• April 19, 2024, 04:02:47 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Xbox 360 doesn't see DNS-323  (Read 13418 times)

fref

• Level 1 Member
Xbox 360 doesn't see DNS-323
« on: March 10, 2010, 07:47:37 PM »

I'm trying to setup my network so that I can use my Xbox 360 to play the videos I have stored on my DNS-323.  I've tried all sorts of things, but for some reason, my Xbox refuses to see my DNS-323.  I have the latest firmware installed on the NAS (v1.08), and I've enabled the uPNP feature, which is configured with the exact folder in which my videos are stored on the DNS-323.

Everything is wired with category 6 ethernet cables, no wireless connection is involved.  My Xbox is connected to a D-Link DGS-1008D gigabit switch in my basement, which is itself connected to a D-Link DIR-655 router upstairs (using latest firmware v1.33NA).  My DNS-323 is also connected to the DIR-655 router and so is my cable modem.  I don't think it's important, but just in case, I have a network laser printer connected to the switch and a desktop computer and all-in-one printer connected to the router.

My Xbox can access Xbox Live just fine so I know that the switch can talk to the router and to the modem just fine.  My desktop computer and laptop see the DNS-323 without any problem too, so everything is working fine except for the Xbox not seeing the DNS-323.

So, anyone has any idea what might be wrong with my setup?  Is there something I need to configure in the router so that the Xbox can get through to the NAS?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

mdntblu

• Level 1 Member
Re: Xbox 360 doesn't see DNS-323
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 08:07:35 PM »

Try putting just one file in the folder first and see what happens.  Usually when xbox doesn't see it there is a problem with the filenames.  It doesn't like weird characters.

DKrimgold

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 09:10:35 PM »

Had the same problem - try resetting the DNS 323 to factory defaults, and then re-enabling the UPNP. Worked for me, thankfully. Was the most frustrating thing ever before that...

fref

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:13 PM »

Thanks DKrimgold!  I finally had time to try resetting to factory defaults and configuring uPNP again, and it works!  I'm really happy to have solved this problem.  Thank you!

marknotmarc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 10:30:23 PM »

I just got my DNS 323 today with the specific intention of streaming.
I have applied patch 1.08 and files that worked with my previous Media Server to the XBOX stream fine. I have performed a factory reset and removed and readded the uPnP server, even trying setting its root at differing directory levels.

After a factory reset and a restart it started playing some files it previously said it could not, but stopped playing ones it could before.

I can add both the DNS and my other media box on the network at the same time, put the same file on both and have the XBOX play it with my other one and say the file is not supported with the DNS 323.

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 04:04:33 PM »

what kind of files are you playing ?
what is your other media box?
Remember that the DNS-323 does not transcode...

Also if the Filepath + filename are to long it will not play on the Xbox360
try keeping the total length to under 70 chars
Also try avoiding special characters... stick to _ - . and spaces

D-Link Multimedia

• Poweruser
  • Level 7 Member
    • D-link Systems, Inc.
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 04:39:28 PM »

I just got my DNS 323 today with the specific intention of streaming.
I have applied patch 1.08 and files that worked with my previous Media Server to the XBOX stream fine. I have performed a factory reset and removed and readded the uPnP server, even trying setting its root at differing directory levels.

After a factory reset and a restart it started playing some files it previously said it could not, but stopped playing ones it could before.

I can add both the DNS and my other media box on the network at the same time, put the same file on both and have the XBOX play it with my other one and say the file is not supported with the DNS 323.

After you select the directory and it scans, make sure you manually click the Refresh button on the UPNP AV server. The Xbox360 uses a different index list on the DNS-323 and sometimes has issues with updating automatically.

Noosa

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 02:33:08 PM »

After you select the directory and it scans, make sure you manually click the Refresh button on the UPNP AV server. The Xbox360 uses a different index list on the DNS-323 and sometimes has issues with updating automatically.

This did the trick...ty.

I ran a test between my 360 and NAS video library. This is what I found.

My video library contains about 160 movies, when trying to access the folder with those movies, the 360 would throw the message 'no videos found". I created a new folder, dropped in one movie and did a refresh on the NAS as recommended, 360 found the video.

So from there I started moving chunks of movies to the new folder, about 10 at a time, hitting refresh on the NAS, then checking the 360 to see if it updated. This was working, 360 was updating and movies where showing up. As I continued to move chunks, refreshing NAS and verifiying 360 was updating, I ran into the "no videos found" arounf the time the new folder had around 150 movies in it. It seems that the 360 has a timer on how long it will take to find the videos, about 5 seconds, and if it cannot populate the list within that time, it throws the message "no videos found". An interesting design by M$.

Anywho, the way I worked around this was to create folders, 0-9, A, B, C, etc and then putting the movies in the folders based on the name, so this reduced the list that 360 had to populate within the "5 seconds".

Sucks I had to do it this way, folders within folders ruins the flow of browsing my movies, but at least now the 360 can populate and show all my movies. Now what to do when folder A has more than 150 movies, idk..i'll cross that bridge when I get there.

Now, to get the 360 to actually play the movies is another story..bottom line, I hate M$ and the way they place limits on a product I paid for but at least I can see my movies now.

f0cus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2010, 03:36:41 AM »

After having my doubts I too have reset to factory defaults and now at least my xbox can see my NAS.  That at least is something.  However it can't see my content which I'm assuming is due to the library needing to be refreshed and here's my issue now.

It takes hours!  I've a modest MP3 collection, about 20GB, and a few years worth of digital photos and a handful of movies but should it really take 4+ hours to refresh?

The drives don't even appear to be very busy as I can hear the heads moving every few seconds or so.

Any help is appreciated!

(BTW I have 2 x 500GB Seagate HDD in RAID 1 only using 1/3 of the capacity)

Buhric

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2010, 04:42:46 AM »

did you clicked on the "refresh" button in the UPnP page of the DNS-323 ?
and are all you MP3s / pictures  in the same folder... or grouped in folders. ?

f0cus

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2010, 04:47:52 AM »

They're grouped in folders mostly (typical itunes style for music)

It's still refreshing!!

marknotmarc

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »

I solved my issue. After factory resetting and refreshing the media and winding up with different files that played each time I returned the device and bought a Synology DS210J.

The thing is wicked. Easy to use interface with AJAX. Streams to the xbox no prob. Has a built in web server and streams you audio to any browser on the planet.  RAID set up is a snap. Has a photo server, itunes server, php server, and a web based file server as well as FTP.

Had it for a few months now.

Cost me $60 more, but well worth it.