• April 26, 2024, 01:52:14 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Network Speeds Slowed to Crawling speeds - Comcast Says its the Router  (Read 5656 times)

quintak

• Level 1 Member

I am currently having some issues with my internet connection and Comcast is telling me its my Router.  Have had this router for over a year without any problems and now all of a sudden the past week the evenings are terrible.  Sometimes resetting modem or having Comcast reset clears it up and sometimes it does nothing.  Tried resetting router too, but that doesn't always help. 

Is there any tests/tools that can be used to find out if its the modem or the router that maybe the issue.  Just want to rule out one or the other.  Praying its the modem (can get replaced) and not the router (expensive little gadget). 

Equipment:

Comcast Modem
DGL-4500 Router (Version 1.15 A1)

If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Syaoran

• Level 3 Member
Re: Network Speeds Slowed to Crawling speeds - Comcast Says its the Router
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:28:13 PM »

Take the router out of the equation and run your PC straight off of the modem.  If you don't have any issues, it's pretty much a given it's the router. 

nhiverson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:42 PM »

I also have comcast and i connection interrupt in call of duty 4 alot and it just recently started bout 7-8 weeks ago no problem before with the dgl-4500 im at firmware 1.15 but i replaced modems from comcast and its still happening. I guess i gotta try without the router. Just would hate it to be the router since i got it for $150

quintak

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2009, 06:12:05 AM »

Thanks for the replies.  Looks like its the Router.  Why do products fail right after their warranty dates?  Sigh...

gasman442

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2009, 08:41:52 PM »

I also have comcast and have had similar problems. It seems right around night time, web browsing comes to a crawl and the only thing you can do is reset the modem to fix it. It lasted quite a while with the latest firmware but the problem came back. Can't deal with it anymore and had to revert back to my linksys!

JGKos

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2009, 12:16:16 PM »

I do agree, I have Comcast as well and experienced the same issue.  Internet speeds fall to a crawl, and only a router reset fixes it.  But it seems to return after a period of time.

A1 version, 1.15 firmware.

THANKS TO THE POSTS HERE, I did not try a firmware upgrade first thing to correct this.  So at least my hell is not as bad as those on 1.20

Puffnstuff

• Level 3 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2009, 12:59:45 PM »

Have you checked your modems status page to see what it's set at?  I'm on comcast and I had to install a broadband drop amp to get my signal up to acceptable levels.  As long as my signal strength was low I had internet problems.

WannaRip2278

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2009, 09:32:05 AM »

I just had similar issues with severe lag and it was so bad that when I entered a game my modem would lose all connections.  All lights on surboard modem would go out and just the recieve light would flash which you know should be solid.  Strange as soon as I exit the game the modem came back online.  I called sony and electronic arts and they said perhaps its a bandwidth issue (It was not)  I called comcast they brought out two modems hooked them up and still same issues.  They tested everything.  We checked DL speed its 30mbps.  So we then bypassed the router removed it from the equation and all connections worked perfect. I was now able to access the games with no issues.  So I reinstalled firmware on DGL4500 and restored factory settings.  Now I can access the games but the lag is so severe I can barely even move at times...it makes you dizzy.  It gets to the point where it is completely inoperable.  Nothing can be done.  So now I removed DGL4500 and installed old DLink di524 and all issues are gone :(  p.s. I have dgl4500 va1 fw1.21na

nhiverson

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 05:59:59 PM »

Okay im gonna get a different router would the Linksys WRT54G2 router be a good choice to replace this one?