• March 29, 2024, 02:36:31 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Antenna?  (Read 32383 times)

drfeelgood824

Antenna?
« on: December 05, 2008, 10:22:56 AM »

Recently, I purchased and returned a TRENDNET TEW-672GR, which has similar capabilities to the DIR-825. However, thumbing through the forums, its seems that the problems regarding signal connectivity are ubiquitous.

I haven't received my router yet, but from pictures of the unit, the antennas look as if they can be swapped for a larger models? The ANT24-0230, is not applicable in this case (clearly designated for 802.11n), but what about the ANT24-0700? Are there major differences between a 802.11b/g antenna versus a 802.11n?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
Re: Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2008, 01:11:08 PM »

There is not a difference between individual antennas for draft 802.11n and IEEE802.11b/g.

You just need to make sure that whatever antennas you use are rated for your frequency (2.4Ghz [IEEE802.11b/g or draft N 2.4 Ghz] or 5 Ghz [IEEE802.11a or draft N 5 Ghz]).

That said draft n makes use of constructive interference to increase performance, which means that it will only work optimally with the right number of matched antennas in the correct array formation.
non progredi est regredi

drfeelgood824

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2008, 07:59:24 PM »

So with all that said, does D-link have larger readily available antennas for the DIR-825?

Fatman

• Level 9 Member
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 08:25:03 AM »

No
non progredi est regredi

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 09:33:46 AM »

Since this thread is almost a year old I figured I'd check if anything has changed.  Has anyone found antennas for the DIR-825 that extend the range? 
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

gotapex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:53:31 PM »

I found this to work pretty well in my situation:

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21679

It's boosted the signal by several bars at the farthest reaches of my house.  Overall, I'm reasonably happy.

I started out with the DIR-825a1, then bought a Netgear WNDR3700, which was noticably superior to the Dlink, especially at a good distance.

I picked up a DIR-825b1 and found the signal to be a tad bit weaker than the Netgear at most far locations, though definitely better than the a1.  These antennas bumped the b1 up past the Netgear for both the 2.4 and 5ghz.  I think I'm done swapping around for now.  :)

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 06:03:13 PM »

Thanks gotapex for the information...

I just was going to ask if anyone had found any antennas for the DIR-825 that could extend the range?

Are theses HyperGain Model HG2458-5RD antennas the same model as the following one that I found at amazon.com.?:

http://www.amazon.com/HyperLink-Rubber-Duck-Antennas-5-8GHz/dp/B000OQTQ46/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1259713158&sr=8-1-fkmr1

BTW, what was the range differences before and after you installed these two new antennas.?
What max extended range could be posible to get.? 

Thanks for help.!!

gotapex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2009, 01:45:18 AM »

Those are definitely different.  The ones I got are flat.  I believe the one you posted has a 3dB gain from 2.4-2.5Ghz, 4.9-5.3Ghz, and 5.7-5.8Ghz.

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=22372

The one I posted is 3dB in the 2.4-2.5Ghz range, and 5dB in the 5.1-5.9Ghz range.

I'm honestly not sure of the maximum range.  I think it really varies depending on what kind of conditions you have (number of walls, construction of walls, height of router, etc).  This being said, the difference was quite substantial in my setup.

For what it's worth, I believe the stock antennas are the typical 2.0-2.2dB gain units.  Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2009, 09:49:15 AM »

Thanks again gotapex for your detailled information...

I need two (2) antennas for my D-Link DIR-825 Dual Band Router, so I would like to know if the US$$16.99 price, is for only one or two flat antennas.?

http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21679

L-com Item # HG2458-5RD-RSP
Manufacturer: Hyperlink Technologies
Mfg.'s Item # HG2458-5RD-RSP

------------------------------------
I just receive a note from l-com with the following info:

Thank you for your email. You ordered 1 pack which includes 2 antennas. One is for 2.4-2.5 GHz and the other is for 5.1-5.8 GHz range.

Since they have different range, I would like to know if donīt matter where you connect each one in the DIR825 router.?

gotapex, How you connected the 2 antennas in your DIR825.?

Thanks for help!!
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 03:04:29 PM by UlisesRodriguez »

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 10:58:09 AM »

gotapex I decided to get two antennas as you already did it with your DIR-825 to expan the working range...

However, I am a worried because L-Com had mentioned that one of the two antennas is for 2.4-2.5 GHz and the other is for 5.1-5.8 GHz range...Since the D-Link DIR825 only use two antennas (same type for the right and left), I would like to know if it does not matter where connect the flat antennas in the DIR-825 Router, even through they are of different type/range.?

Thanks for help.!!

gotapex

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 02:29:54 PM »

Hmm, I think you may have gotten the wrong information from that rep.  It's a dual-band antenna, not two separate single band antennas.  And unfortunately, they're 1 per package.

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »

Hi again gotapex,

You mentioned that the antennas from L-com are Dual-Band and that they're 1 per package.?

The following are the 2 Email that Dameuris Pichardo from L-com sent me before I place my order:

---------------------------------

Ulises,

Thank you for your e-mail.

Part number HG2458-5RD-RSP (http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21679) does not appear to be the same as part number listed on Amazon which is HG2458RD-RSP  (http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=22372).

The first part number brings two antennas, and the second item does not.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

Ms. Dameuris Pichardo

Hi Ulises,

Thank you for your email. You ordered 1 pack which includes 2 antennas. One is for 2.4-2.5 GHz and the other is for 5.1-5.8 GHz range.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Best Regards,

Ms. Dameuris Pichardo

So, I am a little confused because the product have the same part no. HG2458-5RD-RSP (http://www.l-com.com/item.aspx?id=21679), as the one that you ordered, and they confirmed that they come in 1 pack which includes 2 antennas...

http://www.l-com.com/search.aspx?q=%27HG2458-5RD-RSP%27&join=All

I will wait for my order to arrive monday and will let you know...

Thanks for all your help.!!

Ulises

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 01:26:43 PM »

first off thanks for all the good info.  I went to order the flat antennas just now and the website will not let me.  It fails when I try to see my cart or continue :(  I'll have to call on monday I guess.  I'm still a little confused, do you get one flat antenna or two for the 17 USD?
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com

UlisesRodriguez

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 03:12:18 PM »

gotapex got from L-com the same product that I had order (part no. HG2458-5RD-RSP), But curiously he mentioned that he received only 1 antenna per Package:

Hmm, I think you may have gotten the wrong information from that rep.  It's a dual-band antenna, not two separate single band antennas.  And unfortunately, they're 1 per package.

--------------------------------------------

However, as I already mentioned, I got 2 Email from L-com/Dameuris-Pichardo where she clearly say that I ordered 1 pack which includes 2 antennas.

I am not sure if I will get one or two flat antennas for the 17 USD... So, I am desperately waiting for my order to arrive on Monday to solve the mistery...

I will let you know if I receive one or two antennas.

Ulises

Peaty

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 04:03:19 PM »

Because of the issues with the website I had I'll be calling them on the phone so I will ask them too if it's one or two antennas. 
Cheers,

Peaty

cheeze@sunflower.com
Pages: [1] 2 3