• April 18, 2024, 08:12:33 PM
  • Welcome, Guest
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

This Forum Beta is ONLY for registered owners of D-Link products in the USA for which we have created boards at this time.

Author Topic: Have a DIR-845L - trying to get cameras to record to NAS  (Read 8235 times)

froad

• Level 2 Member
Have a DIR-845L - trying to get cameras to record to NAS
« on: October 08, 2013, 06:25:36 PM »

My 1st post looking for help so please bear with me.

Problem:  Trying to get DLink cameras to save video and such to a DLink NAS through a DLink router.

Hardware:  Router - DLink DIR-845L
                NAS - DLink DNS-327L
                Camera(s) - DLink DCS-945L (X 2)
                Running XP (SP 3) on a desktop and Win 7 on laptop

Ok - I am new at the home network thing - I installed the router, added the camera's, then added in NAS. (used the wizard for all and it worked fine) - did all the firmware updates. They all are DLink and are "compatible" with each other.  What I am trying to do is have the camera's record to the NAS when they detect motion - I think I have to use the FTP option on the camera setup.  I have read a bunch, tried many things, but to to avail.  I can access all through the DLink "cloud" site - they are all there - the camera's record to the SD cards fine - I just need them to send video files to my NAS as I need the storage capacity and added benefits of doing this.

So I am wondering if anyone can help me out on this one ?  Sorry if I posted in the wrong "group" - but had to start somewhere as there are 3 different devices involved - and I thing the issue MAY be the way I set up the router?

Any and ALL help would be appreciated. 

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
  • D-Link Global Forum Moderator
    • FoundFootageCritic
Re: Have a DIR-845L - trying to get cameras to record to NAS
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 07:02:07 AM »

The DNS-327L has an app called My Surveillance that will enable you to monitor and record camera footage directly to the ShareCenter. Log into the web UI and navigate to Home > My Surveillance. If you are using the app for the first time, you will need to enable the app by right clicking on the icon.
Find answers here: D-Link ShareCenter FAQ I D-Link Network Camera FAQ
There's no such thing as too many backups FFC

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 07:06:13 AM »

. . . Also are you sure of the camera model? I'm not aware of a Cloud camera model DCS-945L.

FurryNutz

• Poweruser
  •   ▲
    ▲ ▲
    • Router Troubleshooting
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 07:07:40 AM »

Link>Welcome!

• What Hardware version is your router? Look at sticker under router.
  • Link>What Firmware version is currently loaded? Found on the routers web page under status.
  • What region are you located?
Cable: 1Gb/50Mb>NetGear CM1200>DIR-882>HP 24pt Gb Switch. COVR-1202/2202/3902,DIR-2660/80,3xDGL-4500s,DIR-LX1870,857,835,827,815,890L,880L,868L,836L,810L,685,657,3x655s,645,628,601,DNR-202L,DNS-345,DCS-933L,936L,960L and 8000LH.

froad

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 10:02:54 AM »

You are right - the camera is a 942 NOT 945.... in the camera set up there is an option to record events to a FTP - that's what I am trying to get it to do (thinking the NAS is a ftp/)  maybe this is where I am wrong and somehow need to set the NAS up differently ?  and not sure what part the router plays either.  Like I said, this is new to me ... and being in the retirement age group - I have to see/do/try things to get them to work - reading instructions is handy - I wish they were in plain english.  Thanks. anyway - ALL firmware has been updated on ALL units. - still the same - can not have camera "send" video to my NAS (trying to use it as a FTP)

Dave

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 11:01:52 AM »

The My Surveillance app supports the DCS-942L.  Yes, you can setup FTP, but I believe you will find it much easier and much more flexible to use the DNS-327L to manage recordings rather than manually configuring FTP. I use a similar app native to the DNS-345 -- and given the functionality and power of the app, I wouldn't even bother with FTP unless you absolutely have to.

A side benefit is that if you purchase multiple cameras, you can manage all of them, along with archived recordings, from a centralized application rather than saved files in an FTP directory.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:06:06 AM by JavaLawyer »

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 11:17:37 AM »

Hopefully we'll have a DNS-327L page up soon where I can move this thread. The ShareCenter is fairly new and a board has yet to be stood up in the forum. In the interim, I recommend that you visit the DCS-942L board for issues related to the camera. You can address general DNS-327L related issues on the DNS-320L board until things are flushed out -- the two products are similar, so the members who frequent the DNS-320L board should be able to answer most questions that come up.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 11:19:57 AM by JavaLawyer »

froad

• Level 2 Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 11:57:58 AM »

Thanks for the help everyone - I'll check the 320L stuff out - the Surveillance Centre does seem to work well and will fir my needs nicely - only 2 issues to resolve -  1) I changed the path for the files to go to the NAS (at least I tried) - however they are going somewhere else on my system... and 2) I wonder where they are stored ?  I can view them - but can not find which drive they are stored on - and changing the setup hasn;t helped yet.... but I'm getting there with your support.  THANKS

Dave

JavaLawyer

• BETA Tester
  • Level 15 Member
    • FoundFootageCritic
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 03:20:19 PM »

Glad I could help. Come to think of it, you may have better luck posting My Surveillance related questions in the DNS-325 forum. The DNS-327L is the successor to the DNS-325, and has a similar app.