• April 24, 2024, 07:47:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Repackage old firmware??  (Read 10090 times)

323Ci

• Level 1 Member
Repackage old firmware??
« on: September 17, 2009, 01:32:35 PM »

I don't understand why it isn't possible for them to repackage the 1.15 firmware and just call it 1.22? My router ran perfectly on 1.15 but i upgraded to 1.21NA like a dumbass because I wanted to try the share-port utility for mac. That seems like it would be a much more simple fix in the mean time as opposed to attempting to create all new firmware...

philwoz98

• Level 2 Member
Re: Repackage old firmware??
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 03:46:38 PM »

Yeah I have been wondering the same thing. I would love to hear a moderator adress this issue. Although I am ignorent on the subject I can't imagine a downgrade process to be that hard. I am surprised some one hasn't came up with there own custom firmware, or downgrade process.

EJeanmaire

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2009, 05:39:33 AM »

Yeah I have been wondering the same thing. I would love to hear a moderator adress this issue. Although I am ignorent on the subject I can't imagine a downgrade process to be that hard. I am surprised some one hasn't came up with there own custom firmware, or downgrade process.

This Router has closed-source drivers, hence the lack of "custom firmware".

smiley3303

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »

What would happen if I tried to go back to firmware version 1.2??? Would it just not allow it or would it brick it??? I just want to know without trying it first.

philwoz98

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2009, 09:30:50 AM »

Still no mod addressing this problem.....

arrow85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2009, 02:44:10 PM »

just cause it is closed source means nothing. It just means dlink needs to release an update that will let you roll back if you wish. This is your router for heaven sake if you want to go back to what ever version you should be able too. The whole no going back ideas was to push people onto the 1.2x platform and keep them there. The thought about it was probably that it was superior to the previous builds. There were security fixed that compiled into 1.2x they did not want people going back to a vularnable router. This is all well and fine when the new code works as good or better than previous builds. This is well just not the case which is very sad. I wonder how much testing this code went through before release. I swear it feels like they fixed the compile errors and out the door it went. There are to many quirks like the whole safari not letting me log in or the fact that the router reboots or slows down.

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2009, 06:29:41 PM »

This is the only deviced I've ever owned that did not allow you to flash to an older fw version. ???

arrow85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2009, 09:34:14 PM »

i agree and it was a deliberate choice to block this. Why i have touched on does it make good and sane logical sense well no.

d01100100

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2009, 11:52:09 PM »

dgl-4500 has been out for a while.  Lack of response says the company is turtling and hoping people go away.  Their dev cost to fix this is probably higher than the number of routers out there, and it's not worth their time to fix it at this point.  It doesn't appear that they can't fix it easily.  In fact their easy fixes appear to have made issues worse, complicating and compounding the various issues to the point where the cost to repair is greater than the cost to retain.  Since the DGL appears to be a niche market when you compare the overall numbers, and due to the tightened of resources in the down economy some executive probably saw the bottom line and said kill it.

My 1.21 has been getting progressively worse to the point where copying a 300mb file from 1 PC to another on the lan takes 25 minutes.  This is the official supported firmware, and it's broken.  At this point I've been reading closely the various reviews for other router vendors, doing my homework and replacing it.

arrow85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »

i just put in a wnr 3700 from netgear and color me impressed. It is what i thought the DGL was going to be. I have full 300mbs to my new macbook. I have full gigabit connections to each machine. The real kicker i can download like 1.1 megabytes from comcast copy 10 gig files and stream music to my airport express and the router does not slow down or drop the ball. I am impressed for the price i should be. Come to think about it i payed about the same for the DGL what a shame. The netgear is killer.

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2009, 03:07:51 PM »

Well I can actually move large files across my lan with good speed.  I've not benched it so I cannot tell you the rate.  I'm glad to hear that the netgear is performing well for those who have it.  I'll look hard at it when the time comes to replace my a2.  D-link doesn't have to worry about any repeat business from me after this mess.

RedSpeed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2009, 04:21:01 PM »

Well the only problem is that there is no other router like it. The gamefuel helps us gamers get better pings. If there is somthing comparable I would like to know so I can get one. But as it sits there is nothing out there.

arrow85

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2009, 08:57:52 AM »

the gamefuel lower ping is true but the netgear does this with QOS. The netgear has as fast a cpu as the dgl i think you will notice good pings with it. I moved to it and suddenly my gaming is better with out the dgl slowing me down on the wan side.

RedSpeed

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2009, 12:29:22 PM »

I do not think I can get any better on my internet. With that said the gamefuel prioritizes what go's first, so if my wife is surfing the internet and I am gaming it will put my info in line first and hers secend. Therefore lowering my ping. Only when there is a high damand for bandwidth.