• April 17, 2024, 07:29:38 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wireless through 5 floors?!  (Read 2908 times)

ozmojo1

Wireless through 5 floors?!
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:13:12 PM »

I am experiencing some 'disturbances' in my garage five floors below me. I bought a D-link wireless camera and use a Netgear n300 extender on the balcony in hopes of catching on camera what is going on. However, due to the distance, the 2.4ghz, or both, the camera is not transmitting effectively. Can anyone recommend a solution?  I'm willing to add hardware or change pieces of the current setup. Could it be as easy as adding another repeater down near the camera? Any help is very appreciated! My car needs protection!

Hard Harry

Re: Wireless through 5 floors?!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 08:02:45 PM »

I am experiencing some 'disturbances' in my garage five floors below me. I bought a D-link wireless camera and use a Netgear n300 extender on the balcony in hopes of catching on camera what is going on. However, due to the distance, the 2.4ghz, or both, the camera is not transmitting effectively. Can anyone recommend a solution?  I'm willing to add hardware or change pieces of the current setup. Could it be as easy as adding another repeater down near the camera? Any help is very appreciated! My car needs protection!

Can you run ethernet from your floor to the garage? Setting up a 2nd wireless repeater would be tricky. You would be better off with just a stronger repeater.

Also, what is your main router and how do you have it configured? A wireless repeater can only repeat what it gets, so if the signal from the router isn't very good, the repeated signal won't be good either. Also, when using a repeater, your twice as ****e to wireless interference from other networks around you.

ozmojo1

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2016, 04:14:41 PM »

Thanks for the reply!

A wire directly would certainly fix the problem, but unfortunately is not an option.

I am not sure how my router is configured. My pc that is connected wireless downloads at a high? speed so I assume its okay.  I live in a city and there are many other wireless networks around.  It's my understanding a dual band system would be better for this, but i am having a hard time finding a 5ghz capabale camera.

Hard Harry

« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016, 05:13:35 PM »

A wire directly would certainly fix the problem, but unfortunately is not an option.

What about MoCA or Powerline? Do you have ANY wires that are shared between the 5th floor and 1st floor?

I am not sure how my router is configured.

Do you atleast know what your other router is?

I live in a city and there are many other wireless networks around.  It's my understanding a dual band system would be better for this, but i am having a hard time finding a 5ghz capabale camera.

Unfortunately I can't comment on how to change your network to be better if you aren't sure how your network is set up now. Who orginally set it up for you? Ask them to do it? When dealing with wireless and repeaters, there is no easy answer. Signal strength, interference, physical obstructions, different channels and bands. Overall a 5Ghz would probably not help. 5Ghz usally has less range and wall penetration but faster throughput. You would be better off with Wifi AC. But like I said, can't say for sure without knowing more.

ozmojo1

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2016, 05:50:57 AM »

I am not the owner of the building. Just a tenant. So, I do not have any access to existing lines or have permission to run new ones.
My router is a Buffalo WHR-300HP2/N.  Just a simple setup for my wife and I's laptops to run wireless.  Nothing special.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2016, 07:17:02 AM »

Any status on this?  ???
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.