• March 28, 2024, 02:43:10 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Can't update firmware  (Read 5529 times)

jerrylking

• Level 1 Member
Can't update firmware
« on: November 12, 2011, 01:22:08 PM »

>:
I have a DIR-615 router, hardware rev. C1 running firmware v. 3.10, dated 4/17/09.  I've been beating my head against the wall trying to get this router to properly forward ports for a bit torrent application, but it not only won't do that, it doesn't want to save DHCP reservations and it doesn't want to recognize my computer on the LAN if I set a static IP address (although it does allow my computer to connect and get an internet connection).  From the D-Link website, the description of firmware update 3.12NA looks like it might take care of these problems, but I can't get the router to update.  When I log into the router and check for updates, it returns a message saying the latest update is v. 3.11, dated 9/15/09.  However, when I attempt to download the update, nothing happens.  The D-Link website offers update 3.11NA (4/20/09), 3.12NA (3/8/10), and 3.13NA (9/30/10).  Why does the website offer me a different update than the router itself?  I downloaded 3.13NA and unzipped the folder, which has a text file and a .bin file; I presume the latter is the update.  However, when I browse to this file and attempt to upload it to the router, nothing happens.  How the heck do I update this router?

Hard Harry

Re: Can't update firmware
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2011, 02:20:11 PM »

What browser are you using? Also, be sure to use a wired connection to do the firmware update.

jerrylking

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2011, 03:49:09 PM »

I was using Chrome to access the router.  I know to use a wired connection when updating.

jerrylking

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2011, 06:31:24 PM »

Harry, your question about what browser I'm using got me to thinking about Chrome's pop-up blocker.  I tried again with pop-ups enabled, and now the router responds.  However, I have a question--the latest firmware update listed on the D-Link website is 3.13NA, but the router says the latest update is 3.11.  Is there any reason not to upload the latest version listed on the D-Link website?

Hard Harry

« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 10:38:23 PM »

Yea, I was thinking it was something browser related. Also, sometimes chrome has issues with the FTP transfer required for the firmware download if done from the router.

Anyway, back to your question, yes. Usually the router only suggest the last large firmware update. Also, 3.10 has special instructions:

"Note: This firmware does not allow downgrading to pre-3.1x. Please save your configuration file before the upgrade. After the upgrade, please reset to factory default, then upload the configuration file image."

Thats probably the reason. But to be 100% honest, I don't know. I do know its like that across the entire D-link brand.

jerrylking

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2011, 07:25:13 AM »

OK, I successfully updated to the latest firmware, but that didn't solve my problems.  I'll start a new post for that.