• April 26, 2024, 05:45:39 AM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trying to optimize my multiple connection types....  (Read 13862 times)

NKYadav

• Level 2 Member
Re: Trying to optimize my multiple connection types....
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 01:36:19 PM »

Yeah, that is my issue - I didn't see anything either.

Kamikazi2142

• Level 2 Member
  • Games, nothing else worth while, watch your SIX!
    • Arch Angels Headquarters
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2010, 08:40:04 AM »

back in the day i set up all my... (back in the day is 2 years ago)... i set up all my routers to a chain as follows...

DGL-4500 --> DIR-625 --> WBR-2310 --> some dumb belkin thing

That was a perfect setup forever, until i moved, the DIR-625 took a dump, stopped working entirely and i cannot remember where it is, or if i even threw it out.  The Belkin thing i gave away, and now i have just the two, DGL-4500 and the WBR-2310, i haven't hooked them together directly yet, but i never have any problems doing so.

The solution for your dual router one sebnet might be simple, partition the third octet to be identical, and then split the fourth octet so that Half A belongs to Router A, and Half B belongs to Router B.  I would try it for you but, you have way more devices than i do, and obviously you have the smarts for it too, lol, mister degree!

Instead of MAC address filtering, which runs your router harder, try leaving it unfiltered and just make your SSID's invisible, works like a charm for me, i NEVER have any hitchhikers on my router, and there is no filter engine running on my router to bog it down, i did that before and my router crashed so many times, it was literally being attacked by peeps trying to connect to it.  and since they weren't in the MAC library of allowed, the router would connect them, then deny them access... really dragged my router down, and then plop, crash time.

The DGL-4500 is a great router, if you don't have a high speed stream running it constantly, then you need to modify, i took a laptop fan out of an old Dell Inspiron, and super glued it to the base stand to blow up into the top vents of the router, since it got hot enough to cook bacon.  now it always runs at a cool optimal temp, without slowing down either!  In other words, KEEP IT COOL it over heats and literally cooks itself to death.

5GHz really is just for the 300Mbps connection, i see no other reason Dlink or any other manufacturer uses it, 2.4Ghz hasn't been used by many house holds as a phone frequency for years, the phones sold that are at 2.4Ghz are so pathetic and list nearly nothing of interest that no one wants them, it's all 5.0Ghz or 6DECT now, and the finer tuning of the phones were even better, since they all have special security codes of there own, like your router has WEP.

Basically...
Make life easier...
remove the MAC filter, reserve all Device IP's, pick an annoying SSID, make SSID invisible, relax!

try the subnet idea, basically the routers share nets, Router A= 192.168.0.20-110, Router B= 192.168.0.110-199.

If you have more devices than the spectrum there, than you need a corporate switch.
Ubee DOCSIS 3.0 Cable Modem
DGL-4500 {wifi disabled
1x DGS-1005G
DIR-625 {converted to Switch/AP for wifi

Trikein

« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2010, 11:37:11 AM »

What did I miss? He is using Mac filtering? Yes, it gives added security, but most of the time its unneeded. Or are we saying your not using security? I have used my 4500 with up to 6 wireless clients at a time, with WPA2 and almost never had a problem. Granted, I don't have too many other wireless connections in my area, but still. It feels if I missed some background?

Also, sorry I still havent gotten back to you with my reply. Still sick, and wanted to do a reply to the guy with the antenna issue. As for me, Im off to the doctors. Good luck.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2010, 12:39:17 PM »

Hope you git to feeling better Trikein.

As for my wireless, I have been using N mode only at 2.5Ghz. As i've stated in other posts and learned from DLink themselves, the 5Ghz band should really be used in an environment with out walls and doors in the way and used in line of sight. It is a really high frequency and the higher the frequency the harder for the signal is to pass through walls and such. I have been working with the 5Ghz here and there on teh 4500 and the NG 3700 router. Both seem to exhibit the same issues when using 5Ghz in my house. It works great up to a point then the signal seems to drop off sharply and sometimes I can't get connected in the living room when I turn on my MBP. I think this is also the reason why you can't find PCI and USB adaptors using 5Ghz. Just hard to keep a good signal at that frequency I suppose. I think maybe adding the Hawkings Hi-Gain antennas might be worth a try. And there not too spendy either. My 2 cents.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

NKYadav

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2010, 02:25:30 PM »

Thanks for all the replies.

The funny thing is that I actually thought about doing just as Kamikazi suggested, setting the internal IPs as follows:

4500:  192.168.A.B        DHCP range:  192.168.A.(200-254) (because that is what it is already set to...)
4300:  192.168.A.(B+1)  DHCP range:  192.168.A.(100-150)

(Sorry if the letters are confusing, but I'm paranoid enough not to post my actual internal IPs....)

This way, I could control what connects to what, and yet all devices should be able to see other devices.

However, Trikein suggested that I use routes instead, allowing me to (hopefully!) have my current setup and still do everything that I need to, including device interconnectivity, regardless of which router they are connected to, as well as figuring out what else I need.

For the record, I am not using MAC address filtering - I have in the past, but it makes it too much of a headache to figure out why a guest cannot connect....

I am allowing for more than enough IP addresses for all the devices in my house (and then some!), but we now have 2 new HiDef TVs that also want connections to the Internet (presumably for firmware / software updates), and one of those (The LED/LCD 55" LG) is completely inaccessible (by wire) to the setup we have now - at least not without running 150'+ of wiring laying on the ground out in the open.  Having wired up 3 of the rooms in the house already, I can also say that putting a drop in the main 'living room', where this TV is located, is impossible (at least until I start drilling holes in crossbeams in the attic....)

As for 5.8 GHz and its inability to work well without LOS - wow, I would have figured the exact opposite, thanks for the heads up, FN.  This makes for an interesting issue, then, and one that I need to test thoroughly in my house - will I be better off leaving the 4500 at 2.4, and seeing how things perform (That is pretty much the setup I have now, but I was suspecting that having both routers in the 2.4 GHz range would produce weird interference issues - but perhaps not.

At any rate, I am going to explore Trike's routing idea, and see if that allows me to do what I want, and if that doesn't work, then I will definitely try kamikazi's suggestion (Oh, and thanks for the pat on the back for the degree - it's nice being able to say that after working in IT - end-user and desktop support - for over 15 years!).  Then, I am going to play around some more, including testing reception and connectivity with the 4500 both in 5.8 and 2.4 modes, and see how things work on my end.

In a conversation with Trike I had on GChat, he mentioned that I have the best of both worlds - not having to use a single router that supplies both connections, I am offloading a lot of the processing by having dual routers.  TBH, that is not really the reason I first went with this setup, though.  I originally had my 4500 doing G+N, but my DROID does not like my 4500 unless it is in G Mode only - and although my laptops *can* do G, it just wasn't nearly as speedy making my backups / transferring data from laptop to desktop.

Now, I am in the planning stages of setting up a Windows Home Server to store all data (my desktop has plenty of space, but the other desktop has a 250 GB HD - with 8 GB free.  I recently installed a spare 250 in there, but for some odd reason it says that the drive is too small for Windows Backup to use - yet another issue I need to figure out).  Anyway, the crux of the matter is that some of the users here are, well, shall we say, packrats - copies of the same thing in duplicate and even triplicate, all on the same drive, not understanding that having such redundancy is useless - if the HD is rendered unusable, all backups are gone, regardless, b/c all reside on the same physical medium.... *sigh*

(Dealing with family when it comes to IT issues is a major PITA!)

Anyway, I appreciate everyone's input on this.  I'll even try to make up nice little benchmarks and a mini-guide to post for future users to use if they ever find themselves in my situation.

EDIT:  Added the following:

Oh, one more question:  I tried to use the emulator for the 4300 to learn more about routes, but I keep getting the following error message:

An error occurred on this page.  This might be because you are not properly logged in, for example just after a reboot.  Press OK to go to the login page, or cancel if you want to see the error message.

happens in IE, Chrome and Firefox (though, oddly enough, not in Opera today, yesterday it did.)
« Last Edit: June 30, 2010, 02:30:05 PM by NKYadav »

NKYadav

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2010, 02:41:13 PM »

OK, I was going to edit my previous post again but this warrants a separate post.

Trikein had mentioned using routes, but he also mentioned setting up the 2 routers as bridged.  Would it be something as simple as disabling the DHCP server on the 4300, thus, in effect, letting the 4500 handle all of the DHCP addressing?  or would that nullify the separation I have now, since everything would still be connecting to the 4500 for IPs and whatnot?

Trikein

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2010, 06:21:10 PM »

No. thats exactly what you would do. In my DIR-638(Not sure on this, gave it away) it actually had a bridge mode.

But after doing some google hunting, I found this:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/networking-forum/networking-support/411153-solved-one-network-two-routers.html

and

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9907.0

They give two seperate ways. One is more complicated and uses a cross over cable. The other is just the DGL-4500 LAN into 4300's WAN, and then turn off the 4300 DHCP. Also, you would probably want to set the Gateway and DNS as that from the modem, and not the 4500, since that would increase your traffic. I think I was thinking of using routes because I thought didnt think the cross over would work. I was going off info found:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/networking-broadband/458401-how-setup-dgl-4300-switch-main-router-dir-655-a.html

As for the bug, yes, I get it too. This happens alot it seems when they update it and forget to update the directory. Could a Mod please inform someone for correction?

Module   IIS Web Core
Notification   MapRequestHandler
Handler   StaticFile
Error Code   0x80070002
Requested URL   http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dgl4300/17/Device_info.html
Physical Path   C:\Websites\support\emulators\dgl4300\17\Device_info.html
Logon Method   Anonymous
Logon User   Anonymous

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2010, 07:08:44 PM »

I know the Mod are looking at the forums, however just to be sure, I would send the MODs a PM to make sure they are aware of the web page link issue, Lycan and Sesca.
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

NKYadav

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2010, 07:56:18 PM »

No. thats exactly what you would do. In my DIR-638(Not sure on this, gave it away) it actually had a bridge mode.

But after doing some google hunting, I found this:

http://www.techsupportforum.com/networking-forum/networking-support/411153-solved-one-network-two-routers.html

and

http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=9907.0

They give two seperate ways. One is more complicated and uses a cross over cable. The other is just the DGL-4500 LAN into 4300's WAN, and then turn off the 4300 DHCP. Also, you would probably want to set the Gateway and DNS as that from the modem, and not the 4500, since that would increase your traffic. I think I was thinking of using routes because I thought didnt think the cross over would work. I was going off info found:

http://forums.vr-zone.com/networking-broadband/458401-how-setup-dgl-4300-switch-main-router-dir-655-a.html

As for the bug, yes, I get it too. This happens alot it seems when they update it and forget to update the directory. Could a Mod please inform someone for correction?

Module   IIS Web Core
Notification   MapRequestHandler
Handler   StaticFile
Error Code   0x80070002
Requested URL   http://support.dlink.com/emulators/dgl4300/17/Device_info.html
Physical Path   C:\Websites\support\emulators\dgl4300\17\Device_info.html
Logon Method   Anonymous
Logon User   Anonymous

Making crossover cables is nothing new to me, so if need be I will definitely do that as well.

However, I am pretty stoked that I may be able to accomplish all of it by just disabling the DHCP server in the 4300, setting it's gateway to the cable modem and the DNS to that supplied by my connection (or, if I choose to re-enable it, my Open DNS account) and then test everything.

This would, by far, be the best option for me b/c 1) I am already assigning reserved IPs to all devices that connect to the 4500 - including the 4300, and 2) it makes pure sense that all should work, and work well, using this setup.

I am going to try it out tomorrow (hard to tonight, too much going on, an I need to hit the sack within an hour, so I don't have a lot of time to test) but so far the connection as I have it now (4500 LAN --> 4300 WAN) is working without a hitch.  Of course, having the dual Ethernet connectors on my mobo also helps - I can be connected to both routers simultaneously and access both login pages simultaneously, and that makes life a lot easier.

One question, though - Should I set the 4300's gateway to whatever the 4500 is set (and thus have to deal with the fact that if my IP address changes, I have to manually change the 4300 again) or should I first experiment with leaving it set to the 4500 (thereby increasing the load on the 4500, but leaving it a lot more automatic in the rare case that my public IP changes)?

OK, just tried it out now by just removing the DHCP server from the 4300, and my DROID was unable to obtain an IP address - but I did not reboot the router after disabling the DHCP server, so there may be more to it.  I'll play for another 15 minutes, and then go back to my current settings and look at this all tomorrow after work.
Pages: 1 [2]