• March 28, 2024, 03:21:04 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Wired Connection Issue  (Read 2446 times)

Coop

• Level 1 Member
Wired Connection Issue
« on: April 19, 2011, 05:11:24 PM »

Hi,

I am having a connection issue with all of my wired computers / PS3, everything works flawlessly wireless.

When hooked up wired to my router (DGL-4500) the connection drops and re-connects every few minutes although it is only really connected for a minute or so even though it says there's a connection w/ internet connectivity it wont connect to any network devices or the internet for more than a minute or two, this happens with both of my computers and my PS3 which are directly connected to the router.

After this initially happened I rebooted the router, this seemed to work for about a half hour but the symptoms continued.  Than I upgraded to the latest beta 1.23na (after backing up my settings and restoring them), I was using 1.22na for months with no problem but thought it would help, however this did not help either.  Any suggestions at all?

Thanks for the help.

Hard Harry

Re: Wired Connection Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 06:32:11 PM »

Hmm, a few possibilities come to mind, but they are all rather unlikely. 1, there could be some type of electrical feedback or ingress on the Ethernet ports for the LAN. Maybe your using shielded Ethernet and the connection points at the ports are transferring that current picked up by that shield. Or maybe you have a bad power supply and its running current through the Ethernet from one of the PC's into the router. It could also be some intermittent connection issue that isn't effecting the wireless, since its designed to deal with temporary lapses in connection? That wouldn't explain why it would need a reboot after though. The only other thing I could figure is maybe the wireless is a false positive? Maybe your connecting to someone elses wireless so your not experiencing the symptoms? Either way, we need more data to be sure. Try this:

1. When the wired goes down, make sure your online (try multiple sites) and offline on all wired.
2. Turn off the wired connections one by one, checking a wired connection as you shut each other wired connection down.
3. If all are still down, disco all wired from router ports. Power cycle just the router. (With the router off, make sure all your wireless is offline, this will confirm your wireless connection is to your router)
4. Plug in one ethernet at a time and make sure online. Try to wait as long as possible, depending on the time you have to work on.
5. If it still happens. Try to check the router logs, see if it gives any error which might tell us the cause.

Coop

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 06:57:04 PM »

Thanks for the reply  :)

I had already tried steps 1 & 2 with no luck so i jumped right up to step 3.  I disconnected all my wired connections and reconnected my connections 1 by 1 starting with my desktop in the office and ended up with the same problem, I then disconnected it and connected my media center with no problems and connected my ps3 with no problems as well (after almost 1 hour).  It appears that my newest pc connection seems to be the problem, although it seems strange that it would become a problem after such a long time (about a month).  any idea what the problem would be? cable perhaps? or something else?

Thanks again.

xco

• Level 1 Member
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2011, 08:30:10 PM »

your problem is quite strange.

Im going to first state the obvious....try diagnosing for connection problems although it probably wont find anything since you said connect /internet

If you suspect its your new PC then perhaps it has something to do with your network card. Find out what card your using and update its driver.

Moreover to verify it is indeed your new PC perhaps connect it directly to your modem via Ethernet cable and see how that goes. BEST OF LUCK!