety is saying about MPG 3 AND i think i was told it needed to be a mpg4 files..
Was also instructed to use Nero Recode to recode the film so i can watch it but can't seem to get my way around that Nero Recode.. How does it work?  Is there any filter (as i was also explained before i baught the product)??

Thanks!
Richard 

DigitalUser

• Level 2 Member
Re: WMP 11 AS SERVER, AVI FILES ARE NOT RECOGNISED
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:36:24 AM »

As a quick pointer, if you get "unsupported format" for avi files, you might have to look into the FourCC codes. Sometimes, people code the video files (avi container with MPEG4 Part 2 ASP video and MP3 sound) with codec codes and description that are "funny" to the DSM-510, e.g. DX50. Google FourCC and find an editor. You might have to change the code and description in your video files to "XVID" to make it work on the DSM-510. To me, recoding is a ball of wax, and with the lossy nature of digital compression, can only lead to quality loss. Good luck.