• April 27, 2024, 04:17:42 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Is the wireless signal a joke?  (Read 8369 times)

RamGuy

• Level 2 Member
Is the wireless signal a joke?
« on: June 11, 2008, 02:30:08 AM »

I've tried about everything now.. All different firmwares, all kinds of settings etc.

But still our Wireless signal is really poor compared with our old Linksys WRT54Gv5 router, yeah that's right! Worse than the WRT54Gv5? How on earth is that possible?

My mom sit with her laptop in the living room about 10-15meters away, it's on the same floor and she got a "low" signal and ping's out every now and then. And as she got a virtual connection through her laptop to her job even the slightest ping out makes her disconnect.

My stepfather also got much poorer signal strength now than with our old WRT54Gv5, he is also pining out every now and then.

So the signal strength is the DGL-4500 seems to have a range that is about 50% less than the WRT54Gv5?
How on earth is that possible? Shouldn't people be able to have a decent signal when they are sitting 10-15meters away? Even the cheapest router manages that these days.

RamGuy

• Level 2 Member
Re: Is the wireless signal a joke?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:51:55 AM »

More issues to be reported..

The SSID broadcasting seems to disappear after a while, and the only way to get it back is to restart the router. A really annoying and darn critical issue, I could have lived with it if it happened like one time a week, but the router seems to drop the broadcasting within a matter of hours, it's not even lasting a whole day before the SSID is completely gone from over WiFi list.

And that's not all, when I rebooted the router my mom wasn't able to connect to it afterwards. It just kept trying to make a connection, and after like 1-2min it just gave up and she couldn't get connected at all?

mjoyce91

« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008, 06:03:52 PM »

That's weird, mine is like totally opposite. Not trying to rub it in your face, but I've got the router on the second floor, and it's connecting to the laptop in the basement at 93%-100%. Have you called d-link tech support?

RamGuy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 01:57:56 PM »

We solved the issue with my mom's horrible singal strength with just connecting our old WRT54Gv5 (running DD-WRT) onto the DGL-4500 and running wireless on the WRT54Gv5 and let the DGL-4500 handle the DHCP etc..

But now I just got myself a MSI Wind Notebook, and I want to connect directly too the DGL-4500, and I also got this "DWA-160" USB-adapter to get full Draft-N support from the DGL-4500, it even supports 5.0GHz?

But what happens?
It works flawlessly for about 8hours, then the entire SID disappear??

I  check the router settings, everything seems the same.
I try to reboot it through the web-interface, I try to powercycle it, but it's gone?

When I check the LED-screen display it claims to be working, but on the web-interface I get this " Wireless Radio :  Init failed  " ??

After what I've been reading on the web regarding other D-Link routers having this problem a powercycle should fix it, but not for me?

I've tried both the 1.03BETA firmware, and the latest 1.12 firmware?

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2008, 11:23:02 AM »

If you have wireless init fail you need an RMA.
Please contact support and explain the situation and request an RMA.

RamGuy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2008, 05:33:02 AM »

Blah, I live in Norway so I bet that wont be cheap, not to mention it would take ages to get it over the Atlantic?

Would be like:

Shipping (costing alot) -- 1.5weeks over the Atlantic (if lucky) -- testing for at least 1week -- back over the Atlantic, taking at least 1.5weeks?

And if I'm really lucky I bet the Norwegian government charge me for 25% of the DGL-4500 price as a fee for getting it back into the country, even when it is an replacement (nothing shocks me about our tolling fees any more)

Isn't it possible to get it check at D-Link Norway (Norge) or something?
Would be a loot easier, not too mention faster?

I mean, your like one huge company right?
You sure have some sort of communications with each other?
Shouldn't be that hard telling D-Link Norway to test the DGL-4500, and if they find it to be defect they could give you a note about it?

It's like when I bought a Dell Laptop in the states, and when I got problems with it I just delivered it to Dell Norway, and within 7days I've got it back fixed?

Isn't it kinda odd that the wireless radio: init failed is popping out of nowhere?

Haven't seen that issue at all until now, and if I remember right it was right after updating to 1.12?

I've had lots of network equipment over the years, but it's very unlikely that thing just fail without any reason at all?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2008, 05:40:37 AM by RamGuy »

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2008, 08:42:29 AM »

If you're in Norway, then yes. I couldn't even get you an RMA via US if I wanted. You'll have to RMA that unit with your closest D-Link support branch.
As for init fail, usually means the unit has lost contact with the wireless radio.
Have you tried reflashiing?

RamGuy

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2008, 10:58:28 AM »

I tried lots of stuff today, taking the antennas off, complete power cycle, resetting, reflashing firmware 1.12.

But nothing seems to be working, so you say that I am supposed to send it to D-Link Norway in the first place? Even when it's bought in the states?

gshaghoian

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 11:16:25 AM »

If you're not in the US an RMA is not possible, even if you purchased it in the US.

But from what you've described, it's obviously defective.

Since you're not in the US, and you have a US product, you're out of luck.

I'd recommend purchasing a new wireless router.

Lycan

• Administrator
  • Level 15 Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2008, 11:27:23 AM »

If you know someone in the states, you can PROXY the RMA through them.