• April 23, 2024, 05:44:24 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: 1.21NA working fine except for one thing...  (Read 6744 times)

Gryphon22

• Level 1 Member
1.21NA working fine except for one thing...
« on: October 17, 2009, 02:38:13 PM »

Alright, so as the subject says I am having only one problem. I am not even sure it is related to the 1.21NA firmware update which seems to be working fine for me. I have two computers, a PC and a laptop, and my Xbox 360 hardwired to the router. I have not had to reset/reboot my router at all since I bought it back in early 2008, except for when I updated the firmware and changed the settings in the router. The only problem I am having is related to my Xbox 360. Actually it is exclusively with Halo 3 and ODST. Every game I play on my 360 over XBL has no problems with online play, except for these two titles.

Now, when I am playing these games it will be going perfectly fine. No lag at all. Then all of the sudden I will lose connection. I look at my router and it hasn't reset or rebooted. I look at my modem, which is a Motorola SB5100, and the send light is blinking. It is always solid when everything is working fine. So I have to reset my modem, but not the router oddly enough.

So I guess my question is, what in the world is happening? Is this an issue with my DGL-4500 or my Motorola SB5100?

Router settings: WISH turned off. Wireless set to N/G, WPA2, AES cipher. Dynamic Fragmentation is turned off. Gamefuel is on with rules for WoW and 360. Ports are forwarded for WoW and 360. SPI is off. NAT is set to Endpoint Independent for both TCP and UDP. All ALG's are off. I have the PC, Laptop, and 360 with DHCP Reservations. UPnP is off. WAN Ping is off. WAN Port Speed is Auto 10/100/1000Mbps. I have Special Applications set for WoW and XBL.

I don't know what else to list for the router. That is everything I can think of that would be relevant to possibly creating the issue at hand if it is related to the router at all. Does anyone have any idea what could possibly creating this issue?

bob_channel

• Level 1 Member
Re: 1.21NA working fine except for one thing...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2009, 02:55:23 PM »

well then its ur modem it is about time for a new one because over time the modem will start to decrease signal wat u should do first is call ur ISP and ask them if there is a problem between u and them if there is then u should check ur cable connetion u should have a splitter then ur cable modem and then ur tv but if u have more than one tv then u should have a splitter then ur cable modem and another splitter then ur tv's but like i said try replaceing it with a new modem
Cable:150mb/20Mb>

Motorola SB6182>>>>>DIR-890L>>>>>|TP-Link 5 port unmanaged
                                                 |
                                                 |xbox 360
                                                 |xbox 1

Legionx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2009, 03:16:12 PM »

Well i would gather some information first before phoning your ISP. Simply find the IP address of the servers you play on that are lagging for you. Do a tracert to that server on your computer it will clearly indicate which hop is your weakest point and were the issue is occurring. I would do that a few times see if the problem occurs again and again then phone your ISP.

Gryphon22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2009, 07:39:46 AM »

Well, since this is the Xbox 360 I would assume I am connecting to whoever happens to be designated as the host for that game. It can literally be anyone in the room, and it does not designate who the host is. In ODST if the host of the game disconnects then everyone will disconnect from that game. In Halo 3 if the host happens to disconnect it will pass host to someone else in the room(most of the time, it is still a bit buggy about that).

You can't run a tracer to a server on the 360. That's impossible. It does not give you the functionality for such a thing. So, I can contact my ISP(Comcast) and have them test my connection on their end. I doubt they are going to find anything wrong.

As I had said, this *only* happens with Halo 3 and ODST. I can play other 360 games(e.g: Gears of War 2, Halo Wars, Forza 2, etc.) for hours and have no interruption. I am wondering if this issue is being caused by the router possibly dropping too many packets, though it is odd that something like that would end up killing my whole network until I reset the modem.

bob_channel

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2009, 08:29:06 AM »

well ok like i said all motorola's give out over time im on my 3rd one i have COX and i have had internet for about 9 yrs since my mom started skool but try and see if a new modem works because its the first thing to bring internet into the home or building u might have to call Comcast so they know u got a new serial number but try it and see what happens because if the sending light goes out it would have to be between the modem and the outside
Cable:150mb/20Mb>

Motorola SB6182>>>>>DIR-890L>>>>>|TP-Link 5 port unmanaged
                                                 |
                                                 |xbox 360
                                                 |xbox 1

Legionx

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2009, 12:34:47 PM »

Well, since this is the Xbox 360 I would assume I am connecting to whoever happens to be designated as the host for that game. It can literally be anyone in the room, and it does not designate who the host is. In ODST if the host of the game disconnects then everyone will disconnect from that game. In Halo 3 if the host happens to disconnect it will pass host to someone else in the room(most of the time, it is still a bit buggy about that).

You can't run a tracer to a server on the 360. That's impossible. It does not give you the functionality for such a thing. So, I can contact my ISP(Comcast) and have them test my connection on their end. I doubt they are going to find anything wrong.

As I had said, this *only* happens with Halo 3 and ODST. I can play other 360 games(e.g: Gears of War 2, Halo Wars, Forza 2, etc.) for hours and have no interruption. I am wondering if this issue is being caused by the router possibly dropping too many packets, though it is odd that something like that would end up killing my whole network until I reset the modem.

Yea sorry about that was actually thinking that the servers them self were actually computers not xbox 360's lol. I would check the logs of the router when you play the game along with the packets dropped etc. If you see a lot of errors when you play the game or a lot of blocked packets then that can indicate that the router is causing the problem. The modem is working else nothing else would work for you because like you said it only happens with those two games if the modem was bad it would happen with everything. So to me the problem is either settings with the router or settings on the Xbox 360  i don't really own one so I'm not sure what network settings are on the 360.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 03:19:44 PM by Legionx »

Gryphon22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 01:24:55 PM »

Okay, I will check the logs on my router and see what is going on. Hopefully they will be able to shed some light on the situation. If it does turn out that it is the router causing the problem I will have to mess around with the settings even more than I already have. Joy... lol.

Gryphon22

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 01:28:57 PM »

Okay, just took a look at my logs. All I can say is "Oh my." This thing is blocking packets like crazy. So now I have another question. How do I go about unblocking these packets? Do I have to put in the individual IP addresses and ports they are coming from in the Gaming Rules(Port Forwarding)? If so I am going to be putting in addresses for quite a while.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 02:01:15 PM »

Please post a section of your log showing the blocked packets.

WEAZ1

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2009, 02:43:17 PM »

Make sure your 360 is in a DMZ or has a open NAT.....

http://www.bungie.net/Forums/posts.aspx?postID=12858741